Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-27-2018, 03:54 AM   #1

K 3 II question

I am looking at buying the k3 II. How is it different from the k3? At adorama is listed with this title.
Pentax K-3 II Digital SLR Camera Body, 24.35MP, Full HD 1080p Video, GPS, AstroTracer
what is astroTracer? I am assuming it has GPS built in?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

03-27-2018, 04:00 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Lance, here is the In Depth Review of the K-3 II.

Pentax K-3 II Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
03-27-2018, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

In short, what the K-3ii has that the K-3 doesn't:
- built-in GPS (and astrotracer)
- Pixel Shift resolution
- slightly improved autofocus, I believe

The K-3 has a pop-up flash, which the K-3ii hasn't (because the space was needed by the GPS)

From the Pentax home pages: "[The Astrotracer] couples [...] with the camera's SR (Shake Reduction) system for the effortless tracing and photographing of celestial bodies. The unit calculates the movement of stars and other objects using the latitude obtained from GPS data and the camera's alignment data (horizontal and vertical inclinations and direction) obtained from the unit's magnetic and acceleration sensors. It then shifts the camera's image sensor in synchronization with the movement of these objects. This means that all celestial bodies are captured as solid points rather than blurry streaks, even during extended exposures. It also simplifies the astronomical photography setup, since it requires only a tripod and eliminates the need for an additional accessory such as an equatorial telescope."
03-27-2018, 04:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the quick replies. Does anyone know if the camera grip for the k3 will fit the k3 II?

03-27-2018, 04:20 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LanceC Quote
Thank you for the quick replies. Does anyone know if the camera grip for the k3 will fit the k3 II?
Yes, it's the same grip
03-27-2018, 04:27 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
by going up to " Cameras " above, you will find reviews

and you will find a very useful tool allowing a side by side comparison of camera bodies

here is the direct link to the tool

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-3+II&c2=Pentax+K-3

I have both, I got the deal being offered by B & H where I paid $7 over the price of the K 3 II alone and got the designated battery grip added for a total of $836 back in November

it looks like it is still being offered

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1358285-REG/pentax_k_3_ii_dslr_camera.html

if you are looking to buy a new camera from one of the sponsors of the forum, be sure to check out this offer:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/97599-fre...opaz-labs.html

if interested in an " experienced " one, check the forum's market place to see if there are any interesting possibilities

if there is no hurry to buy, since the OP is from the United States, a possible course of action could be to rent a K 3 II and do a hands on trial before deciding to buy

Lensrental.com and Borrowlenses.com are the two companies I know of, I have used Lensrental.com without problems, never tried the other

just get the maximum protection plan when renting to save potential problems

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-27-2018 at 04:42 AM.
03-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have to say I love my K3ii, but miss the pop up flash, mainly for off camera flash work. And I've yet to use astro tracker, and rarely use pixel shift.

03-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LanceC Quote
I am looking at buying the k3 II. . . .
if the OP does buy a K 3 II, there is something else he might want to spend money on

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.com

[ BTW, there will always be something else to spend money on ]