Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-14-2018, 01:08 AM   #1

K-3 needed accessories for astro, time-lapses & landscapes

Hello,

So what are the needed accessories for astro, landscapes and time-lapses e.g tripod, filters & lens dust blower etc.

And what would be the best for travel & general use while being light ( Tripod ).

Let me know if there are anything else you need & what prices you can get them at

Thanks

05-14-2018, 01:32 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, I might suggest you read these series of articles

Astrophotography Series Announcement - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
05-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dxpand4 Quote
So what are the needed accessories for astro, landscapes and time-lapses e.g tripod, filters & lens dust blower etc.
May I suggest you use the camera for some tests and decide what is needed for you? Too often people end up buying a lot of things that look cool but are just a waste of money. I just mean, do not run out and buy a lot of stuff before you have some experience.

I just finished a trip shooting some astro. Mostly a flop as the weather did not cooperate.

However, here is what I actually used:
K-1 and K-3II cameras
DFA 15-30 on the K-1 and Pentax-A 20mm f/2.8 on the K-3II. (I would have preferred a wider lens but that is what I have for the crop sensor that is fast)
Manfrotto 055cxpro3 with Acratech GP ball head for the K-1 and a MeFoto roadtrip tripod for the K-3II
No filters
I have an intervalometer but I used the internal timers on both cameras instead. I used the K-1 for milky way and the K-3II for star trails at the same time.

After you have read @ashlyfox links ask again and mention what exactly you are trying to do and perhaps we can better answer your questions.

For landscape you do not need a fast lens so something like the DA 12-24 f/4 is really nice although I shoot a lot of landscapes with the DA*60-250. It just depends on what you mean by landscape and the distances involved.
05-14-2018, 10:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
May I suggest you use the camera for some tests and decide what is needed for you? Too often people end up buying a lot of things that look cool but are just a waste of money. I just mean, do not run out and buy a lot of stuff before you have some experience.

I just finished a trip shooting some astro. Mostly a flop as the weather did not cooperate.

However, here is what I actually used:
K-1 and K-3II cameras
DFA 15-30 on the K-1 and Pentax-A 20mm f/2.8 on the K-3II. (I would have preferred a wider lens but that is what I have for the crop sensor that is fast)
Manfrotto 055cxpro3 with Acratech GP ball head for the K-1 and a MeFoto roadtrip tripod for the K-3II
No filters
I have an intervalometer but I used the internal timers on both cameras instead. I used the K-1 for milky way and the K-3II for star trails at the same time.

After you have read @ashlyfox links ask again and mention what exactly you are trying to do and perhaps we can better answer your questions.

For landscape you do not need a fast lens so something like the DA 12-24 f/4 is really nice although I shoot a lot of landscapes with the DA*60-250. It just depends on what you mean by landscape and the distances involved.
There are different types of landscape photography?

05-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are different types of landscape photography?
There are different styles and different scenes that require different lenses.

I live in the west and many of the vistas I shoot would be nothing but indistinguishable distance if using a 15mm lens. But shot at 60mm or even 200mm you can make a good landscape.

1) For large vistas with no real stand out features some times a longer lens works (DA*60-250)
2) For sunrise or sunset you want a lens with nice sunstars and no flare (DA 15mm Limited)
3) For shots with a focus point close but a vista in the background you might want an UWA (DA 12-24)
4) For general nature shots you might like a more general purpose lens (DA*16-50)

The above was my landscape and general carry kit when I used the K-3. You need to choose what fits your style. I only mentioned landscape in my first post because often when someone asks "what lens for landscape?" All I see is the standard recommendation for UWA like the Sigma 10-20. That is fine but only covers one aspect of landscape photography. If it is the style you like then all is good. But I often shoot landscape with the DA*60-250 because the shot I want can only be seen from a distance.
05-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
There are different styles and different scenes that require different lenses.

I live in the west and many of the vistas I shoot would be nothing but indistinguishable distance if using a 15mm lens. But shot at 60mm or even 200mm you can make a good landscape.

