Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New to me...SR equivalent of the mirror flop issue? (K-3ii)

Hey,
Today while I was photographing a displaying Goshawk with my K-3II, an interesting thing happened. At some point right in the middle of a continuous series of shots, the camera started to vibrate and rumble audibly, pretty much like an exaggerated version of what happens when you engage the dust removal routine; it was rather reminiscent of the mirror flop issue that I have experienced a few times with my K-3, although now no mirror flopping was involved and the camera just kept shooting properly exposed images. However, the images taken during that rumble were blurred compared to the ones taken before it happened, all the more obvious because it happened in the middle of a series. Problem persisted until I switched the camera off, but thankfully did not return after I switched it back on straight away (i.e. I didn't need to pull the battery to remedy the problem).

It seems to me the shake reduction mechanism went crazy for a bit. This is new to me, although I don't read every thread on the forum. Has this happened to others before?

Details that may or may not be relevant: I was shooting at AF-C, high frame rate setting, with DFA 150 -450mm. Temperature was about 20 C, air humidity close to saturated (just before it started to rain). I've taken about 41,000 shots with this camera (bought new), first (and so far only) time this has happened.

07-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Can be triggered by EMI, not necessarily related to camera.
07-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you have the camera perfectly stationary, i.e. mounted on a sturdy tripod with SR turned on? If so, I've heard stories of the SR going berserk because it's searching for camera movement to correct, and upon not finding any movement, things go crazy/unstable. I used to hear of this more around 5-10 years ago, but maybe it's still an issue at times?

If this is the case, be sure to turn SR off whenever shooting using a tripod. The manual recommends this, BTW.
07-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
Forum Member

If you're shooting hand held it won't apply, but I've had my SR rumble audibly on a tripod when I forgot to turn it off. The SR causes the tripod to resonate, and then the SR tries to stabilize the shake it is actually causing, which just makes things worse. But it didn't keep doing it; it was only for a second or two at a time.

07-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
Handheld. I was pointing straight up when it started happening, which may be an unusual position for the SR mechanism. However, it kept doing it until I turned the camera off and on.
07-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OJGoreng Quote
Handheld. I was pointing straight up when it started happening, which may be an unusual position for the SR mechanism. However, it kept doing it until I turned the camera off and on.
Mirror-flop equivalent? I guess so if what you mean something like the runaway mirror fault that affected some of the early K-3 where the problem would not resolve until the camera was turned off or depowered.* Every once in a while there is a report on this site of a camera not behaving according to its programming where the only remedy is to do a power cycle or battery removal. The usual suspects are:
  • Low battery
  • High transient load on a compromised battery (voltage sag)
  • Cosmic rays
  • EMI
  • Bad internal connection
  • Component gone bad
  • Moisture intrusion
Yours is the first that might be related to camera attitude and/or high frame rate causing SR symptoms. If it keeps happening, a service call may be in order.

Steve

* Mirror flop was a problem with the K-5, K-r and a few other bodies that presented with very different symptoms.
07-25-2017, 11:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I get that in live view when I zoom a lens. All the time every time on my K-5II.

08-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I had the same problem with my K-3. It ended up with a sensor assembly failure - the sensor developed a tilt. I sent the camera to Ricoh through the official dealer and they quoted the repair price of 500 Euros.
09-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OJGoreng Quote
Hey,
Today while I was photographing a displaying Goshawk with my K-3II, an interesting thing happened. At some point right in the middle of a continuous series of shots, the camera started to vibrate and rumble audibly, pretty much like an exaggerated version of what happens when you engage the dust removal routine; it was rather reminiscent of the mirror flop issue that I have experienced a few times with my K-3, although now no mirror flopping was involved and the camera just kept shooting properly exposed images. However, the images taken during that rumble were blurred compared to the ones taken before it happened, all the more obvious because it happened in the middle of a series. Problem persisted until I switched the camera off, but thankfully did not return after I switched it back on straight away (i.e. I didn't need to pull the battery to remedy the problem).

It seems to me the shake reduction mechanism went crazy for a bit. This is new to me, although I don't read every thread on the forum. Has this happened to others before?

Details that may or may not be relevant: I was shooting at AF-C, high frame rate setting, with DFA 150 -450mm. Temperature was about 20 C, air humidity close to saturated (just before it started to rain). I've taken about 41,000 shots with this camera (bought new), first (and so far only) time this has happened.
It's happened once to me with a K-3. Like you described, I was just walking around snapping photos here and there and suddenly the whole camera was vibrating and making an audible (loud) buzzing noise. All controls were unresponsive, but I could turn the camera off and on again, and the problem stopped. Only lasted 1-2 seconds. I have the latest firmware, and it's only happened once in 100K shots.

I've had mirror-flop, mirror-flop with the camera self-rebooting, and complete freezes (this is extra annoying when the power switch no longer works and you need to take the battery out - if you've got a grip on, then you need to disconnect the grip to be able to pull the battery from the body.)