Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Problem with image count on K3

My image count reached 9999; so I adjusted it to start over at #1. Well, now using FastStone, the image count just keeps repeating itself! I have formatted the card. Any suggestions as to how to handle this?

Thanks

08-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #2

I never adjust mine. It just keeps rolling over normally and things go along as they should. Maybe you inadvertently set it to stop numbering sequentially when you reset it? Be sure the box is checked. If not, you might have to do a full factory reset on the camera, but I hate the thought of that, as you'd have to re-enter all your preferred settings after the fact. Looking at my K-3, it appears that the menu has only two options for numbering - checking or unchecking the sequential box, and resetting the number to 0001. I've never reset my numbers, and I'm well over 10k images on my K-3 (and over 20k on the K-30 body my son stole from me).
08-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can't remember why I reset the count; something happened, otherwise I would have paid no attention to the count. I store the photos by month, so hopefully next month only the new downloaded images will appear.
08-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that's normal operation. I have my file name prefix set as K3_X, where X is 0, 1, 2 etc. So K3_09999 was followed by K3_10001 - but I had to change the file name prefix myself.

08-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you accidentally "uncheck" the sequential numbering setting? If unchecked, the numbering will start over with each day's new folder.

Steve
08-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, it's still checked, but photos I took this morning have the same # sequence of those I took after I restarted the count. Just kind of a pain when you have monthly photos, and new ones are placed in with the older numbered ones, because for some reason they now have the same number, since I reset.
08-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax cameras read the file number from the card and increment that number. Is it possible you have left a card with a low file number in the other slot and the camera keeps using that file number?

08-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, that card #2 was formatted and not yet used, as the camera is setup to use #1.
08-15-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Pentax cameras read the file number from the card and increment that number. Is it possible you have left a card with a low file number in the other slot and the camera keeps using that file number?
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
No, that card #2 was formatted and not yet used, as the camera is setup to use #1.
Yes but at any time have you had a card with higher than 0001 as the number on any folder since you reset the count?
08-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
"Yes but at any time have you had a card with higher than 0001 as the number on any folder since you reset the count?"

Card #2 is zero, never been used. Card #1 in the first slot is always formatted after I've taken photos. So with it being formatted, I'd say no.
08-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I just remember my K-50 rolling over and starting at 0001 after it hit 10K but the site count checker still showed the correct information all the way to 16K where it was sold. Have you used the shutter count checking system here? Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
08-15-2018, 03:11 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Yes but at any time have you had a card with higher than 0001 as the number on any folder since you reset the count?"

Card #2 is zero, never been used. Card #1 in the first slot is always formatted after I've taken photos. So with it being formatted, I'd say no.
Was the reset to the count before or after format? And did you power off before shooting another shot? I am wondering if lingering data was in the memory.
08-15-2018, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I just remember my K-50 rolling over and starting at 0001 after it hit 10K but the site count checker still showed the correct information all the way to 16K where it was sold. Have you used the shutter count checking system here? Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
The "actual" count doesn't matter to me, it's just that any new photos uploaded, rather than going to the end of my current folder, they are scattered throughout the month, when a duplicate # happens. It's simply an inconvenience, that I've not seen before.
08-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Was the reset to the count before or after format? And did you power off before shooting another shot? I am wondering if lingering data was in the memory.
I'm not sure now, when the reset happened, re/the format. I didn't power off at that time, but have several times since then, changing lenses.
08-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #15

The "actual" count doesn't matter to me, it's just that any new photos uploaded, rather than going to the end of my current folder, they are scattered throughout the month, when a duplicate # happens. It's simply an inconvenience, that I've not seen before.
Since my wife likes to upload pics and give them names which are outside my standard naming convention, I've had to find workarounds. I name the folder for the event, and then each pic just keeps its designated numerical name from the camera, but she appends names to either the front or the back of the image number, or sometimes deletes the image number and renames everything with a sequential name/number different than what the camera numbers. So my workaround is, I set all the folders to sort by date modified, and pics appear in order rather than randomly by whatever naming convention she applies today.