1) For large vistas with no real stand out features some times a longer lens works (DA*60-250)
2) For sunrise or sunset you want a lens with nice sunstars and no flare (DA 15mm Limited)
3) For shots with a focus point close but a vista in the background you might want an UWA (DA 12-24)
4) For general nature shots you might like a more general purpose lens (DA*16-50)

The above was my landscape and general carry kit when I used the K-3. You need to choose what fits your style. I only mentioned landscape in my first post because often when someone asks "what lens for landscape?" All I see is the standard recommendation for UWA like the Sigma 10-20. That is fine but only covers one aspect of landscape photography. If it is the style you like then all is good. But I often shoot landscape with the DA*60-250 because the shot I want can only be seen from a distance.
I would probably be shooting the last 3 you said said
05-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would probably be shooting the last 3 you said said
For landscape on the K-3 with good light buy the DA 16-85.
For landscape on the K-3 in poor light buy the DA*16-50
For astro buy the Samyang 14mm f2.8 or the DFA 15-30 if you do not need filters

But again I repeat myself: Get a lens and take lots and lots of pictures before going out and buying a lot of 'stuff'. When you find a lack in what you own then look for and buy something. But buying things because someone on the internet says you might need it is a waste of money.

05-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
3 Main lenses for Astro, Landscape & General use

So what would be the three main lenses I would need for Landscape, Astro and Video ( Time lapses ) or one for general use ( Daily & Street )

and are these lenses worth getting?

DA 15mm ( Landscape )
Rokinon 24mm F/1.4 ( Astro )
HD - DA 70mm f/2.4 ( Daily )
05-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 15mm is magic and well worth getting. But I would never have it as my ONLY landscape lens, it is too limited in focal range.
The DA 16-85 would be my choice for general use and most landscape work.
The Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 is widely acknowledged as one of the best astro lens going. Especially for the price. However, it is not particularly wide on APS-C, so it is best on FF if you need the width. Still one of the best for astro though.
The DA 70mm is excellent but main use would be for portraits. Not something I would use for daily use. It is too limited in focal range.
05-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #10

Original Poster
The DA 15mm is magic and well worth getting. But I would never have it as my ONLY landscape lens, it is too limited in focal range.
The DA 16-85 would be my choice for general use and most landscape work.
The Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 is widely acknowledged as one of the best astro lens going. Especially for the price. However, it is not particularly wide on APS-C, so it is best on FF if you need the width. Still one of the best for astro though.
The DA 70mm is excellent but main use would be for portraits. Not something I would use for daily use. It is too limited in focal range.
Thanks, So the DA 16-85 would be better as a all round lens instead of the DA 70mm
05-18-2018, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So the DA 16-85 would be better as a all round lens instead of the DA 70mm
Well, the DA 70mm is likely better at 70mm, but other than that I would go with the 16-85. No matter what the 16-85 is a good basic, all purpose lens. IMHO, start with that and then add other lenses for special purposes where the 16-85 is not as good. Like Astro.
07-31-2018, 08:25 AM   #12

What kind of astro? Lunar or deep space? For long exposure, the tripod stability is a lot more important than the tripod weight - so for travelling I would say go for the sturdiest that you are comfortable carrying around. A short steady one would be better than a tall wobbly one.
08-17-2018, 09:46 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
For astrophotography (AP) with lenses on a tripod, the best accessory for a K-3 is the O-GPS1 in order to use ASTROTRACER (built in to the K-3II and K-1/II models). It really does work (although the required fine calibration can be tricky). Here is one recent example, using a 200mm lens. If you have that you won't need an external intervalometer for exposures up to the limit determined by the lens focal length (up to 5 minutes).

For astrophotography through a telescope, an external intervalometer will be required for any exposure over 30 seconds, which will generally be required for deep-sky objects. (Lunar and/or planetary, OTOH, will use very short exposures.) But thIs will be by far the least expensive accessory you will need for that if you count the telescope, its mount, and an auto guiding set-up as "accessories." You will spend a lot more than the camera on all of that (I certainly did) and it will take you a while to get up to speed with it. It's another world of hurt. AP through lenses using ASTROTRACER is child's play in comparison.

Last edited by Lew Dite; 08-18-2018 at 04:56 AM.