Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2017, 03:56 AM   #1

K-3 hotshoe problem. How to repair?

Hello. My K-3 hotshoe sometimes works and sometimes not. In some cases it starts to work after turning camera 90 deegrees left or right or after gentle tap near the flash mount, fires few times then stops again. I don't know exact construction of this element, but it looks like an unsoldered wire or loose connector of some kind, I guess?

EDIT: It seems problem occurs only with my YN 560 III flashes and YN 560 TX (Nikon version). My Metz 58 seems to fire everytime, although behaves a bit strangely (in manual mode sometimes changes zoom after turning camera left or right...).

So I have few questions

1. Do my guessings have a sense? What other thing could possibly cause this kind of malfunction?
2. Is there a way to access hotshoe connector easier than on that video (thank You, Carman!)
3. Any other advices are welcome (link to service manual, other videos, etc.)

Michael

08-27-2017, 04:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd sooner suspect a poor connection of the flash contacts with the hot shoe than a problem with the hot shoe itself.
08-27-2017, 05:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I'd sooner suspect a poor connection of the flash contacts with the hot shoe than a problem with the hot shoe itself.
Exactly my thought. Right idea, wrong end of the connection. I'd start by making sure A- camera contacts and all spring pins on flashes are clean of any insulating oxidation, B- the pin springs on the flashes are still fairly strong. C- that the flashes are mounted squarely and tightly on the shoe. ... and D- while I have no experience with your specific flashes, I do know that in many cases a flash might have a factory-interchangeable foot so the core electronics will work with a range of camera brands. Is there any chance the feet on your flashes are not quite square to the flash shoe?
08-28-2017, 04:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hmmm, hmmm - as strange as it seems to me, it is possible, that You have right... I scratched central pin a bit with scissors and now lamp failed only once in over thirty shots (its fail rate was c.a. 70% before). What is the best way to clean hotshoe (pins have fine pattern on them, I wouldnt like to damage it)?

To be honest I suspected this might be the reason too and I tried to wipe hotshoe connectors with a tissue and then slide lamp forth and back for some times but it just didn't work. So I thought, that It is not possible, that somewhat sharp pin of the YN 560 couldn't remove something, that covers hotshoe connectors. Anyone could explain me why that happend?

(All my flashes and controllers worked with that body without problems before so it's not compatibility problem. Also problem is camera-side, since I tested it with more than one flash with exactly the same result.)

08-28-2017, 05:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

most electronics repair shops (including camera shops that do repairs) will have an anti-oxidation fluid. It literally takes only a tiny drop on a swab to clean both camera and flash contacts.
08-28-2017, 05:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Polish the contacts using the eraser on the end of a pencil. Even better is one of those ink erasers that one used to use with a typewriter. If you have some serious corrosion, you'll need some fine sand paper or an emery board.
08-28-2017, 05:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
Polish the contacts using the eraser on the end of a pencil. Even better is one of those ink erasers that one used to use with a typewriter. If you have some serious corrosion, you'll need some fine sand paper or an emery board.
Go easy with the eraser. Most contacts have only a thin layer of gold. The gold is fairly oxidation resistant, but not completely resistant.And the material under the gold layer is typically far less resistant to oxidation.

If you use too much pressure with the eraser, you will wear away the gold layer. That is why I recommend the anti-oxidant fluids. They are not inexpensive but a very small tube can last for many years.

08-28-2017, 05:59 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank You all! will try to determine where can I get that fluid in Poland

Why moving flash forth and back didn't remove the insulating oxidation?

EDIT: I found some "Fluids for cleaning electric connectors". I guess this shoud work?
EDIT2: Are Pentax hotshoes gold-plated?

Last edited by dr_Fell; 08-28-2017 at 06:08 AM.
08-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're dealing with gold plating, one should use caution. However, I've not seen gold-plated contacts on Yongnou flashes or Pentax hot shoes, of which I have both.
08-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #10

Original Poster
Does isopropyl alcohol remove insulating oxidationor will I need dedicated fluid? I see, that many people use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning connectors.
08-30-2017, 03:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dr_Fell Quote
Does isopropyl alcohol remove insulating oxidationor will I need dedicated fluid? I see, that many people use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning connectors.
No. Isopropyl alcohol will remove grease and dirt, but not oxidation. Electronic contact cleaner should work. Do not spray on the contacts. If non-spray liquid is not available, spray into a clean paper cup and dampen a swab to use on the contact areas.
08-30-2017, 06:06 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks!
08-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #13

This is very interesting, I was assisting a wedding photographer and as we were setting up for the reception he disappeared. I found him in the hall screwing back the base of his Flashpoint flash. He told me that over time the base gets loose and he unscrewed the base plate of the flash which where four screws and tighten up the screws of the flash pin. He had this happened to home before and before it became trouble he adjusted it. He used to use Yongnuos and said it happened to those too. He also told me the same thing could happen to your camera's hot shoe and you would do the same thing. This seems to sound a lot like what you are describing. I haven't tried this or run into this issue but you may want to give it a try. Good luck.
09-04-2017, 02:37 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for suggestion Angel. So far it seems it was just oxidation, but that info may be helpful in the future!