Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2017, 03:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pre-loved K-3ii for $500

I have been eyeing to get the KP but my wallet still says no until I saw a local selling (K-3ii with 9K clicks) this for only $500? Comes with the magnification eyepiece as well. I am still using my old white K-30 and I still think I won't benefit from this camera since it is bigger, heavier and does not have the versatility of a movable screen which the KP has. Are my reasonings right to pass this one up?

11-12-2017, 04:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tough choice. Both are excellent. Perhaps wait for black friday specials?
11-12-2017, 04:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

At $500 in the Philippines I'd go for the K-3. That is a real bargain given that brand new ones are going for $1200+ in the Philippines. I had the K-50 and haven't touched it since I got the K-3. The movable screen is not, in my view, a necessity.
11-12-2017, 05:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
At $500 in the Philippines I'd go for the K-3. That is a real bargain given that brand new ones are going for $1200+ in the Philippines. I had the K-50 and haven't touched it since I got the K-3. The movable screen is not, in my view, a necessity.
I had, the K-x and K-r before. I also had the K-5ii's and sold it immediately due to size and weight. (I still have my unused DL109 battery in my dry box. ) I think I have enough reason to want that tilting screen.

Yes, the K-3ii is still expensive but the KP is even more prohibitively expensive at around $1400!

The K-S2, on the other hand, is about $500 new with the WR lens, but I want the silent shutter when I had the K-5ii's and worry-free from the aperture block failure like my K-30 suffered but was fully restored at Ricoh Cebu plant

---------- Post added 11-12-2017 at 08:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Tough choice. Both are excellent. Perhaps wait for Black Friday specials?
Perhaps Black Friday.... 2018 would be more realistic for me Since the K-5ii's, procrastination became my best friend

Last edited by wed7; 11-12-2017 at 05:53 AM.
11-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree wth Theov39 about the fixed screen - it's never been an issue for me either. It can be seen clearly in LV from quite sharp angles when holding upwards at almost arms' length or ar ground level.

Procrastination's a waste of time.
11-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I cannot give you a direct comparison

the forum can however

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+KP&c2...&c3=Pentax+K-3

I have the K 3 and the K 5 II and their battery grips

I am trying to convince myself to remain with that, altho a nicely priced K 3 II with battery grip could get me in real trouble

[ spouse is not happy with me even thinking about an upgrade ]
11-12-2017, 07:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Procrastination's a waste of time.
With camera bodies, I am able to defer my purchases, and I am trying to trim down my lenses too but that one is counterproductive, how's your HD 20-40?

---------- Post added 11-12-2017 at 11:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

[ spouse is not happy with me even thinking about an upgrade ]
Hey, were in the same boat, I think as long as my K-30 is kicking, I'd be hard-pressed to buy another camera.

11-12-2017, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been so impressed with the 20-40. It was good on my K-5 but on the K-3II it is just superb. It's pretty much stopped me thinking about anything else in that range, being sharper than my 35/f2.4 plastic fantastic, for example. Also, beautiful handling, quiet AF, flare-resistant. I used the combo today in pixel-shift mode to photograph some of my wife's paintings to be used on custom Christmas cards - incredible rendering and detail. I wouldn't part with the 20-40, which for me is another reason for staying with APS-c. If you need anything slightly wider, take two side-by-side portrait shots and stitch.
11-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too went from k50 to k3. It wasn't instantly obvious how much detail gain I had made, but over time it was clear that the move was well worth it. The ergonomics alone are worth it.
11-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As long as the camera is in good condition, you could always buy it and then resell it for more to use toward your future KP.
11-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How important is low light performance? If you do or think you would like to do a lot of low light/high ISO work, then I'd look at the KP perhaps more.

And then I'd ask how important is FPS? Do you chase birds or shoot some sports? Then maybe the K3II, but then again, you can push a higher ISO and shoot a faster shutter speed in the same light on on the KP - I live in a wooded area, and often struggle to have a fast enough shutter for the available light and a long lens while after the little winged creatures.

I have the K3II and like it very much, but when I see low light/high ISO pictures from the KP, it does seem to have a real advantage.

And finally, the KP can adjust focus automatically during video recording with a compatible lens. The K3II requires you hitting the focus button/doing it manually. If video has some appeal, I think the KP pulls ahead without question.
11-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
As long as the camera is in good condition, you could always buy it and then resell it for more to use toward your future KP.
In the Philippines, it is impossible to resell Pentax items. The pricing would be too low in order to make it attractive to Pentax users. If I buy this, it will only act as a stop gap, making my K-30 useless, but then I will still long for a KP. The Philippines is FujiCaNikoNy fanboys heavy.

---------- Post added 11-13-2017 at 07:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
How important is low light performance? If you do or think you would like to do a lot of low light/high ISO work, then I'd look at the KP perhaps more.

And then I'd ask how important is FPS? Do you chase birds or shoot some sports? Then maybe the K3II, but then again, you can push a higher ISO and shoot a faster shutter speed in the same light on on the KP - I live in a wooded area, and often struggle to have a fast enough shutter for the available light and a long lens while after the little winged creatures.

I have the K3II and like it very much, but when I see low light/high ISO pictures from the KP, it does seem to have a real advantage.

And finally, the KP can adjust focus automatically during video recording with a compatible lens. The K3II requires you hitting the focus button/doing it manually. If video has some appeal, I think the KP pulls ahead without question.
Spot on. It is only the price (offer) and it's astrotracer plus the included magnification eyepiece that interest me, otherwise, I will still wait and go with KP. :P

Last edited by wed7; 11-13-2017 at 09:55 AM.
11-12-2017, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, tilt screen is a nice feature, but at that price. 500USD? I would go for K3II in a heartbeat.
Kp seems to be a good low light performmer, but I shoot low light with K-3 very often, I never have a problem deal with it.
Unless your saving is really close to get a KP in near future, the K3II at 500USD is again, very attractive. it is a better build flagship body.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 11-12-2017 at 05:08 PM.
11-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
[snip]

Spot on. It's is only the price and it's astrotracer plus the included magnification eyepiece that interest me, otherwise, it still all wait and go with KP. :P
And I was remiss in not mentioning the astrotracer - I think that is one of the neatest features Pentax has as kinda a "freebie" if you will - got GPS, got a moveable sensor, hey, let's track stars! It's another reason I won't be trading my K3II in anytime soon. I'm hoping for a really sweet flagship that has the best of all their current offering plus some. Meanwhile, the K3II is a great camera. Perhaps this leads to snagging the used one for $500.
11-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went from k30 to k3ii, the difference in quality of photo was amazing. The main thing I miss is the pop up flash.

Tuggie76