Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2017, 08:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3 and Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM Lens Type problem

This issue has just lately started to be a problem for me because I'm changing my Raw Processor and its only a problem with this one lens not any of my other lens. I use the Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM as my walk around lens because of its wide focal range and its quiet operation. What the problem is my K-3 with firmware 1.30 reports the lens type as Unknown (8 33) in the Maker Notes, Lens Type, Value section of the EXIF file. The processing software that I have started to use applies its lens correction module based on the Maker Notes, Lens Type, value data so with the proper data not being there it won't automatically apply the correct lens correction and it can't be manually applied other than doing a manual preset which I really don't want to do.

I suspect that for some reason my K-3 is not reporting the lens correctly although it reports my other Sigma correctly. If any of you K-3 shooters use the Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM with you K-3 do you mind checking the EXIF file Maker Notes to see if your K-3 is reporting the correct data to the Lens Type, Value section. I use ExifToolGUI to read the EXIF file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just want to find out if my problem is unique to my camera and what your K-3 is reporting with this particular lens. There is a solution for me and its to use ExifTool to write to the maker Notes the proper data when I find out what the proper syntax is.

Thanks

Larry

11-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's down to Sigma. not the K3. None of my three Sigmas lenses on any of my pentax bodies is identified correctly in Exif
11-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
It's down to Sigma. not the K3. None of my three Sigmas lenses on any of my pentax bodies is identified correctly in Exif

My K-3 reports my other Sigma Correctly which is s 70-300 and its reported as "Sigma Lens (3 255) in the maker notes section of the EXIF file which is correct. The 18-200 is reported as Unknown (8 33), 8 33 is the correct code but it seems to me that the camera has to play a roll in the EXIF writing because the lens is reporting the correct Lens data. The camera is not recognizing the code properly. I suspect it might be a camera firmware problem.

Larry
11-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
My K-3 reports my other Sigma Correctly which is s 70-300 and its reported as "Sigma Lens (3 255) in the maker notes section of the EXIF file which is correct. The 18-200 is reported as Unknown (8 33), 8 33 is the correct code but it seems to me that the camera has to play a roll in the EXIF writing because the lens is reporting the correct Lens data. The camera is not recognizing the code properly. I suspect it might be a camera firmware problem.

Larry
My understanding us that the exif is just numeric data read by the camera and saved to the file unaltered. Interpretation of that data comes from the exif viewer or program used to read it later. I would look at your new converter as the culprit. 3rd party lenses often duplicate existing codes which makes identification difficult. This happens to Nikon and canon uses as well.

If your old raw converter works to me that suggests the problem isn't in the file data but how it is read.

11-04-2017, 09:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My understanding us that the exif is just numeric data read by the camera and saved to the file unaltered. Interpretation of that data comes from the exif viewer or program used to read it later. I would look at your new converter as the culprit. 3rd party lenses often duplicate existing codes which makes identification difficult. This happens to Nikon and canon uses as well.

If your old raw converter works to me that suggests the problem isn't in the file data but how it is read.

I discovered my problem with viewing the EXIF file, it was an older version of ExifTool that was accessed by ExifToolGUI so that problem is solved but I've got to find a solution to hack good old DXO PhotoLab into using a slightly different module for my go to lens. What I've found is that the DXO Pentax K-3 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM Module can be "tricked" into loading. It seems that DXO labs hasn't gotten off their butt to up grade their module to reflect the newer Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO HSM lens even though its been marketed for 3 yrs now. I'm not a good command line programmer at all so Phil Harvey of ExifTool is working with me to get the correct LensID into the EXIF file in the correct area.

The old raw converter used the adobe Camera Raw files and the converter allowed you to select the needed lens profile from a list.

Larry