Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #1

K3 II Multiple Exposure Questions

Hi guys

Thank you for responding to my thread, I cant seem to find info on this. I selected the multiple exposure function, set it for 10 pics. But it didnt work? How is it suppose to function?

Can someone please either explain this to me or link how to enable this on the k3ii?

04-08-2018, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you're confusing interval shooting with multiple exposures, perhaps?

In any case, if you're doing interval shooting, you need to set the interval equal to your shutter speed + the gap in between shots. So, if you were shooting with a shutter speed of 30 seconds and wanted 10 shots, you would want to set the interval to something like 31 or 32 seconds.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think you're confusing interval shooting with multiple exposures, perhaps?

In any case, if you're doing interval shooting, you need to set the interval equal to your shutter speed + the gap in between shots. So, if you were shooting with a shutter speed of 30 seconds and wanted 10 shots, you would want to set the interval to something like 31 or 32 seconds.
I dont know whats interval shooting or how to set interval speed, Im talking taking a bunch of shots with shorter shutter speeds and adding them up as one shot as if they were one long(er) exposure shot.

thats called multiple exposure right? what am I missing?
04-08-2018, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Infinite Ascension Quote
I dont know whats interval shooting or how to set interval speed, Im talking taking a bunch of shots with shorter shutter speeds and adding them up as one shot as if they were one long(er) exposure shot.

thats called multiple exposure right? what am I missing?
Yes, but if you want it done automatically, you have to use what Pentax calls the "interval composite" mode. AFAIK, in regular multiple exposure mode, you have to release the shutter yourself for each shot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2018, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Interval Composite is listed on page 53 of the K-3II manual. This seems to be what you are attempting.

A tripod is recommended.
04-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Interval Composite is listed on page 53 of the K-3II manual. This seems to be what you are attempting.

A tripod is recommended.
Yeah I have the physical manual in my hand, I think this might be it. So my next question has to be; Once I set my values, my camera will then do that and make all the images combine into one beauty? I want to make something like this once.

from this website : Pentax K-3 and it’s Multiple Exposure Mode | PhotoSafari

The colours look like silky water paint.
04-09-2018, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah I have the physical manual in my hand, I think this might be it. So my next question has to be; Once I set my values, my camera will then do that and make all the images combine into one beauty? I want to make something like this once.

from this website : Pentax K-3 and it’s Multiple Exposure Mode | PhotoSafari

The colours look like silky water paint.
Yes, after setting the values and hitting the shutter button, interval composite will take a series of photos and merge them into one image.

There are three composite mode choices:
1) average: probably the best choice for flowing colors.
2) additive: useful for accumulating brightness in very dim scenes and for moving lights.
3) bright: strange effects! Even better for moving lights but tends to create disembodied parts of people and objects.

But do try all three because you may find that you like the effects in some cases.

Good luck and have fun!

04-09-2018, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yes, after setting the values and hitting the shutter button, interval composite will take a series of photos and merge them into one image.

2) additive: useful for accumulating brightness in very dim scenes and for moving lights.
3) bright: strange effects! Even better for moving lights but tends to create disembodied parts of people and objects.

But do try all three because you may find that you like the effects in some cases.

Good luck and have fun!
Thank you so much for helping to clear this up, I will try this next time I have the moment. You guys have all been very helpful.
04-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It looks like you found out what you needed to know. Good luck!
04-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

Good luck and have fun!
I did it and set it for 5 images, and it just took 5 images, it didnt merge them at all. What am I doing wrong? Was using a manual lens, could that be it?

Last edited by Infinite Ascension; 04-13-2018 at 06:35 PM.
06-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know this thread is a bit older now BUT...

For Composite shooting, you set the interval (how many shots you want to take and how much time to pause between each shot and the camera will take the shots on it's own).
When you're finished your Interval/Composite mode shots, you then have to merge the photos yourself in Post.

Multi-Exposure mode (not bracketing, and not composite) the only options you have is how do you want to shoot, with a remote? Continuous shooting? Single shot? Etc.
Once you figure out HOW you want to go about shooting the Multi-Exposure, you then you select how many total shots to take.
If you're in single shot mode in the multi-exposure option, you will need to fire the shutter yourself for each one of those shots.
So, if you select a total of 10 shots to be taken in multi-exposure mode, you need to take the 10 shots yourself, one after another. Once the 10 shots are complete, the camera will merge them on it's own.
I was just playing around this mode earlier today but just happened to come across this thread now.
06-25-2018, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I did it and set it for 5 images, and it just took 5 images, it didnt merge them at all. What am I doing wrong? Was using a manual lens, could that be it?
There are a couple of different settings. Bracketing will take 3 to 5 exposures at different exposure gaps and save them to your card. It is your job to combine them after the fact. If you want to take an HDR photo then use HDR setting, but this is primarily a jpeg setting.

Multiple exposure I think requires you to hit the shutter each time for a specified number of shots. Interval mode will let you set a specific time and the camera will take a shot up to a specified number of shots. Each successive shot will be averaged with the shots that came before which allows for the simulation of long exposures. So the first frame will have minimal blurring of water and sky and after 30 or 40 shots there will be quite a bit.

I posted this elsewhere, but this is 50 shots averaged with the K-1 II (I don't own a K3 II) and you can see what it did to the sky. It also has some blurring in the foliage as well, but the actual shutter time was something like 1/60 second.

09-18-2018, 08:26 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I know this thread is a bit older now BUT...

For Composite shooting, you set the interval (how many shots you want to take and how much time to pause between each shot and the camera will take the shots on it's own).
When you're finished your Interval/Composite mode shots, you then have to merge the photos yourself in Post.

Multi-Exposure mode (not bracketing, and not composite) the only options you have is how do you want to shoot, with a remote? Continuous shooting? Single shot? Etc.
Once you figure out HOW you want to go about shooting the Multi-Exposure, you then you select how many total shots to take.
If you're in single shot mode in the multi-exposure option, you will need to fire the shutter yourself for each one of those shots.
So, if you select a total of 10 shots to be taken in multi-exposure mode, you need to take the 10 shots yourself, one after another. Once the 10 shots are complete, the camera will merge them on it's own.
I was just playing around this mode earlier today but just happened to come across this thread now.
I need the camera to merge one image.

I need to merge 20 images to one. So once Ive taken my 20 images in single shot mode, my camera would then merge them right? I will take my tripod out this Friday, hopefully it will work.

thanks for the replies guys, helpful.
09-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need the camera to merge one image.

I need to merge 20 images to one. So once Ive taken my 20 images in single shot mode, my camera would then merge them right? I will take my tripod out this Friday, hopefully it will work.

thanks for the replies guys, helpful.
If you have the settings correct then yes, the camera will merge the images into a final shot. You may still have all the images shot as well though.