Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #1

PC port usage on K3

I did a search for this topic and didn't find anything, so I hope this hasn't already been covered. I've had my K3 for a few years but have never had occasion to use the PC port since I use a radio transmitter to trigger studio flashes. However, I had an incident where I was all set up for a shoot (thankfully, not anything professional but to take shots of my daughter for her 4-H project) and the radio transmitter didn't work due to a dead battery in the transmitter. What's more, my spare battery was dead, too. I was tempted to try using the PC port but opted to get a new battery for the transmitter and continue the shoot later. I've had my studio lights for a long time and have no idea what the trigger voltage might be. I'm guessing that can be an issue, just as it is for on-camera flash, but I've never heard it addressed. I looked in my camera manual where the PC port is mentioned, but there are no warnings about trigger voltage--no stipulations at all, in fact. Anyway, I didn't want to take a chance on damaging my K3, but I would like to know if others have used the PC port with monolights and whether I have to be careful with it. It would be great to have that option in a pinch, if it were necessary. I have a multimeter and know how to determine the voltage on my on-camera flashes, but I have no idea how to do this for my monolights. Any information would be appreciated!

07-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You should assume any flash with a trigger voltage greater than 5VDC could damage a modern camera. If the manual for the monolight makes no mention of voltages, and if it is old, I would contact the mfgr. Alternatively, purchase a Wein Safe-Sync. You would measure the monolight voltage at the PC cable contacts, same as any external flash. Just remember voltage entertains but it's current that kills....
07-15-2017, 11:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would assume that any voltage which is (un)safe at the hotshoe is also (un)safe at the PC port. The advice given above is logically correct.
07-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for this information and the suggestion about the Wein Safe Sync. I forgot that they make one specifically for PC ports. As for using my multimeter to determine voltage, I understand I would put one probe in the PC port, but where would I put the other probe?

07-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mayberrygal Quote
Thank you for this information and the suggestion about the Wein Safe Sync. I forgot that they make one specifically for PC ports. As for using my multimeter to determine voltage, I understand I would put one probe in the PC port, but where would I put the other probe?
Take a look at this closeup of the PC socket. There are two metal surfaces on the corresponding cable end. Your test probes contact these surfaces. Must be careful to not let either probe short the outer and inner contacts directly. As suggested above, try contacting the monolight mfgr.

Prontor-Compur - Wikipedia

Here is a list of strobe system voltages that may be useful:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

And a discussion of the issue with examples of why you should procede with caution:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0ahUKEwj...yPvdFQ&cad=rja

Last edited by FilmORbitz; 07-18-2017 at 07:26 AM. Reason: more info
07-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
Great information! And very helpful--thanks! I still don't know about my own monolights. They were produced by Photogenic, but the models I have are not listed on the one site. However, if I really need to use them corded, I'll invest in the Wein Safe Sync for that purpose. In the meantime, I'll make sure I have working batteries for my radio trigger, and that will make it a moot point. At least now I know not to chance using my K-3's PC port without protection.