Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Catch In Focus (Almost a great Idea) Sorry for beating a dead horse

I understand CIF is made for MF lenses, however, according to the K3 eBook page 135 : "Use a manual lens OR a DA or FA lens set to MF ( It will not work with a DA* lens)"

DA & FA lenses have a MF/AF switch??

What am I missing?

05-08-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of them do have an M/F switch on the lens. My FA 100 macro also has an M/F setting on the focus range switch. Works beautifully for catching bugs.

I have no idea whatsoever why anyone would say it doesn't work with DA* lenses. There is switch on my DA* 16-50/2.8. I never use that particular range of focal lengths with CIF, but I turned on my shutter half press AF in the menu (I usually use back button AF and that won't work because the AF switch on the shutter release is turned off). I set the lens to 50mm and minimum focus distance, held down the shutter release and got an in focus picture of my screen.
05-08-2017, 11:01 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have no idea whatsoever why anyone would say it doesn't work with DA* lenses. There is switch on my DA* 16-50/2.8.
Actually Albert, I said that. I didn't think about DA* lenses. I just meant my other AF lenses when I said CIF doesn't work. Sorry donlass, I should have paid more attention to what you asked.

My AF lenses don't have a MF/AF switch.
05-09-2017, 06:21 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's so much confusion about how to make this work. I really wish on new cameras Ricoh would make it a really clear option, either in the af/mf control on the camera body, or through a menu setting.

05-09-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I really wish on new cameras Ricoh would make it a really clear option, either in the af/mf control on the camera body, or through a menu setting.
Great idea! I am frustrated that it will not work with back button focus, having it as a selection on the af/mf control would be very nice.
05-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
There's so much confusion about how to make this work. I really wish on new cameras Ricoh would make it a really clear option, either in the af/mf control on the camera body, or through a menu setting.
The manual explains it pretty well. At least to me it did. It says which types of lenses can be used. It also gives you the settings on how to use Catch in Focus. If you have a K-50, it's on page 113 of the manual. For which ever camera you have, check the index listing for this option.

When I use it for insects, though they are always moving though not as fast as sports or similar, my camera is moving. In and out to get proper focus on the teeny tiny insect I'm try to catch in focus.

And I forgot who mentioned to me that I should be using this option for what I do because of my shaky hands, they said it would work better and I didn't have to worry so much that my hands did shake because the camera wouldn't fire until the subject was in focus.

Bottom line, it does work for me.

Shot this using catch in focus mode:
05-09-2017, 07:22 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I am frustrated that it will not work with back button focus, having it as a selection on the af/mf control would be very nice.
What's the big deal of back button focus when you still have to press the shutter button to take the photo?
With catch in focus, you hold the shutter button all the way down, not half press to achieve focus, then when your subject is in focus, the camera trips the shutter for you.

05-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Sorry donlass
No worries, essentially you were correct.
05-09-2017, 07:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The first camera I owned with Snap In Focus was the SF-1 that I still have. I didn't have any AF lenses, but sure learned how SIF worked and used it a lot. I still use it a lot. I agree that they sort of hide it in the instructions, but for anyone who wants to know how, here's my take, using my K-3 menus:
  1. Capture menu page 4
  2. Button customization
  3. AF Button to AF1 or Cancel AF to enable the shutter release AF
  4. Custom menu page 4
  5. Catch-In-Focus > 2. (On)
  6. Camera body set to AF
  7. On my K-3 it works with either AF-S or AF-C
  8. Lens set to MF
  9. Manually focus the lens to the desired target distance
My first tests were done with the SF-1 on tripod on my front porch
  1. Focus on hummingbird feeder perch
  2. Change camera focus point a bit above the perch.
  3. AF is then triggered on bird arrival
  4. Connect cable release
  5. Turn camera on
  6. Lock cable release on
  7. Go have supper
  8. After supper remove film
  9. At earliest opportunity, have the film developed
  10. Admire 3 shots of male rufous touching down

Actually Albert, I said that.
No offense intended. I thought it was the e-Book that said it the way it was quoted.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 05-09-2017 at 07:35 AM.
05-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
No offense taken or intended.
After reading donlass' post, I thought it only fair that I fess up.

I like your method. I don't have hummingbird feeders up yet but I do have a safflower feeder up that attracts small birds that are hard to catch in flight with my method, I don't shoot catch in focus with my long lens setup but after reading your instructions perhaps I should try it. My long lens is MF.
05-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The manual explains it pretty well. At least to me it did. It says which types of lenses can be used. It also gives you the settings on how to use Catch in Focus. If you have a K-50, it's on page 113 of the manual. For which ever camera you have, check the index listing for this option.

When I use it for insects, though they are always moving though not as fast as sports or similar, my camera is moving. In and out to get proper focus on the teeny tiny insect I'm try to catch in focus.

And I forgot who mentioned to me that I should be using this option for what I do because of my shaky hands, they said it would work better and I didn't have to worry so much that my hands did shake because the camera wouldn't fire until the subject was in focus.

Bottom line, it does work for me.

Shot this using catch in focus mode:
For sure, it's a really neat feature. My only gripe is that I feel it should be easily available as a focus option for any lens. Set it to CIF manual focus, hold down shutter and go.
05-09-2017, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

True it would nice if it worked for any lens, I agree there. But using CIF, the camera has to be set on AF.S or AF.C, not M. But AF lenses that have a MF/AF switch can also be used. Just move the switch to MF.
05-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is very annoying I can not use CIF with DFA 50 or DFA 100. What was Ricoh thinking? Some engineer guy got paid a lot of money for this, but on the bright side it gives me a reason to use some old glass......
05-09-2017, 07:45 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After reading donlass' post, I thought it only fair that I fess up.

I like your method. I don't have hummingbird feeders up yet but I do have a safflower feeder up that attracts small birds that are hard to catch in flight with my method, I don't shoot catch in focus with my long lens setup but after reading your instructions perhaps I should try it. My long lens is MF.
I commonly use it with my M 400/5.6. You'll like it, I'm sure. It doesn't work with the AFA 1.7x because he 1.7x doesn't have a MF/AF switch. And that's when it would really be handy. The depth of focus is measured in microns.
05-09-2017, 07:46 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by donlass Quote
It is very annoying I can not use CIF with DFA 50 or DFA 100.
I agree it's annoying because I have a Sigma 400mm AF lens with no switch to change it to MF.

Now I'm looking for longer than my only long lens that is MF, but is only 200mm.