Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #16

Thanks for your reply and for the video !

3. Yes, That's the way it works !
4. I know I could use the AF button of course, but first I don't like to use it that way, and I have another setting for it..

It should work. My question is : is it a shutter ('s contact ?) issue ? Can I do something myself to fix it ?

Thanks again !

01-22-2018, 06:54 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never been fond of back button AF. But I also haven't had this issue. I think I'd switch in your case. Yes; this seems like a problem with the switch.
01-22-2018, 07:31 AM   #18

I've never be found of the AF button too ! Unfortunatly..
You mean you too think it could be a shutter issue ? And that you would switch to use that af button now ? (sorry for bad English)

Anyway, thanks again !
01-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by néonaloj Quote
You mean you too think it could be a shutter issue ? And that you would switch to use that af button now ? (sorry for bad English)

Anyway, thanks again !
No I'm saying the switch/button you press may be bad (not reliable) and you may have to use the back button method to avoid accidental refocus unless you want to replace it.

01-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyway, thanks again !
I was concerned with going to Back Button Focus but I tried it in 2016 on my K-3 and have come to enjoy it, I'm not going back. The problem with the shutter button and half pressing to focus is that its not a positive stop button like the back button is. By half pressing the shutter button and moving the camera opens the possibility of slightly changing your press on the shutter button and losing focus and having the camera refocusing, this can't happen with the back button if you press the button and release it unless you keep pressing the back button and are in either AFC or possibly AFA (I never use AFA).

Larry
01-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
No I'm saying the switch/button you press may be bad (not reliable) and you may have to use the back button method to avoid accidental refocus unless you want to replace it.
That's what I understood, unfortunatly..
Thanks anyway!
I'll try to be used to the AF button now I suppose...
01-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's what I understood, unfortunatly..
Thanks anyway!
I'll try to be used to the AF button now I suppose...
When you first try BBF your first thought will be "this is not for me" but if you use it for a day or more you will see how much easier it is using it. Don't give up it will become second nature and feel very comfortable.

If you continue with focusing problems then you may have other issues which will require servicing but this along with other suggestions will help narrow down the possible problem you are having.

Larry

01-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
When you first try BBF your first thought will be "this is not for me" but if you use it for a day or more you will see how much easier it is using it. Don't give up it will become second nature and feel very comfortable.

If you continue with focusing problems then you may have other issues which will require servicing but this along with other suggestions will help narrow down the possible problem you are having.

Larry
I set one camera body up that way and used it for weeks - months really. And I never got behind it. It is hard to teach me this new trick. I've been shooting using the other method since my first PZ-1.
01-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #24

Thank you Larry for your encouragement, I will try to get used to it .. I am well obliged now, but I hope that it will give the same results for me as for you!

I hope I will have less problem to be used to the BBF than @UncleVannya... :/

Last edited by néonaloj; 01-22-2018 at 12:55 PM.
01-23-2018, 06:44 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I set one camera body up that way and used it for weeks - months really. And I never got behind it. It is hard to teach me this new trick. I've been shooting using the other method since my first PZ-1.
Well, UV, you just need to free your mind to be open for different ideas.......

Larry

---------- Post added 01-23-18 at 07:48 AM ----------

Thank you Larry for your encouragement, I will try to get used to it .. I am well obliged now, but I hope that it will give the same results for me as for you!

I hope I will have less problem to be used to the BBF than @UncleVannya... :/
I hope this fixes your AF problems. You never did say whether you had tried using Live View to check the correctness of your auto focus and the other things to eliminate other possible causes of your AF problem.

Larry
01-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote

I hope this fixes your AF problems. You never did say whether you had tried using Live View to check the correctness of your auto focus and the other things to eliminate other possible causes of your AF problem.

Larry
There is not a sensor problem as Contrast focus (in liveview) works perfectly! I'm still not really sure about the (in-)accuracy of the focus point, if it is a camera issue, a lens issue (or both), or a photographer issue...

But my "feeling" is that there "could" be something else that photographer only.. have to do more tests to know, but as I said, Contrast Focus is working very well.

About the half-pressed shutter button memory issue, 'I'm sure of what I say. It's not only the possibility that I moved a bit to release the shutter button, I do hold it well, but camera is re-focussing 50% of the time.

I'm beginning to test using the BBF, shall let you know how it works for me in some days....

Thanks for your help!!
01-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #27

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion regarding the rear AF button. Regarding my original post, I tried all troubleshooting steps to no avail. I'm sick of not being able to rely on the camera so sent it in for a service. I'll update once I hear from the service centre.
01-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #28
KDD
Veteran Member

All reset your camera because your camera sleepy.