Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2017, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When my K-1 becomes too much for me (I am well past 60 and have arthritis in my hands), I'll shift back to my K-3 and quite happily use it for the rest of my days.

While I REALLY enjoy FF and my photography teacher said I seemed much more connected with that format from the day I switched, it is big and heavy and the K-3 is a really fabulous camera. I may well take it on my trip to New Zealand in a couple of weeks rather than the K-1.

11-03-2017, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm lucky to have both a K-1 and K-3 and use both. Eg yesterday I was out with both bodies and I took most shots with K-3. The K-1 has it's advantages, but the K-3 and its lenses do make an exceptionally good combination. I can't see the new version tempting me, unless it gets to the K-1's DR and noise capabilities, which it won't because of the sensor physics. So I'll grow old with it. But as I'm in my 50's so I hope to outlive it ...
11-03-2017, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used the K-5 for five and a half years. It performed perfectly, and the only reason for upgrading to the K-3 was of a terrific deal on a demo version of the K-3 (Prestige Edition) with the battery grip. I intend to keep that for at least five years or more. It performs great and does everything I want.

I must say that I have read a lot of good about the K-1 and would really like to have one, but as I shoot just as much film (if not more) than digital, the urge to buy a K-1 is not so great. The price of the K-1 has been remarkably stable since launch ...
11-03-2017, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #19
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
I recently bought a used K3 with grip off Craigslist with only 755 clicks on it...
Hah, that's practically brand new. This thing is built to last.

the thought of growing old with this K3...
I have no plans to replace my K-3 (my K-1 is a supplement, not a replacement), but at the speed that technology is advancing I'd not dare swearing I'll never do so. After all, I never planned to replace the K-5, either, and now it has found its way to my father's camera bag

11-03-2017, 02:02 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
When my K-1 becomes too much for me (I am well past 60 and have arthritis in my hands), I'll shift back to my K-3 and quite happily use it for the rest of my days... the K-3 is a really fabulous camera. I may well take it on my trip to New Zealand in a couple of weeks rather than the K-1.
Take me with you to NZ and I'll carry your K1 so you can use both! ;-)
11-03-2017, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I skipped the K-3 as I already had the K-5. I hope the K-1 will last a while though. My next camera should be mirrorless or a hybrid VF DSLR. But I am willing to wait ten years if the K-1 lasts that long to give Ricoh some time.
11-03-2017, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
After all, I never planned to replace the K-5, either, and now it has found its way to my father's camera bag
Hand me down upgrades for pops... now that is a good son or daughter I'd like to have...

11-03-2017, 02:32 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hand me down upgrades for pops... now that is a good son or daughter I'd like to have...
I have received plenty of hand-me-downs over the years (S1a, Spotmatic, ME Super, lenses, flashes...) - and many father&son hours developing film and images in the darkroom. Now I'm the more active photographer and it's time to reciprocate
11-03-2017, 02:39 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

As long as my K-5II and my K-3II works and as long as I can get lenses to use on them, both cams will stay with me. We are Jedi Pentaxians. A light saber will always be a light saber. May the force be with you.
11-03-2017, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I was going to grow old with my K-5, then the K-1 came. But somewhat in the spirit of the OP, I have no serious intention of buying another APS-C camera.

(If the K-5 dies, I still have the *istDS to make my work camera. If that dies, a KP or K-70 successor may be in the cards; I have already decided that the K-1 is not going anywhere near the laboratory.)
11-03-2017, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

In 2015 I finally updated my camera to a used K 5 II to prepare for a " once in a life time " vacation. It served me very well

In August of 2016, I got a new K 3 for another " big " vacation

so now I have the K 5 II as a back up or when I want access to two lenses without changing out, I have both with me

now I am looking at whether I should find a used K 3 or K 3 II and " retire " the K 5 II. ( there is Xmas and my birthday approaching, don't you know )

to be honest, there isn't much more I should do regarding more lenses. [ could do is always a possibility if I find a good deal ]

I have replaced 100 % of the lenses I had in 2015

I have looked at the K 1 and I am not sure I want one, I certainly am not all that thrilled by the Full Frame aspect since I have a number of DA and DA L lenses which might be limited on the F F camera.

However it is more advanced but heavier by almost 1/2 a pound and I hand hold heavy zooms already

Pentax K-1 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 11-03-17 at 05:30 ----------

I have received plenty of hand-me-downs over the years . . . Now I'm the more active photographer and it's time to reciprocate
my son currently show no interest in photography

he graduated college in 2016, started his career and got married in July - so I guess it is ok that he is concentrating on other things

for now

and there are other ways of passing on equipment that I have outgrown.

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-03-2017 at 04:29 AM.
11-03-2017, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I fear I will wear mine out and not be able to afford a replacement. Best to find a way to make this hobby pay for itself.

Steve
This is hobby? Sacrilege! I thought this was life!
11-03-2017, 04:19 AM - 3 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have received plenty of hand-me-downs over the years (S1a, Spotmatic, ME Super, lenses, flashes...) - and many father&son hours developing film and images in the darkroom. Now I'm the more active photographer and it's time today reciprocate
That is beautiful...

My father died almost 50 years ago when I was only 6. But, I only recently found out that he was also an avid photographer before I was born, with a homemade darkroom and everything...

His Kodak 35 Rangefinder, that he handed down to his brother when he upgraded to an SLR, now sits in a display case in my office next to the K1000 my mom gave me as a high school graduation gift and my first camera.

Photography doesn't only freeze time... it redeems it.

Last edited by heinamj; 11-03-2017 at 04:30 AM.
11-03-2017, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #29
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't see a need to upgrade. But only this week I realized that Pentax digital is only about 20 years old. Who knows what kind of quantum leap will change what we do and how we do it. I bought my MZ-5n when I reasoned that it would be quite a while before digital overtook film. So who knows what might turn up and whether I could afford it.
11-03-2017, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #30

k3 Life

I've had mine for about 3 years now. It has about 10k shutter clicks on it. I have a K5 I've had for about 5 years now. It has a bit more on it.

I don't see anything I really want to replace either with. My photography hasn't reached the point where either is really lacking. I bought the K3 to complement my K5 and between the two and a fairly good lens set I'm good for the next few years.

I don't think there is enough changes on the new cameras or the right price to make me consider moving. About the only camera I consider worth the switch, a Sony A7RIII would cost over $8K to replicate the lens set and camera. And I wouldn't see anywhere near $8K worth of value in that. But it certainly would address the shortcomings of what I have. On the other hand the shortcomings are not any more than an occasional annoyance. For example I don't shoot sports or fast moving subjects so Pentax AF tracking is only a minor annoyance. I don't shoot video so any shortcoming there is no issue. And between the K3 and my Tamron 17-50 I have more that enough resolution and performance for what I'm doing.

So the bottom line is I'll wait a few more camera generations before I go get another camera and lens set. But if I do the next would likely be mirror less full frame.

But also Pentax has me spoiled. Any camera I pick up is measured against how nice I find the ergonomics and haptics of the K5 and K3. The KP doesn't do it for me although I do like the heft and feel of the K1. So whatever my choice it likely won't be Canon or Nikon as I just don't like the way those cameras feel in my hand.