Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2018, 05:52 AM - 2 Likes   #526
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I finally have to say this. I am 67 and what I find myself needing as I look ahead is a camera that can pick up the slack a bit for me. And that is mainly in the area of autofocus. My eyes are not getting any sharper with age and I'm not a quick as I used to be. I need a camera that can keep up with Canikon in that area.

At the moment I have a K5, K5-IIs, K3, K1 and K1-II. My K3 is a nice complement to my K1's but I need the next Pentax APSc camera to step up it's game. If it doesn't, I will not get it Then I will need to make some sort of decision. This is not an ultimatum but simply the facts as they relate to me. And yes, I am willing to pay for it. After all, I am spending my kids inheritance so why not?

My first DSLR was the K5 and the models have just kept getting better ever since. I am really loving my K1 and my K1-II. (I'll let other argue about whether the accelerator chip as begin an improvement or not. I like what I see) They are great cameras and they can do well over 90% of what I need a camera to do. That will continue.

I would also like to continue to photograph subjects in motion too. I will be needing a new camera to do this. This is simply an acknowledgement of my physical capabilities as I look forward. So far I have been able to work with the tools I have but in the future I see myself as needing a tool that will work with me a bit. Not trying to be morbid just realistic. I even had a will made up.

Cheers!!!!

05-12-2018, 06:45 AM   #527
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I suppose you can look at things from that perspective but here are the facts.Earlier this year i read an interview with some Fuji officials.
One question was about developing individual camera models,they said that usually they listen to their user base for around a year then it takes another year to get the camera body into the market place.The interviewer then asked about lenses,the answer was "that takes longer"!

As Fuji develop new bodies their advancements get passed to their existing ones where possible.New stuff comes along with each model so why not share it.

Yes, that is their approach. They try to pass as much as possible to their existing lineup via upgrade. But that is only possible because of the camera hardware being able to process it in first place. That is my point here

Still total possible upgrades for existing Pentax cameras such as extended auto focus micro adjustment range was not implemented and we have limited -10/+10. I would realy like to see a more dense and expanded scale here.

Only one "passed over" upgrade from users demand I can remember was a "night vision mode" for some recent cameras.
05-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #528

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I don't think high end APS-C makes a lot of sense when the prices approach or even exceed base level full frame.
actually, people were willing to give away about 1.199Euro for a non-flagship dslr(KP) that actually was a prosumer-body(K-70) beefed up with a magnesium alloy body and 5axis-stab.
..what upgraded (or successor-)products(which got introduced after their flagships) in m43 world offered to their buyers(-the 5a-stabil), without beefing up the price above their flagship products... -

Anyway the brand has to get away from that "the camera for the poor guys"-image...

... in the end. When you look at lenses and other accessory - ...that point is pure imagination and just not true, because Pentaxians hand out about the same money as Nikonians and Canos for other 3rd party maker gear like studio flashes(until very recently we had to pay even more for competitive gear - see quite expensive Priolites ---) for instance...
Sometimes even more, since some lens options from 3rd party makers are rare to get on the used market or new. and so the prices are (a bit!) above normal for K-mount versions of the Sigmas for instance.

I did calculate it through... I would have to spend about the same to get about the same from another (DSLR/APS-C/FF)camera-maker...
IMHO there is no such thing as saving in photography. :*)

And since RICOH-Imaging publicly and officially stated:

QuoteOriginally posted by RICOH_Imaging:
...the company is focusing its resources on products that are unique and bring high value-add to its customers, such as PENTAX and GR cameras, which are appreciated by professional photographers and photo hobbyists. Ricoh is also investing in and will continue to expand its business...

I hardly doubt they will turn around and go back to deliver (dirt-cheap non-WR gear)to amateur-up_to-semi-pro... for their Super35 and 35 DSLRs...

The PENTAX K-1 was a clear statement in that direction and so actually(despite all else) was the build quality of the PENTAX KP-body.
Alone that they set up this amazing new lens-line, which appearantly(looking at first results) plays !above the level of ZEISS lenses..., tells me, that:

RICOH "means business" when they say "Imagine... Change."

Next thing, that tells me there is no going back from "meaning it" and showing the same professionality in Crop and FF, which they already perform for mid-format...
is :

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums:
Ricoh Japan has announced a new support service for professionals in Japan

you can also read Albert Siegels post:
Is that a new tele lens? - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com
If you need reassurement, that RICOH really means it.

In the best of all likely outcomes... PENTAX could become the lone survivor in DSLR-land, while all other makers may slowly and one after the other, take the exit to MILC-Land in silence... since both, Canon and Nikon will soon step into the MILC game.

(speaking for myself, i can live without an EVF)

IF!, Ricoh-Imaging shows the will to invest in their products... and the courage to count on their strong fanbase and long-loyal users, when deciding what to offer and leave bells&whistles behind.
...like some other user on FB said before... there certainly is no more space for Ricoh to pussyfoot around with co-processors. (though appearantly there was one )
05-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #529
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hitrate Quote
actually, people were willing to give away about 1.199Euro for a non-flagship dslr(KP) that actually was a prosumer-body(K-70) beefed up with a magnesium alloy body and 5axis-stab.
?

