Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2018, 04:26 AM   #1

Pentax K-3 and Pentax AF-400FTZ

I have been handed down from the film era a nice, powerful Pentax flash.

I have successfully used it in manual mode for the last year with my former Canon 1300D camera. Now that I have the K-3 I can enjoy TTL. However, I am not sure how to use it, specifically: it only fires if I set it on the leading curtain-sync mode. Is this expected?

Thanks in advance!

07-26-2018, 04:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wish I had better news for you, but the AF 400 FTZ is not TTL-compatible with most modern Pentax DSLRs, including the K-3. All Pentax DSLRs after the *ist and *istD use P-TTL, which utilizes a preflash to determine the correct exposure. It can be used manually - I have a 500 FTZ that I use in a small "studio" setup, where the situation is more controlled - and it works great. But it won't do TTL metering with the K-3.
07-26-2018, 05:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
I wish I had better news for you, but the AF 400 FTZ is not TTL-compatible with most modern Pentax DSLRs, including the K-3. All Pentax DSLRs after the *ist and *istD use P-TTL, which utilizes a preflash to determine the correct exposure. It can be used manually - I have a 500 FTZ that I use in a small "studio" setup, where the situation is more controlled - and it works great. But it won't do TTL metering with the K-3.
Oh! That's too bad... Which external flash would you recommend to use with the K-3 with TTL? It's, mostly, for high speed sync to use it as fill-in flash with natural light/golden hour backlighting...

Thanks!
07-26-2018, 06:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually the Af-400FT is a TTL flash and works with cameras from the LX up to the *ist D, DS and DS2 in TTL, Auto and manual modes

Shortly before the digital era Pentax introduced an "improved" version of TTL called P-TTL. All Pentax digital SLRs only do P-TTL, except for the *ist D, DS and DS2 which can do both TTL and P-TTL. So with your K-3 it's manual mode or maybe auto mode on the flash.

Your AF-500FTZ is newer than the AF-400 FTZ and they can only be used in manual mode on all Pentax DSLRs. You might also be able to use the Auto mode (where the flash controls the exposure). On the *ist D, DS and DS2 which have the TTL circuitry in them you can do TTL, Auto and manual.

Regards

Chris

07-26-2018, 06:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use an af540fgz flash that I got, partially broken, on Facebook Marketplace for $80 USD. The zoom head didn't work properly so I took it apart and disabled it. It works fine for me without that, but my needs are modest. And it does have high speed sync.

There are Metz flashes out there that are generally well rated by Pentax users, and are much less expensive than a new Pentax flash. I don't know much more about them than that though. Maybe someone else will chime in on that front.
07-26-2018, 10:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
I'll keep on experimenting to see the full extent these two might work together, and keep an eye on those Metz flashes.

Thank you very much!