Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2021, 01:41 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am old and still have my K3 but it's kind a of a back-up/second-choice between my K-1 and Oly M4/3. I'm not planning to upgrade to the K-3 II (or K-1 II, for that matter)--what I've got has more functionality than I can handle as it is.

01-23-2021, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I love my K-3 for birds and days when the light is sub par (in terms of DR) but on days I'm looking for good landscapes, K-1 all the way. I can't really explain it, it's just the way it is.
At 74, I'm ready for one more Pentax and the K-3III will be my last DSLR. I've had my K-3 for seven years now and it has performed admirably and I don't plan to sell it nor my still working over severn year old K-50. I might buy a couple more lens but except for the camera I've got all I want and I certainly don't "need" anymore. I've never had a desire for a K-1/K-1II and the KP just never rang my bell as a replacement for my K-3. After the K-3III, I might try to pick up a DA35 f/2.8 macro but that will be it for me.

I'm looking forward to the K-3III and to quote you : "Every system is a set of compromises. APS-c is my favourite set of compromises."

Last edited by Larrymc; 01-23-2021 at 02:23 PM.
01-23-2021, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Perfectly happy with my now 14,000+ shutter count K-3 picked up in 2014. Try to balance body purchases against lens and key accessory acquisitions, keeping my processing software up-to-date, etc., so there is limited wriggle room even within my humble photo budget.But, yes, if Ricoh came up with a more-than-incremental-upgrade APS-C flagship, I would certainly be tempted to buy it. Would expect it to incorporate recent technologies like pixel shift (pretty much standard by now) and, even more importantly, focus stacking (as debuted in the KP). Better high-ISO without losing grip on low-ISO image quality, an upgraded AF module, and white balance improvements should be a given. And, please, no compromises on ergonomics. A flagship model must be simply the best throw-anything-at-me photographic tool it can possibly be in its line, and not a hipster object.Just hope that they won't make it so expensive as to put it out of my reach. As would be the case for any new body that would retail for more than, say, 1,200 or 1,300 euros. The K-7 and K-3 both stayed well below that personal crunch point, but those days may well be over ...At any rate, I'm rarely among the first adopters of new models, both for budget and refusal-to-be-a-beta tester reasons.

Since the March of 2017, when I posted to this thread, we have learned quite a bit about the upcoming K-3 III, and I must say Ricoh Imaging has convinced me that the new flagship should be compelling enough in what it will bring to my photography. I kinda dig why its designers are so proud of it, and you can sense that it goes beyond mere marketing blah. It would also seem that besides the nice touches they have so leisurely extolled in their product stories, they might have actually managed to pull off a marked improvement of their tracking AF. With a lens like the affordable 50-300 PLM, that beast might finally be a decent family action camera. Even at slightly less than D500-level performance, it would make a real difference. And I have come to accept that such an overall proposition must have its price tag. Therefore, a couple of months ago, I started putting aside a bit of money every week for the new camera, which I definitely want to get, be it this year or (more likely) next year, or even later.

Meanwhile, my trusty K-3 will serve me just as well as it has for the past 6+ years. It's been a hell of a camera, that's for sure. And with DxO PL4 on my computer, its output still looks decidedly gorgeous for a camera purchased back in 2014.

---------- Post added 01-23-21 at 11:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
After the K-3III, I might try to pick up a DA35 f/2.8 macro but that will be it for me.

Great idea, Larry. I've owned the smc version of that lens since 2012, but took a while really getting the hang of it. Over the last one or two years, this little gem has become one of the most essential tools in my kit, hands down. What a capable macro standard this is, absolutely love it.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 01-23-2021 at 03:46 PM.
01-24-2021, 02:26 AM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My son has the 35/f2.8 Limited Macro on his K-5; he loves it too.

