Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How customizable are the K3II’s JPEGs?

Thanks

09-25-2018, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of customization do you need?

Here's some information to get you started.

How to get your best Pentax JPEGs yet - Amateur Photographer

I have a K-S1 which has basically the same JPEG engine as the K-3. I do shoot quite a bit in JPEG because that's what my wife wants on our family outings (social media ready pictures), so here's my advice:
  • Use in-camera corrections especially for zooms
  • Play around with the different JPEG modes. I used to only take pictures in Natural and Portrait, now I've played around quite a bit with the other settings and even Bright can be pleasing depending on the lens and settings (just don't boost any contrast or saturation in that setting, it's already got plenty!).
  • If you add sharpening in camera, always set it to fine sharpening
  • At night and at high ISOs, the Muted setting works wonderfully
  • Only use the Reversal Film outdoors in daylight where it shines
  • I always use the Shadow and Highlight correction (that's on the main menu, not the JPEG settings)

That's basically it. Go out, take pictures, have fun
09-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Thanks
I have a K-3 (which is the same) and shoot jpeg all the time. I use Picasa , Fast stone , Gimp 2.10 & Windows 10 image to adjust every thing from exposure to full blown abstract work. see Flickr
09-25-2018, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Define "customizable"...

If you mean "how much PP without artifact", the answer is the same for the K-3II as for any other JPEG meaning, "it depends on the image". The tough part is editing from an 8-bit source. One can do quite a bit, but constant vigilance regarding even mild artifact is needed to help avoid major melt-downs on subsequent actions. This may be mitigated to a certain extent by capture to Adobe RGB rather than sRGB.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-25-2018 at 03:03 PM.
09-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Thanks
If you're currently using the K-70, the K-3 gives you (almost all of) the same Custom Image options. These are well-documented in our review of the K-3, as well as the manual and eBook.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another thought...Go out and do a session of RAW + JPEG and match action with action between the two. Artifact will show first in subtle gradients of color and/or value.

Steve
09-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I am grateful for all the useful information. Thanks.

09-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I shoot RAW on one card & JPEG on the other. The JPEG card has a micro card which I can put in my tablet for, almost, instant upload to Facebook etc.