Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2018, 04:03 AM   #271
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think that's what it boils down to (see what I did there? "cook" and "boil"?).
I never pre boil.

Marinate.

Rub.

Then slow smoke over indirect heat.

Perfect.

03-14-2018, 06:11 AM   #272
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya;4229324[B:
]I was really surprised reading up[/B] on the history of the PZ-1 again recently that the focus distance information is communicated by FA lenses and it was licensed by Nikon for the D series lenses back in the day. My understanding is that Pentax didn't use that info for focusing but for flash in the PZ-1 and Nikon used it for flash and focusing. It's wild to think that Nikon licensed from Pentax this feature at one time.
Where?

Thank you
03-14-2018, 07:47 AM   #273
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Where?

Thank you
I will have to dig around. I just read it yesterday - it was an old article.

---------- Post added 03-14-18 at 11:02 AM ----------

Where?

Thank you
MTF program line | Photo.net Photography Forums
03-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Time for a non-controversial (just kidding) post...

My view on the K3(x) or whatever the next "uptown" APS-c DSLR (aka "Birder" box) is not really due to resource constraints at Pentax. Their planning cycles are remarkably predictable (IMHO)... They are waiting for the firming up of a 30+mp sensor (Not sure if it will be SONY), so they can "fast follow" the Next Gen CaNikon offering, but repeat the play of lower cost, better glass, more features. Within the announcement of a viable 30mp APS-c (my estimate 32mp APS-c) sensor with the right pitch and crosstalk approach, 3-6 months out, CaNikon a month after, add 3-4 months for Pentax, We'll get teased. I'm wagering for November to Feb teases.

---------- Post added 03-14-18 at 05:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I will have to dig around. I just read it yesterday - it was an old article.

---------- Post added 03-14-18 at 11:02 AM ----------

MTF program line | Photo.net Photography Forums

On licensed formulas and Technologies:

AF, Lens Data, Coatings, and I believe (senior moment here) one for barrel design/formula for some gen2 Nikon AF glass (late 90s)... AsahiMan has a much better recall than me... Nice job Vanya...

03-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #275
Pentaxian

Where?

Thank you
I can confirm this.
I had once an SFX and F lenses did report distance indeed and this was used only for flash purposes.

Surprising heh?

While we're at it, lenses reporting ltd best usage were introduced before cameras used it and same with geometric corrections.
03-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #276
Pentaxian

I must admit that Sony, Panasonic, & Olympus are tempting me with their recent cameras & lenses. They're making it hard for me to resist the urge of unloading my Pentax gear & jumping ship, but I'm dead set on waiting for that K-3II replacement & I won't be buying anything until it comes out. I have a feeling that it's going to take a decent leap in AF performance. Not like a Nikon D500 or Canon 7D Mark II type of leap in AF performance, but something that will have much better AF tracking & single point shooting than anything Pentax currently offers & I'll dare say that the AF performance will probably be better than what the K-1II will offer. Something tells me that the Pentax DA 55-300mm PLM lens & whatever other fast focusing lenses that will eventually come out are going to fly on that body.

I'm really looking forward to it. Even if it turns out to be a dud, which I highly doubt, I'll win either way. A lot of other manufacturers already have some pretty great cameras & lenses out right now & I can only imagine they will bring in 2019 or even 2020, so I'll get to pick whatever I think will work out better for me. It's like a win-win for me.

As for now, I'm doing fine with my K-50 bodies & 5 lenses. Hopefully those bodies can make it until then. I already had to replace the aperture motor in my black K-50.

So who else is dead set on waiting for that K-3II replacement?

Or has the "grass started looking more greener" for you elsewhere? Hmmm....
03-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #277

Yeah, similar situation here. Sitting on a K3 since 4 years which is slowly getting senile.
Before same happens to me I would like to buy the replacement model.

Therefore I have now set myself a deadline by end 2018, but keeping in mind:
“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”(Doug Adams)

03-21-2018, 09:43 AM - 3 Likes   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the new K3 has decent video...I will be buying a few of them. While I love my Sony cameras for video (FS7 and A6500), I've found that "field" cameras with weathersealing are the secret sauce. APS-C sensors give me as much DOF as I need for cinema, and Pentax has the glass.

After a few years with the K1, I've come to realize that while I love the camera, not having good enough - 1080p/60/50mbit - video is enough for me to leave it behind most of the time.

The size of the K1 has become a problem since I fly with a ton of gear and weight of carry on has become an issue.
I spent thousands with Air India on a recent intra India shooting schedule, and weight was the factor because of all the batteries I had to take with me in the carry on.

Today, battery redundancy - as in having a single battery type for many cameras is the only way. Having a camera that can also share the same lenses is also key.

So if the K3 does better video I will be able to solve a bunch of issues that I am facing now.

