Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

In camera v on lens stabilisation

For the last 3 years I've been shooting with the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM on my K3. I've tried using both options for SR (obviously not intentionally at the same time) but can't make up my mind whether one is better than the other. I have to admit that I haven't attempted a side by side comparison test, mainly because my technique is still pretty poor. I can take two consecutive photos of the same subject, the first will be nice and sharp while the next will look slightly out of focus. I had hoped that I would have improved after 3 years

Anyway, anyone here have a preference for camera v lens?

And only another 34,701 posts to go before the raffle!!!

06-05-2018, 01:57 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keithw Quote
For the last 3 years I've been shooting with the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM on my K3. I've tried using both options for SR (obviously not intentionally at the same time) but can't make up my mind whether one is better than the other. I have to admit that I haven't attempted a side by side comparison test, mainly because my technique is still pretty poor. I can take two consecutive photos of the same subject, the first will be nice and sharp while the next will look slightly out of focus. I had hoped that I would have improved after 3 years

Anyway, anyone here have a preference for camera v lens?

And only another 34,701 posts to go before the raffle!!!
There are plenty of threads on this subject if you do a search, though the point is rather moot since the stabilized Sigmas are almost impossible to find if you didn't get one new.

The nice thing about in-lens SR is that it works during video, since mechanical SR does not on bodies since the K-5. Otherwise I'd stick to in-camera SR for the most part, as it supports 5-axis stabilization on newer bodies and performs exceptionally well overall. Plus, you get metadata, VF indicators, and it's automatically disabled in self-timer mode for convenient tripod shooting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2018, 01:59 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

I haven't used a stabilized lens but one thing that leads me to prefer in-camera stabilization is that cameras keep getting better. I have an old K10D that has 2-3 stops of stabilization in its SR system, it's there but not that great. The K20D I had, was quite improved. The K-50 and K-S1 that I have are similar to each other and quite good. The K-1 and K-P with the 5-axis are even better and only the newest lens designs can probably complete with the stabilization provided by these cameras.
So with IBIS, once you buy a new body with improved SR, all your lenses are upgraded.

Now I haven't ever tried the Panasonic combination IBIS/lens IS but it has been said to have been quite improved since its introduction just a few years ago, and it's gotten to the point that it beats everything else out there. But it is restricted to only a few lenses, and Olympus is similar, though I understand at this time Panasonic is just a bit ahead.
06-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've only used the Pentax in-camera stabilization so I can't compare it to in-lens systems. However there are so many advantages to this system and only perhaps one or two disadvantages that if I had to choose, I would stay with in-camera. I have one of my user modes configured to tripod set-up where it uses the 2 second self timer. I really like the fact that I don't have to remember to off the stabilization in this mode. Once I go back to A priority for hand held, stabilization is back. In theory we should be paying significantly less for our lenses since they don't each have to come with their own stabilization systems but that is pretty tough to compare. I think the main drawback is that you don't see the stabilization in the viewfinder as you would with in-lens stabilization. That would be nice but not nice enough to make me want an in-lens system.

06-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

A few years ago, slrgear.com tested in-camera versus in-lens stabilisation, with an Olympus E520. The systematic tests were very interesting in my opinion, and the main conclusion was: there is not much differences between the two.

Personally, I prefer in-camera stabilisation, because most lenses with image stabilisation are heavy. And I like small light-weight lenses, especially when I carry my camera system during bushwalking.

My 5 cents.
06-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have used my Sigma 150-500 DG OS with my Pentax K-3II and Pentax K-5IIS using the in camera SR and it does really well. I had used the OS on the lens, but after awhile I started noticing how well the in camera SR worked, so I use it almost always now. I like the idea that everything I am doing is originating from the camera.
06-06-2018, 02:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In camera stabilisation is one of the reasons I bought into the Pentax system in the first place. I think it's generally the way to go. However, on a long lens, perhaps longer than the OP's 70-200, the lens stabilisation has the advantage that it stabilises the image in the viewfinder as well, making hand-held extreme telephoto shooting much easier.

06-06-2018, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the two things that go for in lens stabilization are that it stabilizes the viewfinder and it seems to work a better with really long lenses.

That said, with in camera, every lens is stabilized, you get an upgrade every time you upgrade your camera, and it is one less thing to break in your lens.
06-06-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have used my Sigma 150-500 DG OS with my Pentax K-3II and Pentax K-5IIS using the in camera SR and it does really well. I had used the OS on the lens, but after awhile I started noticing how well the in camera SR worked, so I use it almost always now. I like the idea that everything I am doing is originating from the camera.
I think that this is a very important comment because people usually say that IBIS does not work well with long lenses but your experience shows that that is not true. Very assuring to know!
06-07-2018, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think that this is a very important comment because people usually say that IBIS does not work well with long lenses but your experience shows that that is not true. Very assuring to know!
If you click on the shortcut below, it will show you a crop of a shot that I took yesterday using the in camera SR while birding. It was overcast, but I was still able to get a pretty good shot. It is lightened up a little bit, but other than that no out of camera change.

Sample from K-5IIS and Sigma 150-500 using Camera SR - Pentax User Photo Gallery