Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2018, 04:08 AM   #1

K-3 Mirror problem - No Pentax service centre in UK

My K-3 (only 3,500 shutter count) would not turn on. I replaced the battery with a fully charged (Pentax branded) one, although the one in the camera was almost full. Camera turns on but mirror will not move, so black pictures. Mirror lock-up function (for sensor cleaning) does not work either. I am on the latest firmware. Have tried manual lenses too (just in case), and battery grip, USB connection - nothing.

I called Pentax and was told that their service centre in the UK is in administration - so they suggested sending the camera to France or Germany for repair. My camera is out of warranty (bought in 2014). If there were a chance that Pentax would fix it as a goodwill gesture - given its pristine condition and low use - I would send it abroad, but they are not offering .

I hope Ricoh/Pentax can get a new partner in the UK - otherwise I will think twice before upgrading again. (Who knows what changes Brexit might bring to shipping cameras for service!)

Any recommendations for Pentax camera repair service here in the UK?

Thanks,
Dan

10-17-2018, 04:20 AM   #2

http://www.repairs-direct.com/camera-repairs/pentax-camera-repairs.aspx

You can try the above site

10-17-2018, 07:08 AM   #3

It may be due to the lack of use that's potentially caused the issue, I don't think you can really expect Pentax to fix it as a goodwill gesture after 4 years, These guys look like they are still in business Asahi Photo
10-17-2018, 07:43 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dan_uk Quote
My camera is out of warranty (bought in 2014). If there were a chance that Pentax would fix it as a goodwill gesture - given its pristine condition and low use - I would send it abroad, but they are not offering .
This is expecting way too much from any company. If Pentax fixed everyone's 4+ year old camera as a "goodwill gesture"; they wouldn't remain in business. I'm quite sure Canon and Nikon would also not do this as goodwill. If you value the K3, find out the closest place to send it, and get a quote in writing for repair.

10-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies!

In addition to these two companies, I have also been given the name of Don Clark Camera Repairs in Wooton-under-Edge, Glos.
(Camera repairs - Nikon, Olympus, Leica, Panasonic and more » Don Clark Camera Repairs Ltd)

And, yes, Chris (chrism888), you are right, I do not really expect Pentax to extend goodwill for this.

(Although I will say that Apple fixed my 4 year old Macbook Pro free of charge as a goodwill gesture, so it is not beyond possibility - but goodwill is just that, completely at the discretion of the manufacturer.)

Thanks all.
10-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hadn't realised that Johnson's Photopia were in administration (since about 3 weeks ago) until I read this - that's a shame, I've never used them, but they had a good reputation - I'm sure Ricoh will be looking for another service centre, though that doesn't help you much right now.
11-14-2018, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-3 (only 3,500 shutter count) would not turn on. I replaced the battery with a fully charged (Pentax branded) one, although the one in the camera was almost full. Camera turns on but mirror will not move, so black pictures. Mirror lock-up function (for sensor cleaning) does not work either. I am on the latest firmware. Have tried manual lenses too (just in case), and battery grip, USB connection - nothing.

I called Pentax and was told that their service centre in the UK is in administration - so they suggested sending the camera to France or Germany for repair. My camera is out of warranty (bought in 2014). If there were a chance that Pentax would fix it as a goodwill gesture - given its pristine condition and low use - I would send it abroad, but they are not offering .

I hope Ricoh/Pentax can get a new partner in the UK - otherwise I will think twice before upgrading again. (Who knows what changes Brexit might bring to shipping cameras for service!)

Any recommendations for Pentax camera repair service here in the UK?

Thanks,
Dan
I can recommend First Aid Repairs in Royal Tunbridge Wells - they repaired a K-x for me about 3 years ago. They give a reasonable quote on description of the problem (the quote was accurate) and the repair turn-round was about a week.

11-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
I have been told by Pentax support that Johnsons Photopia is again in operation. I phoned them and they confirmed they are repairing Pentax again.

In the meantime, I had already sent my camera to Advanced Camera Services in Norfolk and I am waiting to hear their diagnosis. If they need a part, at least they now know where they can get it.
01-18-2019, 03:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the quick replies!

In addition to these two companies, I have also been given the name of Don Clark Camera Repairs in Wooton-under-Edge, Glos.
(Camera repairs - Nikon, Olympus, Leica, Panasonic and more » Don Clark Camera Repairs Ltd)

And, yes, Chris (chrism888), you are right, I do not really expect Pentax to extend goodwill for this.

(Although I will say that Apple fixed my 4 year old Macbook Pro free of charge as a goodwill gesture, so it is not beyond possibility - but goodwill is just that, completely at the discretion of the manufacturer.)

Thanks all.
Bear in mind in the UK if you can prove a device has a manufacturing defect it has a 6 year warranty (fit for use) I successfully persuaded Pentax to replace my 5 year old 50-135 when the SDM failed.

i.e if your macbook had a 'known' fault Apple were only operating within UK trading legislation and not goodwill whatever they inferred
01-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Bear in mind in the UK if you can prove a device has a manufacturing defect it has a 6 year warranty (fit for use) I successfully persuaded Pentax to replace my 5 year old 50-135 when the SDM failed.

i.e if your macbook had a 'known' fault Apple were only operating within UK trading legislation and not goodwill whatever they inferred
That is great to hear. So Pentax warranty issues are tied to the laws of the country of purchase and not exclusively controlled by the manufacturer. I knew that but it is nice to see that it works.
01-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Just to clarify that this isn't really a 6 year warranty. First the onus is on you, the buyer, to prove that any failure is due to an inherent fault that was there at the time of purchase. You also have to prove that you would reasonably expect the item to last more than 6 years. Assuming you can prove both these things you are only entitled to damages, i.e. a notional amount based on price paid less value of benefit received.

So in this case, Pentax were being generous as they were not required to replace. All they had to do was make an offer - probably the price of a second hand replacement or maybe the cost of repair.

Notwithstanding the the various hoops the buyer must go through, it's still a whole deal better than "Tough!" but it isn't what most folk think of as a warranty.
01-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

You might try Asahi Photo at Brentford - used them several times and they are pretty good, but phone first (020 8232 8111) and ask for Pranath!
01-20-2019, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

maybe just remove the lens and move the mirror up 'n down a few times with your finger? who knows.