Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2017, 02:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dual SD Card

I recently bought a second sd card for my K-3.
A scandisk UHS-1 90MB/s speed.
Before this, I had a samsung UHS-1 card. I dont remember the speed.

After adding the second card I realised that when I take a shot and immediately want to review it, I get the hour glass churning. It was really surprising and annoying.
I still could take several shoots without the buffer filling up. But immediately i press play I got the hour glass.

Is this a dual card thing or an SD card thing?

Culture.

06-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's particular to that card, not a dual card thing.
06-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It could be both, the size will make a difference, my 16gb and 64gb Extreme Pro cards are faster than my 32gb, this causes the hour glass to appear when trying to view pictures. How you have your cards set up will also effect write time. i have found that 64gb Samsung Pro+ cards work the fastest for me in my K3.

Last edited by kjphilippona; 06-11-2017 at 07:32 AM.
06-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote

After adding the second card I realised that when I take a shot and immediately want to review it, I get the hour glass churning. It was really surprising and annoying.
I still could take several shoots without the buffer filling up. But immediately i press play I got the hour glass.

Culture.
This is an issue which has started being addressed on newer bodies like the K-70 and K-1, but generally speaking if you save to both cards, writing files (and thus the hourglass) will take more time. It's a safe bet that you'll get the best performance with two equally fast cards, otherwise use the faster card for raw files and the slower one for jpegs.

On the newer bodies, the camera unlocks earlier, while files are still being written.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote

Culture.
I get the same thing when I do as you did. It seems to take a few seconds before the transfer is finished. You can also notice this if you turn off the camera right after taking a photo. It completes the processing before shutting down. I use Lexar cards and have set the camera to record both JPEG and RAW. Perhaps this is a factor.

Last edited by Yoda boy; 06-01-2017 at 03:50 PM. Reason: left out a word