Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
. . . . I'd recommend getting the 100mm macro over the 50mm macro, since you already aspire to own a 50mm prime. The 100mm will give you a tele focal length, and gives a 1:1 macro capability. I have that lens as well, and it is easily one of my very favorites. . . .
if the OP is thinking about a macro lens, I agree that the 100mm f2.8 macro is the way to go

it is a great lens, even when not used as macro

it allows you room between the lens and the target if you are trying macro

and best of all, you have different versions to look at which might help the budget -

" The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades.

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

you can find reviews of all of the following under " Lenses " above

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro [ I have one of these ]

SMC Pentax-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro

SMC Pentax-F 100mm F2.8 Macro

06-27-2018, 02:55 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
how are you getting on with your new purchase?
06-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We need to figure out how to keep OPs from disappearing. I would also like to know how he/she is doing.
06-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #19

Original Poster
beachgardener, Mikesul,

I'm so happy with my new camera! I took it for a spin at the weekend but only took my Pentax-A f/2.8 50mm Macro lens. I got some really nice macro shots of flowers and some insects, I'll post some in this thread when I get home later.

I think I'm going to get into macro photography a lot more now I have a DSLR as the manual focus is a lot more intuitive and nicer to use than on the bridge cameras I've owned before. My Fuji has macro and super-macro modes (focusing at a minimum of 1cm) but it doesn't have a manual focus ring - the older ones did have this but they stopped making them like that... - as manual focusing is done by rotating the e-dial.

I got another bargain on a used 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 lens which I am collecting on my way home from work this evening. The cheapest second-hand one I found online was over £400 but I came across one at CEX (it's an electronics exchange retailer for those outside the UK) for £280 and they provide a 2 year warranty. There was no image of it online so I am a bit apprehensive but they will give me a full refund if I'm not happy with it

Sam

06-27-2018, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
Here's a few macro photos from the weekend - not quite as in focus as I thought but I haven't got used to the focus peaking in live view yet. All taken with my Pentax-A f/2.8 50mm Macro lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
06-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwomersley Quote
Here's a few macro photos from the weekend - not quite as in focus as I thought but I haven't got used to the focus peaking in live view yet. All taken with my Pentax-A f/2.8 50mm Macro lens.
They look very nice to me
Remember that peaking isn't the be all, end all solution... it can be fouled, especially when the picture includes high-contrast areas, since the camera might think they are in focus even though they are not.
Sometimes it works great, sometimes you're better off with magnification.
06-27-2018, 02:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
They look very nice to me
Remember that peaking isn't the be all, end all solution... it can be fouled, especially when the picture includes high-contrast areas, since the camera might think they are in focus even though they are not.
Sometimes it works great, sometimes you're better off with magnification.
I find peaking to be useful in fewer shooting situations than magnification for me.

06-27-2018, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find peaking to be useful in fewer shooting situations than magnification for me.
Ditto. Actually I never used it after the first experiments with the camera.
Red button on the K-01 is DoF preview for me.
06-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwomersley Quote
I'm so happy with my new camera!
Nice one, those images look great, I have a 50 macro too, inspiring me to get out there and do some more
06-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know whether this is difference in user or difference in camera, but with the Q-7 I find the focus peaking to be the most useful focus assist tool.