The KP is half the price of the K-1, it doesn't cannibalize it.

05-13-2018, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #530
wpt

I still like my k3, flash and all. I also like the k1 and do not plan to upgrare to the ii . Well, my new camera is a Pentax Super Program so i guess that sums me up. I just want Pentax to continue making history.
05-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #531
Pentaxian

The flaws that I see on the KP are the battery life and better AF. But, I like the way it looks. The flaws I see on my k-3II are noise at high ISO, dynamic range and AF. I still like the images of my k-5II compared to my k-3II. AF is still a challenge to Pentax. I hope they can tweak the sensor of the k-3II successor for better results and provide better AF.
05-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #532

?

¿Where does my post say the K-1 would be cannibalized by the KP?

-And why anyway, why for Pete's sake, are people always... blabbering something about the K-1, when the actual proposition is about a worthy K-3II(¡so a CROP SENSOR FLAGSHIP) successor?

I know those usual tactics for argumenting...
And appearently it seems, that the trackage for those "trains of thought" reaches way too far if you ask me...
I don't want to play Freud and honestly " no offense here", but ahm... Somehow when I read arguing like that on Pentax forums, that always sounds like a full grown "Atlas-Syndrome" to me...

...I just can not reconstruct the way you want to argue here, sorry. That's too discombobulated for me.
And please don't bother to explain it.
Because like I mentioned it above, arguing around like that stretches the point IMHO and I won't get into a useless discussion.

"They were whipping and beating the curd, as if they wanted it to become cream."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

05-14-2018, 03:16 PM - 3 Likes   #533
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Pentax never had the high end expensive models in the past. Finding customers for a new model more expensive then 1499 euro could be very difficult in K-mount and aps-c.
I don't think high end APS-C makes a lot of sense when the prices approach or even exceed base level full frame.
Actually, people were willing to give away about 1.199Euro for a non-flagship dslr(KP) that actually was a prosumer-body(K-70) beefed up with a magnesium alloy body and 5axis-stab.
?

-And why anyway, why for Pete's sake, are people always... blabbering something about the K-1, when the actual proposition is about a worthy K-3II(¡so a CROP SENSOR FLAGSHIP) successor?

I know those usual tactics for argumenting...
And appearently it seems, that the trackage for those "trains of thought" reaches way too far if you ask me...
I don't want to play Freud and honestly " no offense here", but ahm... Somehow when I read arguing like that on Pentax forums, that always sounds like a full grown "Atlas-Syndrome" to me...

...I just can not reconstruct the way you want to argue here, sorry. That's too discombobulated for me.
And please don't bother to explain it.
Because like I mentioned it above, arguing around like that stretches the point IMHO and I won't get into a useless discussion.

"They were whipping and beating the curd, as if they wanted it to become cream."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Reading the flow of the discussion, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here hitrate. To me, you're coming across quite argumentative. Would you care to explain your point, in reference to the points made by others (and yourself) I quoted above?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 05-14-2018 at 11:57 PM.
05-17-2018, 05:40 AM   #534

... and which are the next Photo Events coming, where we could hope to see the next APS-C (hopefully K3III)? I think there was such post, but I cannot find it.
05-17-2018, 05:40 AM   #535

... and which are the next Photo Events coming, where we could hope to see the next APS-C (hopefully K3III)? I think there was such post, but I cannot find it.
05-17-2018, 06:11 AM   #536
Pentaxian

I believe, but cannot prove, that Pentax was thinking in terms of one flagship, the K-1, period. Some people here think of 'crop-sensor' as something inferior to 'FF', and Pentax had adopted that thinking - they may have even thought that way when they were forced to go with smaller sensors 'in the beginning'. That is why the K-1, with its crop mode, would be relevant here, and why Pentax would think of extending the K-3 line only after people whined.
05-17-2018, 08:28 AM - 4 Likes   #537
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
... why Pentax would think of extending the K-3 line only after people whined.
Don’t say such a thing. It might make people think they can change the world with their whining.
05-17-2018, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #538
Pentaxian

FTR Ricoh Imaging said since CP+ 2017 that they'll make a new APS-C flagship.
05-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #539
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mocker Quote
From 25-30 september is Photokina in Cologne. To be honest I don't see a new aps-c camera coming and certainly not a K-3ii successor. Most likely there will be the lenses dfa*50mm and da*11-18mm.
05-17-2018, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #540
Pentaxian

You really shouldn't judge it by the introductory price. I am more than willing to double the price of the K-70 to get a magnesium alloy body, "pro grade" aperture control, and really cool body. I purchased my K-30 because I needed something; I will probably retire the K-30 "before it's time", once I raise the necessary funds, because I drool over the KP.