Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2021, 01:36 AM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yoda boy Quote
it still is capable of taking very nice photos.
Additionally, the inclusion of a built in flash is a very convenient feature

that is not available in newer versions.
The only reason I would never buy K3 II or K3iii

06-23-2021, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Originally posted by Yoda boy Quote
it still is capable of taking very nice photos.
Additionally, the inclusion of a built in flash is a very convenient feature

that is not available in newer versions.

Read more at: Anyone planning to grow old with their K3? - Page 13 - PentaxForums.com
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
The only reason I would never buy K3 II or K3iii
Absolutely. I would even accept if Pentax would release a very compact flash meant primarily for use as a P-TTL wireless master or a bit of fill. While using IR to wirelessly control other flashes was in my opinion, not Pentax's best decision, I DO really like my Pentax 540 flash - it just works fairly intuitively. Set it up as an off-camera key light and control it from the K-3's popup as either a fill light or just a TTL controller.

I like the size of the Metz 26 AF-2, but that flash is either an on-camera P-TTL or a wireless P-TTL slave ... really, really, really want an on-camera wireless P-TTL master. In my K-1 kit I have to carry a heavier bag and give up space that could be better used to carry two large flashes just so I have an on-camera wireless P-TTL master.
06-27-2021, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #183
Pentaxian

Back in around 1982, '81, something like that, I bought an old 1951 Leica rangefinder, 35 mm camera body with a Leitz 50mm collapsible lens. I was thinking of getting a Leica 28 or 35mm wide angle and a 75 or 90mm telephoto. with it, but didn't.

Still takes great pix and never had to do anything to it, it just works and works well.

I probably could of .....just..... used my old Leica rangefinder and 50 lens...right through till I got my digital camera in 2007.
08-18-2021, 01:54 AM   #184
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Yesterday my K-3 and DA 35mm fell around a metre while I was getting in the lift of my building. Fell straight down and smacked into the steel doorway, not just the floor but the frame of the lift door where there's no give at all. I was sure it would have suffered something but as far as I can tell there's not a new scratch on it.
You just caused me to flash back to the time I dropped my K50 with an old 55mm f1.8 onto a concrete floor... landed lens side down on the filter ring with all the force shoving the lens back toward the camera. But, everything worked just fine, never a problem! Only had to unbend the filter ring a bit to coax a filter onto it again.

Gotta love Pentanx!

09-16-2021, 06:09 AM   #185
Pentaxian

I have the K-3 mk III now and find it very satisfying.
Now I wonder what to do with my K-3 and K-5...I've decided I'll never sell my old K-100D!

My plan is to sell the old K-5 mainly because of compatibility with newer lenses.
09-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought a much used K3 as an upgrade from my old K10D last year and love it. Once I saw the pictures I landscape pictures I could get from it with shooting raw and post processing, I figured I had bought my forever camera. I had read about the astrotracer feature in the newer ones, but when I bought the K3, a K3 II was still a family expensive body comparatively, and I didn't think it was something I'd ever use. That all changed once I pointed the K3 up at the night sky and saw how much can be photographed when using a high ISO and stacking multiple images. I spent many a night this past spring out with the K3 trying to get a photo of the milky way that was worthy of printing and framing, and even bought a Rokinon 14 f2.8 for astrophotography. I don't remember exactly when, but sometime last spring I decided that I should try to trade my mostly unused old 645 and it's lenses for a K1 body. It's a pretty small market around here of people looking to spend over $1000 on an old film camera, but I finally sold it to a wedding photographer that is also a bit of a Pentax collector, and wanted something cool and different for hobby use. I bought a near new K1 on eBay, and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival, but the K3 won't be going anywhere. I'll probably keep it and a do all zoom for hiking trips where I don't want to be changing lenses or packing a bunch of gear, plus as others have said, it makes the telephoto lenses look way longer.
Kristian
12-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #187
Veteran Member

I still use my K-3 after 60K+ shots but I have the dreaded runaway shutter problem. The camera stops it quickly but because it reboots the camera it ruins any timelapse interval shot that I shoot. I have a K-1 now so it isn't a big deal, but it happens almost regularly now so I wonder if the camera shutter assembly has been damaged. I don't regret buying it, it has taken way more abuse than any camera I've owned.

12-15-2021, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #188
Pentaxian

i seriously reviewed my camera use in the middle of November propmpted by the sales. I realised the walkaround camera (Ricoh IIIx) i was thinking about can essentially be duplicated in the K3 and the DA40LTD. While it is a bit bulkier than the Ricoh it is still a smallish package. Over the last few years i stopped using my 3 DA limited lenses in favor of the DA zooms.

So in early December I went on a week's holiday and took only the limiteds. The savings in weight and baggage space were huge so a medium size messenger bag was all that was needed for everyday carry.. I really liked the image quality so i will stick with the K3 for a while longer.

K3 & DA70

For fun I also took the MX and M40 which really is closer in size to the GRIIIx and used B&W film. This allowed me to skip the analog emultion modes :-) I look forward to those results too.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 12-15-2021 at 10:00 PM.
12-16-2021, 03:53 AM   #189
Pentaxian

I am sure my K3 will be my last Pentax DSLR (and no, I am not thinking of jumping ship !). Had it over a year now, use it weekly if not more, and I am still learning what it can do, and what we can do together. Easy to handle, good quality, so far no issues except when I have done something which does not produce optimum results !

Definitely growing old(er) with it - as slowly as I can.
12-18-2021, 01:34 AM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems I’m growing older anyway, K3 or no K3!
12-18-2021, 04:33 AM   #191
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have had my K50 a total of 7 seven years and the K-70 for four. I have no idea when I will upgrade and when I do I will probably keep both bodies as back ups.
12-20-2021, 05:21 AM   #192
Pentaxian

In a few weeks I'll have had my K-3 for seven years and it's still going strong. The K-3 III is just too expensive to replace it (more than double what I paid for the K-3).
12-20-2021, 06:29 AM   #193
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
I recently bought a used K3 with grip off Craigslist with only 755 clicks on it... Needless to say, coming from midrange quality, I love it!

My budget won't support a transition to full frame and I find myself satisfied with the thought of growing old with this K3...

... anyone else planning to stick with yours?
I have mine since 2016, it's like a brand new. I think it will work as long as its brains will allow