Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #16
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Any suggestions as to how I can get the image count back to "normal"? I see now when I upload photos, there are as many as 3 images with the same count number. This is really confusing my monthly folder. Perhaps start a second "Aug" folder with a different designation?

08-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #17

The only thing I can think is that you've incidentally un-checked the "Sequential Numbering" box in the menu? It's located under the Wrench tab, Page 2, in the "File No." settings. Be sure the sequential box is checked or it will start numbering at 1 every time.
08-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Any suggestions as to how I can get the image count back to "normal"? I see now when I upload photos, there are as many as 3 images with the same count number. This is really confusing my monthly folder. Perhaps start a second "Aug" folder with a different designation?
What you are seeing are auto-created file names, the number portion of which increments according to rules. The default rules are:
  • Numbering is from 0 to 9999
  • Numbers roll-over at 9999 unless the count is manually reset
  • Files are placed in folders with a new folder being created every day with numbering carried over across folders*
The rules for numbering are simple and can be changed by menu settings. They are found at:
menu --> Set-Up 2 --> File No.
...and are described on page 77 of the English user manual. Options are:
  • Whether to continue the sequence between new folder creation (yes/no)
  • Whether to reset the number sequence to zero and start over
Generally, the first option above is checked (yes). This is the default and results in unique filenames in the range 0-9999. If it is not checked, the sequence starts over with each new folder creation and duplicate names are created every new day that shots are taken.

Where things get difficult is if one wants globally unique filenames when the count goes over 9999. As noted above, this may be accomplished by changing the prefix when the roll-over occurs:
menu --> Set-Up 2 --> File Name
-- or --
Changing the filenames using software later.
I use the import settings in Lightroom to accomplish the second option. In your case, you may want to make sure you have a prefix set that reflects the current 10,000 file "batch", leave the count where it is (no reset), and enable sequential numbering. Duplicate filenames created since the roll-over will have to be renamed manually or in software to some convention that suits you.

Steve

* New folders many be created manually. In addition, the camera may create new folders for operations such as interval exposure.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-22-2018 at 08:43 AM.
08-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Steve, thanks for the great explanation. It's appreciated.