Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3II Wired Remote Control Port

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am assuming that the Wired Remote Control Port is where I would plug in a shutter release cable if I want to use one with V5 transceivers for remote shutter release, and that the Wired Remote Control Port is 2.5 mm on the K-3II. I am just checking to make sure. Anyone agree or disagree on this assumption? Please let me know. Thank you. Below is a shortcut to the product that I am almost certain will work with the scenario I am considering.

Vello 3.5mm Remote Shutter Release Cable for Cameras RCC-C1-3.5

06-03-2017, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I understand right you want to use the remote shutter release ability of the Cactus v5 transceivers to remotely fire the shutter? I think the camera is 2.5mm and the Cactus port is 3.5mm so you need 2.5 on one end and 3.5 on the other of the cable. Did your Cactus v5 come with any cables?

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 04:06 PM ----------

Here is the Cactus cable: https://www.amazon.com/Cactus-Shutter-Sub-Mini-Samsung-Cameras/dp/B008559VE8...ntaxforums-20&

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 04:07 PM ----------

And link to the Cactus website cable page: Cables | CACTUS
06-03-2017, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think the camera is 2.5mm
Yes, the camera is 2.5mm. The connector is 2.5mm TRS with three contacts per the photo below:

I don't remember the specifics of the contact mapping, though the scheme is shared with several Canon bodies (Rebel/Rebel XT/Xti/Xsi/DS/EOS 30D/33D/50D/60D/300 and probably several others).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-03-2017 at 04:22 PM.
06-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I built a cable that sort of works, if you hold it just right, from a 2.5mm mono cable from a flash and a 3.5mm stereo replacement plug wired together. It works well enough to prove the concept, but I would just buy the official cable if I was going to use it much. However, I can report that it DOES work if you wire the cable right.

06-03-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If I understand right you want to use the remote shutter release ability of the Cactus v5 transceivers to remotely fire the shutter? I think the camera is 2.5mm and the Cactus port is 3.5mm so you need 2.5 on one end and 3.5 on the other of the cable. Did your Cactus v5 come with any cables?

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 04:06 PM ----------

Here is the Cactus cable: https://www.amazon.com/Cactus-Shutter-Sub-Mini-Samsung-Cameras/dp/B008559VE8...ntaxforums-20&

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 04:07 PM ----------

And link to the Cactus website cable page: Cables | CACTUS

You understand exactly. The remote shutter firing you described is what I was interested in. Thanks for the 2.5 and 3.5 specs also. I ordered my V5s (two 2 packs), 4 in all, but will not receve them for a few days. Do you know if they come with a cable like we are discussing already in the box, or would I have to purchase the one you listed? Thanks for your informative/attentive response, that helps.

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 08:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, the camera is 2.5mm. The connector is 2.5mm TRS with three contacts per the photo below:

I don't remember the specifics of the contact mapping, though the scheme is shared with several Canon bodies (Rebel/Rebel XT/Xti/Xsi/DS/EOS 30D/33D/50D/60D/300 and probably several others).

Steve
Thanks for the confirmation of the plug size Steve. I appreciate your help.

---------- Post added 06-03-17 at 08:51 PM ----------

I looked and found that the V5 duo (2 packs) supposedly come with the following:

"Cactus V5 Transceiver (2) - Flash Stand (FS-5) (2) - 3.5mm Plug Cable (CA-350) - 6.35mm Plug Adapter (PA-635) - PC Sync Cable (CA-100) - AAA Battery (2) - Cactus 1 Year Warranty"

In that listing of contents it describes (2) 3.5 mm plugs (CA-350) for the off camera strobes and V5 units connected to them. It also describes (2) PC Sync Cables (CA-100), which have the one end that is for a PC port.

So it seems that the Cactus cable "CACTUS SHUTTER CABLE FOR CANON PENTAX SAMSUNG (SC-C1)" that Jatrax pointed out is an alternative for the remote firing I described. I will wait and see what I get with my V5s, and if I find I need the cable Jatrax described I will get it.

Thank you to you both for the helpful responses.

