Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #1

Fuzzy Always Fuzzy

Hey everyone, I don't know what to google for this so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. My photos all have this kinda fuzziness to them and I'm not sure what I'm doing to cause this to happen. Is it my lens is it my body? Lighting? I don't even know where to begin.
Body: Pentax K-3
Lens: Sigma 17-50 f2.8
It's been a little processed but the fuzziness I speak of is still there.
I'm basically looking at improving sharpness and I don't know if its something simple.
Thanks!

Photo settings
1/200th
f2.8
iso 1600
17mm

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-06-2017, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don`t have K3 or that lens but. You need more light to get the ISO down and the aperture smaller.
12-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think noise is the search term you're looking for. Reducing the ISO to 100 or 200, or applying noise reduction, should solve the problem.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ISO 1600 is your cause. Reduce ISO to the minimum possible to get the shutter speed you need. ISO 100 - 200 is best. With the K-3 ISO 400 should also be fine. Above that you will start to see noise.

12-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As suggested by fellow members, I would try to reduce ISO to around 400. With SR on, you should be able to lower the shutter to 1/125 or even 1/100 or less.
12-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ISO 1600 is a dead giveaway, Sysdmg. To overcome the noise, details are getting destroyed in the JPG.

This should be a flash situation, to get the ISO down to 100 and the aperture up to f8 or f11. There's nothing in the background.

And is this a crop from 17mm ? You're throwing away pixels if it is ... try to frame it right in camera so you don't have to do that. The 50mm was the end of your zoom to use.
12-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Noise might be a factor, but shooting wide open at f/2.8 is probably more so. A noisy image can look plenty sharp. A look at the hair and eyelashes show poor definition typical of a wide open zoom.

I'm going to be a contrarian and say keep the ISO where it is, but lower the shutter speed and use a higher aperture number first.
Good points, DC, but I wouldn't be lowering the shutter speed of a picture of a human subject.

12-07-2017, 06:14 PM - 2 Likes   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input!
After extensive testing today I have determined that its the Sigma lens. It's sharp as hell at f4
Some side info: I was shooting reptiles in our hands so I couldn't use OCF as I normally would so that might explain the probable question of "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SHOOTING AT 1600?!?!" I was using continuous video lights that weren't quite up to the task.
I am really happy now that I've figured this out.
The K-1 is on the way too so that should help with my low light performance and ISO handling in theory and will allow me to use my much superior 70-200 lens in closer quarters than I currently can.

Thanks again everyone!