Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-3 II Auto ISO

Okay, so maybe this is a "feature" but I find it very annoying. When in Program mode, I can't seem to disable the AUTO ISO setting. If I set the ISO, turn the camera off and on, the AUTO ISO comes back. My K-7 basically remembered the ISO in Program mode so if I set it to 100 it would still be at that value after I turned it off and back on again.

I have been through the manual and K3 ebook with no luck so far. What am I missing? Or is this an unfixable "feature" on the K-3 II ?

Thanks for any and all help, Charlie

04-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is a feature that I believe every Pentax DSLR have had. You need to go to memory settings and enable memory for ISO.

To be able to configure what setting the camera should remember after being switched off is one of the greatest feature on Pentax cameras IMO.
Personally I prefer to disable memory for ISO, WB and EV comp to avoid starting to capture images with settings that may ruin the shots.
04-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I can't seem to disable the AUTO ISO setting. If I set the ISO, turn the camera off and on, the AUTO ISO comes back.
Does not work that way on mine. If I set the ISO it 'sticks' if I turn off the camera.

1) What firmware?
2) What do you have your e-dials programmed for in 'P' mode?
3) Under memory do you have 'sensitivity' checked or unchecked?
04-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Does not work that way on mine. If I set the ISO it 'sticks' if I turn off the camera.

1) What firmware?
2) What do you have your e-dials programmed for in 'P' mode?
3) Under memory do you have 'sensitivity' checked or unchecked?
Number 3 was the problem...I had unchecked it....Thanks!!!

04-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It is a feature that I believe every Pentax DSLR have had. You need to go to memory settings and enable memory for ISO.

To be able to configure what setting the camera should remember after being switched off is one of the greatest feature on Pentax cameras IMO.
Personally I prefer to disable memory for ISO, WB and EV comp to avoid starting to capture images with settings that may ruin the shots.
It's the same situation with me. I have ruined some images because ISO was previously set at 100 for tripod use and then on an indoor handheld shot it was still there and I didn't notice until the photo opportunity was gone. I now leave memory unchecked so that when I turn it off the ISO goes back to automatic. It could, in my opinion, still benefit from one more feature. I wish the range that I set would stay in memory even when it goes back to auto. So for example I prefer either 100-800 or even 100-1600 but if I want it to go to auto I have to accept 100-3200. I suppose if they gave us everything we each wanted in settings we wouldn't be able to find anything because there would be too many options. So it's ISO unchecked for me.
04-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
I wish the range that I set would stay in memory even when it goes back to auto
Might be worth checking the manual again. On the k1 If i select auto ISO the range I previously selected is honoured.
04-18-2018, 04:55 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Arrgh, now I know why I turned off sensitivity memory in the first place....if I switch from one mode to another (i.e. Tv to Av) it remembers the ISO I last used on that setting. So if I was shooting 100iso in Tv and Switch to Av, the ISO might be 3200 or 800 or..... Not the behaviour I was looking for. I guess I'll put up with AUTO in P mode and remember to set the ISO after powering on the camera. *sigh* all I want is to disable AUTO ISO in P mode. Anyway, thank everyone for your input.

Charlie

04-18-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Might be worth checking the manual again. On the k1 If i select auto ISO the range I previously selected is honoured.
You are right. I don't know how I missed that before but when you know it's there it is easy to find. Now it's set to 100-1600 and I'm much happier. I might even go to 100-800. Thanks.
04-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Arrgh, now I know why I turned off sensitivity memory in the first place....if I switch from one mode to another (i.e. Tv to Av) it remembers the ISO I last used on that setting. So if I was shooting 100iso in Tv and Switch to Av, the ISO might be 3200 or 800 or..... Not the behaviour I was looking for. I guess I'll put up with AUTO in P mode and remember to set the ISO after powering on the camera. *sigh* all I want is to disable AUTO ISO in P mode. Anyway, thank everyone for your input.

Charlie
how about creating/assigning a user profile with this configuration?
04-19-2018, 06:02 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
how about creating/assigning a user profile with this configuration?
Great idea! Thanks