Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Yup, that's how I think it works, which has always seemed a little dangerous to me. Eg previous set up a few lenses, then inadvertently set a new one to Apply All. Previous results all gone. Therefore I make a note of each setting, just in case. Even if it doesn't work that way, why, when more than one lens has already been set, would you not be going down the route of testing each lens? It's a chore and takes a considerable time, but makes me feel more in control of the situation. Also, the individual settings approach still allows each to be set up the same, albeit as Apply One for each, then work on each individually to tweak as required.

Interestingly, previous K3s were around +5 for each lens, while my FFs are both 0. I've heard others say the K1s are less in need of AF adjustments. Wonder if this is true ? Does make it easier ...
Ah no thats not right - if it was then I would have messed up all my lenses many times. See Rice Highs post above posted by UncleVanya. The "Apply 1" setting overrides the "Apply All" setting.

For me I fine tune each lens as I get them and it makes a big difference - at least on my cameras. However then you go and put an older manual focus lens on and want to tweak focus confirm but for these older lenses you only get the option "Apply All" - so you adjust it that way (and hope it suits most of your manual lenses). The first time I did that I had an oh no moment but then found that the AF lenses were still spot on. So having the Apply 1 override the Apply All is a very good thing when you interchangeably use MF and AF lenses.
Although I wish the camera could remember a Apply 1 against the manually entered focal length for a MF lens but I guess we can't have everything.

03-23-2018, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #17
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
AF Fine Adjustment Question!

The K3 manual (the system is identical or similar to other Pentax SLRs), textually says.

1. Apply all "Applies the same adjustment value to all lenses"

2. Apply one "Save an adjustment value for the lens being used. (Up to 20 values)"

We must also consider that:

"Apply to One" allows you to store an AF calibration for a single/specific AF optical (F, FA, D FA, DA).

"Apply to All" allows you to store an AF calibration for a general NON AF optical (screw, K, M, A).

If,

After saving with OK "Apply to all" an AF calibration for a generic NON AF lens (screw, K, M, A), an AF lens (F, FA, D FA, DA) is mounted on the camera,
then the calibration chosen for "Apply to all" will be adopted.

Yvon Bourque in your book says:

Choosing Apply One would correct the current lens attached and would keep the results in memory. Choosing Apply All would apply the corrections to all lenses mounted on the camera.
03-23-2018, 06:36 PM   #18
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
My understanding is that Apply All does not work cumulatively with Apply One and over-rides any previously applied Apply One settings.
Yes, this. If the lenses requiring their own adjustment were to be left untouched, the categories would be Apply Some and Apply One.
03-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I go back and forth between Apply One and Apply All, and I don't loose any of my custom settings. For my manual lenses, I've tested and noted each one's adjustment. When I shoot with them, I switch to the Apply All mode and dial in that lens's adjustment. When I'm back to my AF lenses, I switch it back to Apply One, and all my AF calibrations are still present.

03-23-2018, 08:15 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
When you figure it out - please post - I'm curious myself.

---------- Post added 03-23-18 at 02:17 PM ----------

The other scenario is:

DA lens +10 isn't enough, can I add more using global?
Ok, here is the information I have so far been able to gather. Apply All affects the focus point even though you have an Apply One setting for the lens set in the camera. What I suspect is if you have Apply All active it overrides the Apply One setting but the Apply One Setting is not lost the camera retains the setting as expected, conversely when Apply One is active it overrides Apply All. So the settings aren't cumulative. I did discover that say if you had a zoom lens with different focusing characteristics from tele to wide you may be able to set the tele to Apply One and the wide to Apply All and change your selection from Apply All to Apply One depending on how you were using the zoom.

Larry
03-24-2018, 02:22 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, here is the information I have so far been able to gather. Apply All affects the focus point even though you have an Apply One setting for the lens set in the camera. What I suspect is if you have Apply All active it overrides the Apply One setting but the Apply One Setting is not lost the camera retains the setting as expected, conversely when Apply One is active it overrides Apply All. So the settings aren't cumulative. I did discover that say if you had a zoom lens with different focusing characteristics from tele to wide you may be able to set the tele to Apply One and the wide to Apply All and change your selection from Apply All to Apply One depending on how you were using the zoom.

Larry
That clarifies things, thanks. Guess, for me, I've never seen the need for an Apply All, once you've started down the route of calibrating each lens - there's enough to remember when taking shots without adding any extra complexity of switching the Apply All/One settings dynamically.

