Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Self Timer Lamp Blinks with Remote... Why?

Is there a way to turn this off on the K3ii?

I understand self timer mode having the lamp, but if I'm using the remote in bulb mode with astrotracer for instance, the flashing red light is just down right obnoxious...

Self timer and remote are two different shooting modes.
Why have the lamp flash when using the remote?

Maybe I missed something in the manual?
Pg50 only states the red light will blink when in remote shooting modes, as if it's a feature?

I can't put tape over it since that's the sensor

I'm lost on this one.

02-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Check your manual or menus. The K-1 does have a control setting for this (Wrench#2, "Indicator Lamps")

I think the rationale for the blinking light is to remind the user that the camera is in remote mode (which disables SR under the default settings).
02-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Check your manual or menus. The K-1 does have a control setting for this (Wrench#2, "Indicator Lamps")

I think the rationale for the blinking light is to remind the user that the camera is in remote mode (which disables SR under the default settings).
Bummer... there is nothing in the manual about it.

The only indicator lamp settings for the K-3ii are for GPS.

My three user modes are:
TAV SPEC - specific for shooting birds in flight
ASTRO - Bulb mode with astrotracer and remote mode
MACRO - Strict manual with remote mode

It would be really nice to turn that dang red flashing light off! haha

I know I'm in that user mode so I would just switch out to exit remote mode.

Oh well.
If the K-1 has access to the lamp in settings, hopefully the K-3ii successor will have this as well.

If I use a cable release shutter I don't even need to be in remote mode so there's no issue there.

But if I want to have wireless shutter, the red light will just have to be dealt with, unfortunately.

02-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Black tape, doesn't fix the problem, but it's easier to ignore.

02-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I appreciate the flashing red light. Lets me know if an exposure is happening since it turns off as soon as the shutter opens.
02-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I appreciate the flashing red light. Lets me know if an exposure is happening since it turns off as soon as the shutter opens.
I can understand that. But an option to turn it off would be nice as well.

I've had this camera for quite some time, I think it's funny I'm just discovering this!
Never had a wireless remote until this week...
02-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #7

It might blink to indicate that it is receiving input just as the lights on a lot of my AV equipment blinks when I use the associated remote.

02-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I can't put tape over it since that's the sensor

I'm lost on this one.
How about using a RF remote? I have two pairs of these, one for C non (2.5mm TRS cord) and one for N kon (hot shoe compatibility) They work great, specially when it is cold outside and I have my hands in the pockets of my coveralls. They also have a great range and are not effected by ambient light when doing non astro.

Yongnuo RF-603N II Wireless Flash Trigger Kit RF-603II N3 B&H
02-19-2018, 09:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My bad, with my suggestion for tape I didn't read the original question well enough.

I would theoretically be possible to tape a bit of IR gel (or stacked lighting gel) over the receiver - other than that suggestion I'm gonna back out and let people who know this stuff answer.
02-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Is there a way to turn this off on the K3ii?
I think you didn't miss anything in the manual. I might be wrong. but as far as I know, it is no way to disable it. Now I am using K3 and I remember my old K5 does that too. Both front and rear lamps are blinked. I don't know why they make it blink but I find it is useful. It tell me I am on remote control mode, therefore, SR is off. It reminds me to not forget to turn it off when doing handheld.

I covered the camera with a jacket and my remote still work. T้hin black tape might work as well.

-edit-
I don’t have a camera with me but I am a kind of remember that the light is off when I control my K3 via Flucard’s wifi.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 02-19-2018 at 10:29 PM.
02-20-2018, 06:31 AM   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

A workaround can be to use a cable remote. It's a couple of bucks on the Bay.

I have both but prefer the cable because it doesn't run on batteries
04-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
The camera confirms the shutter release because success via IR remote is variable. Why?
  • The user has no good idea if the remote's battery has adequate power.
  • Other IR sources clutter the signal, sort of like trying to hear a conversation across a room during a cocktail party. The sun in particular is a HUGE source of IR white noise. The greater the IR white noise between the remote and the camera's receiver, the closer you have to be to the camera to punch a signal through it. Electronic flashes also put out a fairly strong IR pulse - really? Most current camera makers use it to wirelessly control auxiliary flash units.

The K-3 (ii) shutter is quiet in comparison to other focal plane shutter cameras and especially in noisy scenarios you may not otherwise know whether or not the shutter was released. Personally, I'd like to know whether or not the shutter tripped without having to check via the camera's playback function.