Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K-3 II "Dust Alert" questions:

The body has Version 1.10 f/w, and has the gen BG-5 grip and both batteries (1x Pentax, 1x 3rd party ) are showing full charge.

My questions are:

- The most important one = What would cause the Dust Alert function to fail (3 times with grip & once without, so far) and report that the operation cannot be completed?

- Why is the Dust Alert function greyed out with an old non-AF SMC A-50 (and I did enter the focal length beforehand) but is available with the 18-135 I just replaced that with?

Thanks in advance.

John

Last edited by jeallen01; 06-09-2017 at 11:16 AM.
06-09-2017, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
- The most important one = What would cause the Dust Alert function to fail (3 times with grip & once without, so far) and report that the operation cannot be completed?
The most likely cause is that the camera is not pointed at a well-lit, blank, light-colored (white) wall with little or no detail/texture. The time to complete is a second or two at most.

As for why the feature is not supported with a non-AF lens, I suspect that the lens must be defocused while the test is done with the camera in control.

Steve
06-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As for why the feature is not supported with a non-AF lens, I suspect that the lens must be defocused while the test is done with the camera in control.
I think that's correct.

John - you probably know this already, but just in case... An alternative to using the dust alert feature (and the method I generally use, as it's the same for any camera) is to stop down as far as possible - either using the camera or, for manual lenses, the aperture ring - and set the focus all the way to infinity, then take a photo of a nearby light-coloured wall, a sheet of paper or a clear sky. The dust bunnies will show up nicely on the photo

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-09-2017 at 12:35 PM.
06-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The most likely cause is that the camera is not pointed at a well-lit, blank, light-colored (white) wall with little or no detail/texture. The time to complete is a second or two at most.

Steve
Steve

Many Thanks for your info and suggestions:

Ref your comment on the first question, that could be the reason because it was pointed roughly at a PC on the desk - so will try again with it pointed at a blank door/wall/ whatever.

Ref your comment on the second question: I will try that as well - but it seemed to be greyed out from "power ON" without my having focused the lens or done anything else, and I'm suspecting that the process needs to be done with a compatible AF lens fitted so that the body processor gets the signals from the lens that it expects.

---------- Post added 06-09-17 at 08:38 PM ----------

Mike

Thanks also

Didn't read your post until after Steve's, but your comment seems to reinforce his on the 2nd question - will look more closely at that tomorrow.