Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

Would you step up from your K3II to the KP if not WHY???

Would you get ride of your K3II and get a new KP Pentax? What would keep you from doing this? I am on the fence on both cameras. The main thing I do like better on the new KP is its being able to move the rear screen especially for over head and low shots. Give your pros and cons on upgrading to the KP? Feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bill

07-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3II is in the Pentax 'pro' line with top LCD, LI-90 battery and has a built in GPS. The KP is a wonderful camera from the specs but it is in the 'consumer' line with the LI-109 battery, no GPS, no top LCD. So for me the answer would be no. Regardless of other features changing batteries is not something I want to do since I have a number of LI-90s and travel chargers. And no GPS is a deal breaker, for me. YMMV.
07-27-2017, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

GPS/Astrotracer, dual SD slots, FPS coupled with larger buffer
07-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I see it more of a step sideways in some areas, a step back on others, and a step forward on a few on moving from a k3II to the KP

On getting the KP:
Main pros are: Newer sensor, newer processor, addition of a mechanical shutter (and longer Bulb time)
Main cons are: Lower battery life (and different battery), way smaller buffer size (1/3 the size of the k3II)

If you're updating from an older model (k30/ks1/etc.) I'd go with the KP. If you already have a K3II and planning to upgrade, I would say wait until the K3II replacement is announced/available, since it'll have the newer (slightly improved specs) stuff from the K1 & KP packed in it.

Last edited by disconnekt; 07-27-2017 at 09:22 PM.
07-27-2017, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, GPS is the entire reason I even looked at Pentax. I haven't owned a camera without built in GPS since 2008.
07-27-2017, 09:42 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Would you step up from a banana to a papaya? If not, why not?

I have a K-3 and have not yet found a compelling reason to migrate...seriously. I am sure there is probably a car analogy somewhere that is appropriate. There are also probably five solid deal-breakers, but I will leave that to other commenters.

Steve

(...step up? A long step sideways perhaps...)
07-27-2017, 10:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nope, If I already have a K3 or 3II and I wanted to "step up". K1 is the real step up.
Yes, If I am already a Pentax user. Let say, I already have a K3II, and looking for another APS-C body + I have money to spend, Yes, KP looks like a very good choice.
May be, If I am new to Pentax and looking for a good / best Pentax APS-C then KP or K3, K3II depend on how much I want to spend.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 07-27-2017 at 10:37 PM.
07-27-2017, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Whether you consider the KP to be a step up from the K-3 & K-3II depends on your priorities.

The KP's high ISO image quality and range is significantly improved, and there are some neat additional features and upgrades. But, the K-3 and K-3II have a larger buffer for burst shooting (and a slightly faster burst rate, too), dual cards, longer shutter life, full magnesium alloy build (including the top plate), IR remote capability, top-plate LCD display, considerably longer battery life, and the K-3II has built-in GPS. Plus, the larger form-factor and grip is, arguably, better suited for larger lenses - though that's subjective, to some extent.

Not all of those features are essential to me, but losing them wouldn't feel like a step up, either.

I wouldn't switch to the KP, although I certainly wouldn't mind owning one as an additional piece of kit - if only for the improved high ISO capability, which is impressive. I tried one out at a show earlier this year... Nice camera, for sure

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
K1 is the real step up.
Only if the format works for you. Wildlife and sports shooters, for example, would probably disagree

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-27-2017 at 11:53 PM.
07-28-2017, 01:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^ What they said!
07-28-2017, 01:29 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Gold Coast Quote
Would you get ride of your K3II and get a new KP Pentax? What would keep you from doing this? I am on the fence on both cameras. The main thing I do like better on the new KP is its being able to move the rear screen especially for over head and low shots. Give your pros and cons on upgrading to the KP? Feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bill
Lots of discussion on this topic in our review:

Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Also, here's a quick look at how the specs differ:

Pentax KP vs K-3 II: Do we have a new flagship? - Product Updates | PentaxForums.com

Generally speaking the KP has an edge in many areas over the K-3 II (notably image quality and UI features) because it's newer, but overall it's meant to be a mid-range model and not the top-of-the-line APS-C offering.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-28-2017, 02:31 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
no, wait for the K-3 II replacement to see what’s on offer
07-28-2017, 05:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GPS - no OGPS on the hotshoe allows me to easily mount a ring flash.
Top LCD - in bright sun allows me to quickly check and modify settings.

The KP looks like a great piece of kit, though. It will be interesting to see what the K3 replacement will offer.
07-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I can't even get the wife to step up from a K-5 to a K-P. It all depends on the shooter.

The type of images we take look just as good on the K-5 as they do taken with a K-1. We've never done a print or seen an image on the screen that justifies even a K-3 for her. I like the K-3 24 MP for crop value, I use that camera for images that are almost always cropped. The little bit of extra dynamic range or high ISO performance isn't a big deal very often if at all.

Last edited by normhead; 07-28-2017 at 07:07 AM.
07-28-2017, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I upgraded from K5 to K3II for three reasons: Built-in GPS allows that flash, removal of AA filter is better for macro, 24MP allows more aggressive cropping. I would agree for most work, the K5 is still more than enough camera.

Fourth reason - faster screw drive. I think it's making a difference, but would have to shoot side-by-side to really know.
07-28-2017, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like Steve, I shoot a K-3 and fail to see any compelling reason to seek for a replacement or "upgrade". It keeps giving me great images, with the added bonus that after three years of use, I'm beginning to know how to make it sing without having to think much about it.

The soonest I would even contemplate adding a new camera body to my gear wishlist would be when Ricoh releases a worthy K-3 II successor. Seriously, why would I want to ditch an expert-level flagship for a retro-ergonomics mid-range model? I trust that the KP's IQ improvements and attractive features like the focus bracketing will find their way into the upcoming top-of-the-line offering.

For the time being, my focus remains on closing gaps in my lens and accessory kit, and otherwise on enjoying photography with what I have and can do with it, which is quite a bit.

BTW, the attached image of our doggy dame enjoying the last rays of the evening sun in our garden was taken with my cheapest lens, the plastic-fantastic DA 50mm F1.8. A "lazy" image, in a way, but it means a lot to me. To get it, I observed the light, sensed the right moment, and intuitively knew how the gear would record it and what I would have to do to nail it. Go figure.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 07-28-2017 at 09:00 AM.