I REALLY want to re-integrate Pentax back into my professional workflow, because all the photography I do *is* with the K1.
I just need the camera I take with me to do more.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 03-21-2018 at 09:50 AM.
03-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #279
Pentaxian

Same here. Sitting on K5iis for 4 years now. Want to see what the replacement looks like before investing in tele lens (150-450 or even 560).
I want fast focus lock without hunting
03-21-2018, 10:22 AM - 2 Likes   #280
Veteran Member

I am using k-70 for outdoor, travel and architecture and Sony a7s for video... would like to leave Sony behind me. I don't need top class video, just good, solid one with proper codec, bitrate... Sony is a solid performer but I hate small battery (same capacity as k-70 but I need 5 on Sony and 2 on Pentax) and ergonomics. After almost 2 years of using both of the cameras I find build qulity of entry level k-70 >> a7s (~ 4 x tag price). So now I am saving money... hope Ricoh wants it
03-21-2018, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like my K-3. I like it as much as I liked my PZ-1, which is saying a lot. My F2a is the only other camera I have owned that generated this feeling. These all felt just right in hand. I have liked many other cameras - I have enjoyed taking shots with others. I have even taken others on trips and been happy - but the K-3 it is special. I hope they can preserve that in whatever new thing comes out of this.
03-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #282
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I must admit that Sony, Panasonic, & Olympus are tempting me with their recent cameras & lenses. They're making it hard for me to resist the urge of unloading my Pentax gear & jumping ship, but I'm dead set on waiting for that K-3II replacement & I won't be buying anything until it comes out. I have a feeling that it's going to take a decent leap in AF performance. Not like a Nikon D500 or Canon 7D Mark II type of leap in AF performance, but something that will have much better AF tracking & single point shooting than anything Pentax currently offers & I'll dare say that the AF performance will probably be better than what the K-1II will offer. Something tells me that the Pentax DA 55-300mm PLM lens & whatever other fast focusing lenses that will eventually come out are going to fly on that body.

I'm really looking forward to it. Even if it turns out to be a dud, which I highly doubt, I'll win either way. A lot of other manufacturers already have some pretty great cameras & lenses out right now & I can only imagine they will bring in 2019 or even 2020, so I'll get to pick whatever I think will work out better for me. It's like a win-win for me.

As for now, I'm doing fine with my K-50 bodies & 5 lenses. Hopefully those bodies can make it until then. I already had to replace the aperture motor in my black K-50.

So who else is dead set on waiting for that K-3II replacement?

Or has the "grass started looking more greener" for you elsewhere? Hmmm....
I wish I could wait, but I've already been waiting so long... my K-7 is developing a problem with the rear wheel which makes it time for a replacement. But Pentax isn't currently making a replacement that's compelling. My most desperate need is stabilization and/or ISO, and the KP delivers on both, but in a body that I consider a downgrade from the K-7. Plus I was hoping to get GPS for geotagging in my next body now that Pentax offers it. The K-3 II, while better than the K-7 in every way, wasn't quite good enough to tempt me to pay north of $800. The K-1 is both too expensive and too big, otherwise it would be perfect - many of my lenses are FF compatible.

Unfortunately the alternatives are also expensive for anything that's comparable, I've checked out a couple. I'm so tired of looking at compromises! If only Pentax had taken the improvements they put into the KP and made a K-3 III instead, my search would be over. Everybody wails over the AF performance, but I'm sure the KP is enough of a bump over my K-7 that I'd be overjoyed.
03-21-2018, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
KP is enough of a bump over my K-7 that I'd be overjoyed.
I think you would be shocked at how much of a bump the K-3II is over the K-7.

My K-3II is currently covering my needs for APS-C, most of my work is with the K-1 now with the K-3II for wildlife with the 150-450. I don't need video and I don't need better AF so personally I am content to wait and see. I suspect the K-3III whenever it arrives will be worth the wait. I feel for those that need to make a move and Pentax has nothing to offer.
03-22-2018, 03:10 AM - 2 Likes   #284
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
I wish I could wait, but I've already been waiting so long... my K-7 is developing a problem with the rear wheel which makes it time for a replacement. But Pentax isn't currently making a replacement that's compelling. My most desperate need is stabilization and/or ISO, and the KP delivers on both, but in a body that I consider a downgrade from the K-7. Plus I was hoping to get GPS for geotagging in my next body now that Pentax offers it. The K-3 II, while better than the K-7 in every way, wasn't quite good enough to tempt me to pay north of $800. The K-1 is both too expensive and too big, otherwise it would be perfect - many of my lenses are FF compatible.

Unfortunately the alternatives are also expensive for anything that's comparable, I've checked out a couple. I'm so tired of looking at compromises! If only Pentax had taken the improvements they put into the KP and made a K-3 III instead, my search would be over. Everybody wails over the AF performance, but I'm sure the KP is enough of a bump over my K-7 that I'd be overjoyed.
I'd get a used K3 or K3 II to tide you over till the K3 III comes out. It really is an excellent camera and a significant bump up over the K7 in terms of everything. Not as good as the KP in terms of high iso performance, but otherwise a top end camera in every respect. The K7 had one of the worst sensors Pentax ever used in a camera and while you could coax iso 1600 out of it, it tend to fall apart in terms of noise and dynamic range right around that point. The K3 is a lot better.
03-22-2018, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #285

I have two K-3 and consider buying A6000 because of the very bad video in 3 series. What Ricoh should do is to upgrade the video capabilities, as fellow colleagues Pentaxians mentioned already in this topic. FHD/60p in 48 mbit/s is already enough for a good start in videography. Having sealed body and lenses is a killer deal in high capability videography. I would love to have that package in Pentax.

Therefore, by upgrading AF and video, Ricoh could turn the tide and gain market share. Marketing would just follow.