Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2017, 01:59 AM   #1

K3 ii and battery life

Hello everyone,

I have my K3 ii now for quite some time and it's working like a charm. However, there is one thing that's puzzling me:
Before I bought the K3 ii I already had a K5. In the K5 I could leave the battery inside when I didn't use the camera, pick it up a couple of weeks later and go out shooting. The K3 however seems to drain the battery also when turned off to the point I can't even switch on the camera anymore. Is that normal, e.g. is the GPS still active although the camera is switched off or something like that? Or is it just a faulty camera and I waited way to long to repair it because I'm way out of the guarantee by now?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

10-01-2017, 02:08 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have that problem with my K-3II. Have you tried a different battery? It's possible that the battery itself is faulty and unable to hold a charge properly...
10-01-2017, 02:20 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matjes Quote
Hello everyone,

I have my K3 ii now for quite some time and it's working like a charm. However, there is one thing that's puzzling me:
Before I bought the K3 ii I already had a K5. In the K5 I could leave the battery inside when I didn't use the camera, pick it up a couple of weeks later and go out shooting. The K3 however seems to drain the battery also when turned off to the point I can't even switch on the camera anymore. Is that normal, e.g. is the GPS still active although the camera is switched off or something like that? Or is it just a faulty camera and I waited way to long to repair it because I'm way out of the guarantee by now?

Thanks for your responses in advance.
Is that normal, e.g. is the GPS still active although the camera is switched off or something like that?
Only if you've accidentally enabled track logging, or if you're running the original firmware, which was buggy and should be upgraded.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-01-2017, 02:25 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Only if you've accidentally enabled track logging, or if you're running the original firmware, which was buggy and should be upgraded.
I have despite this the same problem. Battery live is much shorter than with my K5IIs.

10-01-2017, 02:28 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxne4ever Quote
I have despite this the same problem. Battery live is much shorter than with my K5IIs.
Yeah that's very weird, definitely shouldn't be the case.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-01-2017, 02:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have not had this problem in 2 years of ownership. As Adam says, and you should ensure GPS is turned off when storing.
10-01-2017, 03:25 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the fast responses.

I have two batteries and there doesn't seem to be a big difference. I'm running firmware 1.10 and GPS logging is off (guess that's what was meant with tracking?).
Guess I will run a test switching the GPS completely off when I store the camera. I think I haven't really tried that consciously.

Any other option that should be considered?
Or any guess what might be wrong with the camera if it's not a software issue?

10-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have not noticed any issues with mine,
I keep GPS on all the time, although I never really turn on logging.
firmware 1.1 here
10-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Or any guess what might be wrong with the camera if it's not a software issue?
Are you using OEM batteries or third-party ones?

Adam

10-02-2017, 12:28 AM   #10

Original Poster
As far as I can tell they are both OEM batteries. One came with the camera and the other one looks exactly the same, with Pentax written on the label.
10-17-2017, 12:04 AM   #11

Same issue with mine - with two original Pentax batteries.
10-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #12

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Just recently did some Astro over a few nights w/ the K3ii on batteries & it chewed through 'em in about an hour of continous use. The K5ii doesn't eat 'em up that fast. Had the K5ii on the 110v power supply since I had 110 available. Will be getting another power supply to run the K3ii when in the Observ...good to know that it's a hog & need to be prepared when using in the field w/bat's. Bat's were Pentax & third party..didn't really pay that close attention, yet they both lasted about the same length (perhaps the Pentax's a bit longer.)
10-19-2017, 03:50 AM   #13

Original Poster
Good to hear that I'm not alon

Although, I am currently testing leaving the battery in with GPS turned off.
A couple of days ago I switched on the camera and again it didn't turn on (no response at all). I removed the battery and pluged it back in right away. The camera turned on and I went out taking a couple of shots without any problem. No idea what happend there.

I will keep an eye on it and let you know about my long time observations