The problem with a zoom having different AF settings could presumably be fixed in firmware with an Apply One Range setting. For instance a 16-50 I had was ranged from +3 to +7. So with 16-50 fitted the Apply One Range would prompt with, say, 'Top of Range Setting', 'Middle ...' and 'Bottom'. The AF settings would then be stored with the interim settings calculated linearly. Not perfect, but simple to set and it would be a useful improvement, I feel.
03-24-2018, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
That clarifies things, thanks. Guess, for me, I've never seen the need for an Apply All, once you've started down the route of calibrating each lens
The Apply All setting can be useful if you have an older lens that does not communicate it's signature to the body. You cannot assign a Apply One to this lens so "Apply All" will still enable you to do an adjustment with that lens.

03-24-2018, 05:34 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I calibrated the DFA 100 2.8 at the recommended distance of 8.2 feet per 100mm.

Larry
Sorry Larry my question wasn't clear. When you get the focus inconsistencies what is the distance you are shooting at (if different from above).
03-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The Apply All setting can be useful if you have an older lens that does not communicate it's signature to the body. You cannot assign a Apply One to this lens so "Apply All" will still enable you to do an adjustment with that lens.
I see ...
03-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Sorry Larry my question wasn't clear. When you get the focus inconsistencies what is the distance you are shooting at (if different from above).
UV, Its hit or miss from any distance that sharpness can be readily seen on screen, its just not a consistent lens for me. When it hits the photos are spectacular but when it misses its totally frustrating.

Larry
03-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UV, Its hit or miss from any distance that sharpness can be readily seen on screen, its just not a consistent lens for me. When it hits the photos are spectacular but when it misses its totally frustrating.

Larry
How often does it miss focus ?

When I calibrate lenses, I usually take 5 or so shots and for each setting I'll judge the final setting from the trend in results. I've found this is normal for all the calibrations exercises I've done. Some may be a little worse than others (the FA31 to name one in particular) - can't say I saw anything especially odd with the 100mm macro.

When I've narrowed down the AF adjustment setting I'll then relax the test set-up a little and work a few different shots around the planned setting (eg distance, lighting, subject etc), adjusting if required. I'm happy with this approach as I know there's always going to be a distribution in auto focus systems. Then I'll use it in real life, but at first I'm aware that it might be a little off. I rarely have had to go back and re-calibrate, as in use there are so many other factors that effect focusing that I learn to live with it's inconsistencies and bracket, and double- check.

For macro work, I always manual focus, often with a loupe, and/or move the camera until the subject is in focus then press the shutter - auto focus becomes irrelevant.

Just my approach. A bit empirical, but it works for me ...
03-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Larry
This seems somewhat in conflict with what several people are saying in this thread, and in at least one case they have manual text that backs it up.
03-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
This seems somewhat in conflict with what several people are saying in this thread, and in at least one case they have manual text that backs it up.
What text in what manual? You are free to believe anything to want.

You might want to pick up your camera and test what I posted, My Friend. I think you'll find what I said is true. All you have to do is pick any AF lens that you have set the AF fine adjustment on your K-3 and change Apply One to Apply All, then adjust the fine tune to -10 and check the focus with some sort of focus chart then do the +10 side. You should be able to easily verify what I said. If you don't care to do that no problem

Larry
03-26-2018, 01:46 AM   #29
Pentaxian

AF CALIBRATION DOES NOT AFFECT LIVE VIEW CONTRAST AF.
You can easily do your AF calibration without any effort by simply switch between Live, and OVF, and nail your camera into something tiny in your space, like some screwdrive head in door or anywhere... Contrast AF would deliver sharp photo any time, so you can compare your picture very quick with that one you take with OVF.

I found this very easy

Last edited by panonski; 03-26-2018 at 03:34 AM.
03-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
AF CALIBRATION DOES NOT AFFECT LIVE VIEW CONTRAST AF.
You can easily do your AF calibration without any effort by simply switch between Live, and OVF, and nail your camera into something tiny in your space, like some screwdrive head in door or anywhere... Contrast AF would deliver sharp photo any time, so you can compare your picture very quick with that one you take with OVF.

I found this very easy
Sorry but that doesn't work for some non Pentax AF zooms. The K-3 with the Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro (A001) doesn't auto focus accurately in Live view. I'm not sure about other lens, I've read somewhere that there are other non Pentax brand zooms that have the same behavior. So rather than sending the lens back to Tamron and being with out it, I decided to do an AF fine adjustment with Focus Tune 4 and Lens Align MkII and that gives me an added bonus of being able to chart what all of my lenses are doing.

Larry