Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2018, 05:03 AM   #1

Flu Card and tethered shooting on K3

Has anyone used the Flu Card for Tethered shooting on the K3? I want to be able to control the camera and see the image as it is taken on my laptop. Currently I use my old K20D and Silkypix software.
I usually demonstrate Macro, where there is no WIFI connection to the internet. I have read that the Flu card uses a web page. Is this all offline, or does the WiFI connection, not need to connect to the internet, just to the Camera?

Last edited by UsernameRallyjenos; 07-10-2018 at 10:06 AM.
07-09-2018, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UsernameRallyjenos Quote
Has anyone used the Flu Card for Tethered shooting on the K3? I want to be able to control the camera and see the image as it is taken. Currently I use my old K20D and Silkypix software.
I use Safari for iPhone and chrome for Android and Windows for remote control of the camera and to see what I am shooting . I don't use the Flu card for transferring files.
07-09-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried it a long time ago. I found it clunky as an interface compared to something like Panasonic. However it did work.
07-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, UncleVanya's experience seems to be what most of us have experienced. It can be made to work but is awkward.

07-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
I use Safari for iPhone and chrome for Android and Windows for remote control of the camera and to see what I am shooting . I don't use the Flu card for transferring files.
Thank you. I don't have an iphone (from choice). How do you use Chrome with windows? Twice a year I need tethered shooting for demonstrating Macro work, so I am trying to find the most economical way.
07-09-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. I don't have an iphone (from choice). How do you use Chrome with windows? Twice a year I need tethered shooting for demonstrating Macro work, so I am trying to find the most economical way.
Just download it. Google chrome is a very popular browser for Windows.
07-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
windows phone or windows on a PC?

07-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use mine with my macro setup connecting to my iPad. It gives me a nice large screen image of my subject to focus. I typically do my adjustments in the camera and fire my shutter with a remote. I use the FluCard only for aiming and focusing. Keep in mind, it will only give you the camera’s 720 x 540 image - not the iPad’s resolution.
07-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I use mine with my macro setup connecting to my iPad. It gives me a nice large screen image of my subject to focus. I typically do my adjustments in the camera and fire my shutter with a remote. I use the FluCard only for aiming and focusing. Keep in mind, it will only give you the camera’s 720 x 540 image - not the iPad’s resolution.
That I would have used more if I had carried it with me when doing macro. Good tip.
07-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Same way google : pentax/
07-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I took the image by putting my K-3 and Tamron 90 on a monopod and bracing it close to this tiny little toad who had hopped under my picnic table. I used the flu card to frame and trigger the shutter. It worked great, but this picture was taken in 2015 and I haven't used it since. For most images, I can do the same thing with a long lens for a lot less trouble, but this is definitely an image I wouldn't have without the FLucard and my iPad/ I wanted to sue it for close ups of humming birds at my feeder. You actually have to be closer to the camera with for the Flucard to work than you would have to be with a long lens, so totally a bust for what I bought it for. It's a great idea, poorly executed. If the actual distance could be 12 feet instead of 8, it would be a lot more useful, to me at least.

I also thought it would be great for stepping through my images in the field If you set the jpeg setting to the lowest to cut down on the size of file being transferred it might be good for that, but I shoot so often in burst mode, it just takes too long to step through my images. It might be good for someone who really takes time to set up their shots and only takes a few.

Last edited by normhead; 07-09-2018 at 09:31 AM.
07-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We have a written guide:

Pentax FluCard O-FC1 Review - Set-Up Guide | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I used it to sit in my warm truck while I fired off a few timed exposers of the stars on a cold winter night. Some bird shots near food. Child Portraits on a TV screen. I've had no major problems using it and sometimes its very convenient.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 08-07-2018 at 04:34 AM.
07-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #14

Original Poster
Has anyone used the Flu Card for Tethered shooting on the K3? I want to be able to control the camera and see the image as it is taken on my laptop. Currently I use my old K20D and Silkypix software.
I usually demonstrate Macro, where there is no WIFI connection to the internet. I have read that the Flu card uses a web page. Is this all offline, or does the WiFI connection, not need to connect to the internet, just to the Camera?
Thank you for all your comments. Still unsure if it will do the job I want. Difficult to know without purchasing a card and trying, but expensive if it doesn't work. Think I'll sit on it for now.
08-17-2018, 10:18 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
If the card were half its current price I would try it, problems, bugs and all.