01-24-2021, 08:18 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
Aside from the sudden rapid shutter glitch that has not happened in over a year this K-3 keeps me busy
and active getting out into the open air.
Are you using the latest firmware?
01-26-2021, 04:08 AM   #156
Pentaxian

I'm still enjoying my K-3 but now also have a Fujifilm system which has used the majority of funds of late and is more useful for much of what I do at present, especially photos of the kids. The K-3 III is the first APS-C DSLR that has grabbed my interest for quite some years and it sounds really nice but very likely to be too expensive. Plus the Ministry Of Finance I don't think would allow me an upgrade unless something went wrong with the K-3, though she did ask if I wanted a new camera when we were in Japan three and a half years ago, at which time my K-3 was only about three years old. I think she thought they were drastically cheaper there, but that's not the case.
01-27-2021, 06:52 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A new conundrum...

I'm the originator of this thread and I still have, and love, my K3. But, I also finally just got a K70 and I'm VERY impressed with its low light capabilities!

These two bodies complement each other and make a great 1-2 combination, except, its hard for me to determine which one is primary and which one is backup.

01-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
I'm the originator of this thread and I still have, and love, my K3. But, I also finally just got a K70 and I'm VERY impressed with its low light capabilities!

These two bodies complement each other and make a great 1-2 combination, except, its hard for me to determine which one is primary and which one is backup.
Decisions, decisions, always decisions ...
03-09-2021, 04:23 PM   #159

QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
I recently bought a used K3 with grip off Craigslist with only 755 clicks on it... Needless to say, coming from midrange quality, I love it!

My budget won't support a transition to full frame and I find myself satisfied with the thought of growing old with this K3...

... anyone else planning to stick with yours?
Great find!! I just recently added a grip to mine. I will not part with my K3
03-09-2021, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #160
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank5 Quote
Great find!! I just recently added a grip to mine. I will not part with my K3
I keep the grip on my K3 all the time... Makes it fit my hand like a glove and a beautiful balance for large and heavy lenses. Enjoy it!
03-10-2021, 08:54 AM   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I love my K-3 for birds and days when the light is sub par (in terms of DR) but on days I'm looking for good landscapes, K-1 all the way. I can't really explain it, it's just the way it is.
I may finally be joining the direction you went Norm. I just purchased a used K-1 - other than my 18-135 at the wide-end and Sigma 10-20, I suspect the rest of my lenses will work just fine on the K-1. But I have no inclination to sell my K-3. For one, the pop-up flash is just too valuable either for a bit of fill or more often as a P-TTL controller for simple off-camera flash without a need for carting along remotes for the flash.
03-11-2021, 04:11 PM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As of now I'll probably give the K-3 to my father when I buy the K-3 III. He can give me back my old K-5 and I'll use it as a third or fourth body.
03-11-2021, 04:47 PM - 2 Likes   #163
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
As of now I'll probably give the K-3 to my father when I buy the K-3 III. He can give me back my old K-5 and I'll use it as a third or fourth body.
I love this... My Dad had a darkroom in the house when I was born but he died when I was only 6 years old in 1969 ... enjoy every chance you get to share photography with your Dad. I would so love to spend a day shooting photos with my Dad and showing him my K3 and what it could do... Can you imagine how that would blow his mind!?
03-15-2021, 06:00 AM - 3 Likes   #164

I have bought a used K3 a few weeks ago.
It is only my 3rd pentax camera in 33 years, following a Super A that served me 20 years and a K110 that served me 13 years. Both are still in very good shape.
I do change a body when I feel that I REALLY need some more functions or better performance: I think it will be a long time before I will reach the limits of the K3.
03-15-2021, 06:05 AM   #165

QuoteOriginally posted by Peka Quote
I have bought a used K3 a few weeks ago.
It is only my 3rd pentax camera in 33 years, following a Super A that served me 20 years and a K110 that served me 13 years. Both are still in very good shape.
I do change a body when I feel that I REALLY need some more functions or better performance: I think it will be a long time before I will reach the limits of the K3.
Wow, 20 yrs with a Super A. I bought one recently and was using it yesterday with the motor A. I love it.