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-03-2017 at 05:53 PM.
06-03-2017, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Do you know if they come with a cable like we are discussing already in the box, or would I have to purchase the one you listed?
I had it in my head that a cable came with but that has been years ago. I checked and found that I actually made a cable so I would take from that (and their website) that a shutter cable is optional and does not come with. Checking my gear drawer I find a couple of sync cables but no shutter cable except my homemade one so I think I am correct on that. Makes sense as there are 3 or 5 different cables depending on your camera so shipping all of those to everyone would be a big waste.
I feel you will need to purchase the cable separate but no harm in waiting until the triggers arrive to be sure.
06-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I had it in my head that a cable came with but that has been years ago. I checked and found that I actually made a cable so I would take from that (and their website) that a shutter cable is optional and does not come with. Checking my gear drawer I find a couple of sync cables but no shutter cable except my homemade one so I think I am correct on that. Makes sense as there are 3 or 5 different cables depending on your camera so shipping all of those to everyone would be a big waste.
I feel you will need to purchase the cable separate but no harm in waiting until the triggers arrive to be sure.
I also think that a separate purchase of the cable will be required if I need it. I will wait for my V5s, test them for proper operation, and buy the cable if the tests come out alright.

Thanks a lot for your guidance. I have the information I was looking for because of your help.

06-04-2017, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Confirming that the challenge is making sure the pin-out on either end of the cable matches up. It is fairly easy to find the pin-out for the Pentax body side - if nothing else, search for the pin-out on the Canon 2.5mm jack as it is compatible. As I have no experience with the V5, getting the pin-out for that side might be a bit more of a challenge. If you need multiple V5 to camera body cables and really want to roll your own, it may be worth while to buy one cable and use the continuity setting on a VOM to figure out that translation.

I use a TriggerTrap for remote release and it too has a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable for use with Pentax/Canon. I'm mentioning this because I have the short TriggerTrap to camera cable, but if I want to add distance, I can just use one of the inexpensive 3.5mm stereo extension cables. I plug the extension into the TriggerTrap's 3.5mm port and the TriggerTrap cable at the other end into my camera - - and I picked up a pair off-the-shelf 3.5mm <> 2.5mm stereo adapters. I can plug those into my extension cable and convert it to a 2.5mm extension cable. I can then use my wired remote release with its shorter cable much further away from the camera.
06-04-2017, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some examples from German eBay.

Headset Audio Adapter von 3,5 mm Buchse auf 2,5 mm Klinke Stecker Jack Stereo | eBay

Hama 43495 - Winkeladapter Klinke, Stereo, 3,5-mm-Kupplung - 2,5-mm-Stecker 90° | eBay

InLineŽ Klinken Adapterkabel 2,5mm Stecker -&gt; 3,5mm Buchse, Stereo, 0,2m | eBay

Audio Klinken Adapter Stecker 3,5mm zu Klinkenbuchse 2,5mm Stereo vergoldet NEU

Prior to using it, you should check whether the cactus cable does not use another signal scheme than Pentax/Canon. But this is unlikely.
06-04-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Confirming that the challenge is making sure the pin-out on either end of the cable matches up. It is fairly easy to find the pin-out for the Pentax body side - if nothing else, search for the pin-out on the Canon 2.5mm jack as it is compatible. As I have no experience with the V5, getting the pin-out for that side might be a bit more of a challenge. If you need multiple V5 to camera body cables and really want to roll your own, it may be worth while to buy one cable and use the continuity setting on a VOM to figure out that translation.

I use a TriggerTrap for remote release and it too has a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable for use with Pentax/Canon. I'm mentioning this because I have the short TriggerTrap to camera cable, but if I want to add distance, I can just use one of the inexpensive 3.5mm stereo extension cables. I plug the extension into the TriggerTrap's 3.5mm port and the TriggerTrap cable at the other end into my camera - - and I picked up a pair off-the-shelf 3.5mm <> 2.5mm stereo adapters. I can plug those into my extension cable and convert it to a 2.5mm extension cable. I can then use my wired remote release with its shorter cable much further away from the camera.
Thank you.

---------- Post added 06-04-17 at 11:56 AM ----------

Thank you.