Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #1

Firmware update - need advice

I know how to go to the Pentax Firmware site and performed all the correct steps for updating. The update folder appears on the SD card, but when I turn on the camera(K-3), while holding the menu button, I just the typical opening screen. (SD card is in the No. 1 spot). I don't get the firmware option. Any advice? Currently have 1.10 version and want update to 1.30. thanks

02-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
update folder? You should have only the .bin file on the SD card in the root directory.

If you downloaded the .zip folder you need to extract that on the computer and move the .bin file only. Extraction can be by right click to menu on windows.
02-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
I know how to go to the Pentax Firmware site and performed all the correct steps for updating. The update folder appears on the SD card, but when I turn on the camera(K-3), while holding the menu button, I just the typical opening screen. (SD card is in the No. 1 spot). I don't get the firmware option. Any advice? Currently have 1.10 version and want update to 1.30. thanks
Chances are you're covered by one of the troubleshooting steps, in particular those related to the bin file:

QuoteQuote:
  • Ensure you downloaded the correct firmware file for your camera (a K-3 II update will not work in a Pentax K-3, for example)
  • Ensure that you extracted the .BIN file out of the ZIP (the .BIN file is the only thing that the camera wants)
  • Check that the .BIN file is in the top level (root directory) of the SD card, outside of the DCIM folder
  • Ensure that the .BIN file has not been renamed
  • Check that your battery is fully charged
  • If your camera has two SD slots, the card with the update must be placed in SD1
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-15-2018, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Adam & others, I had to open & copy the file. It worked!!

03-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I am not too sure which version of the firmware I have. I do know that I have not updated it since I bought it. What do I get out of it. I am always wary of updates.
03-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
What do I get out of it. I am always wary of updates.
Whatever has been added since the firmware version you have installed. In some cases quite a lot of improvements, in other cases "stability improvements". Why are so many people wary of updates? I don't remember EVER seeing anyone report a failed Pentax firmware update.
03-26-2018, 05:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Whatever has been added since the firmware version you have installed. In some cases quite a lot of improvements, in other cases "stability improvements". Why are so many people wary of updates? I don't remember EVER seeing anyone report a failed Pentax firmware update.
Just wary in general of them. I have version 1.11. How out of date am I?

03-26-2018, 07:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like version 1.3 is current for the K-3: Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING If you have a different camera all of the firmware updates are on this page: Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
Just wary in general of them.
Years ago I would have agreed, not just firmware but updates in general tended to be problematic. But companies have learned and I no longer even hesitate on firmware updates. On the computer side updates used to be dangerous and often of limited obvious benefit. These days with cybercrime so prevalent not keeping everything absolutely current is where the danger lies.
I would not hesitate at all on Pentax firmware updates, they have been rock solid as long as I remember and have always provided some benefit even if it is not obvious. "Stability improvements" might not mean much but they would not have gone to the trouble if they had not found and fixed an issue no matter how rare it might be in the real world.
03-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Firmware updates are nothing to worry about when it is for a specific and proprietary piece of hardware running proprietary firmware/OS/software because everything in the environment is controlled by the same entity that creates every piece involved. Updates like this become a bit more of a risk in the x86 computer realm where there are potentially many hardware and software pieces interacting together made by and updated different entities. But for a Pentax DSLR this is simply not the case. All that can go wrong is user-related such as performing the update with a depleted battery, or a flaky SD card. It's possible the .bin file could be corrupted between extraction/copy/update, but the odds of that are slim-to-none in the real-world.
As was pointed out, I too have never even heard of a failed Pentax firmware update.
03-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
All that can go wrong is user-related such as performing the update with a depleted battery, or a flaky SD card.
Yep. And (at least on the newer cameras) the camera checks and won't even let you start the update unless it thinks the battery is fully charged.
03-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #11

Original Poster
Sometimes I get leary about updates: I've had instances where updates disallowed some third party lens from interacting as before and caused some grief.