Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

JPEG image size question

So, I just popped two, brand new, 64GB SD cards into my new (to me) K-3. My old K-50 would show a JPEG "capacity" of about 8K pictures, but this is only showing about 3500. Is this normal?

Last edited by ThomSirveaux; 04-18-2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: dad brain: JPEG size -> capacity
04-18-2018, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I'm already confused by your question ...... Could you explain exactly where you are seeing "3500" on the camera? Or do you mean the file size of the images on the SD card?

If the file size is smaller then the JPEG quality setting is set lower. This is the star rating thing, next to the image size option. The size is in megapixels and the quality is a "star rating" . This controls the compression, which affects the file size.
04-18-2018, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is the number of photos that the camera can fit on the card? Then yes, that's about right (close enough for government work anyway).

The k-3 is 24mp, and its manual claims 111 three-star jpegs per 2Gb.

The k-50 is 16mp, and its manual claims 214 three-star jpegs per 2Gb.

There may be other difference depending on the actual in-camera settings (star rating and recorded pixels being major factors). Keep in mind these are just predicted amounts, and are typically the worst case scenario as the actual jpeg file sizes depend on the image content. You may find yourself fitting far more on the card than it reports when empty.
04-18-2018, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #4

Is the question about how many JPEG images can be stored on a 64Gb card? If so then yes, the number will be lower on the K3 as it has a higher resolution sensor, so the file size is larger per picture.

04-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
This is the number of photos that the camera can fit on the card? Then yes, that's about right (close enough for government work anyway).

The k-3 is 24mp, and its manual claims 111 three-star jpegs per 2Gb.

The k-50 is 16mp, and its manual claims 214 three-star jpegs per 2Gb.

There may be other difference depending on the actual in-camera settings (star rating and recorded pixels being major factors). Keep in mind these are just predicted amounts, and are typically the worst case scenario as the actual jpeg file sizes depend on the image content. You may find yourself fitting far more on the card than it reports when empty.
lol, I guess I should have just RTFM, right?

Thanks!

---------- Post added 04-18-18 at 02:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I'm already confused by your question ...... Could you explain exactly where you are seeing "3500" on the camera? Or do you mean the file size of the images on the SD card?

If the file size is smaller then the JPEG quality setting is set lower. This is the star rating thing, next to the image size option. The size is in megapixels and the quality is a "star rating" . This controls the compression, which affects the file size.
"Dad brain" is real.

Yes, "3500" is the number of pictures it has room for. This is 3 Stars and the highest megapixel.
04-18-2018, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, keep in mind that the number shown is an approximation (usually an underapproximation). Really dark photos, for example, could be a fraction of the size of daytime shots.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: