Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clustered focus points

The K3 is a wonderful camera on many levels, but I found it very frustrating this weekend when on a photowalk in Brooklyn (Serge Ramelli was in town, for those who know him). With my camera set up on a tripod, the item I was often trying to focus on something which was outside of the cluster of focal points. It was quite frustrating. I suppose I could put it in Live View and use the greater flexibility it offers, but I hope that the K3 replacement addresses this with a wider array of focus points.

11-07-2018, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
The K3 is a wonderful camera on many levels, but I found it very frustrating this weekend when on a photowalk in Brooklyn (Serge Ramelli was in town, for those who know him). With my camera set up on a tripod, the item I was often trying to focus on something which was outside of the cluster of focal points. It was quite frustrating. I suppose I could put it in Live View and use the greater flexibility it offers, but I hope that the K3 replacement addresses this with a wider array of focus points.
Focus, recompose?
11-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On a tripod, I often use live view to focus. It's easier to see when the tripod is low, and offers better coverage over the frame. I've also done focus and recompose as suggested above, as well as zone focusing with the distance scale

I've mostly wished to have a larger area covered by af points when it's was critical to get fast af and live view wasn't an option (action, concerts). The points actually cover quite a bit outside of the frame shown in the viewfinder, but it's easy to misfocus by guessing just how much that is.

Last edited by aaacb; 11-07-2018 at 03:46 PM.
11-07-2018, 03:12 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Agree that the best way to focus on a tripod is in manual focus mode in LV. Press the OK button and you will see a 100% zoom image on the screen. Use the arrows to move the view so it shows the object you want to be in focus.

This beats autofocus by a country mile every time.

11-07-2018, 07:49 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Af point coverage is a current weakness if DSLR technology no matter what the brand.

Certain brands have progressively increased the number of points but coverage even in class leading models is still limited compared to mirrorless.

This is one of the real benefits of mirrorless.
11-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Agree that the best way to focus on a tripod is in manual focus mode in LV. Press the OK button and you will see a 100% zoom image on the screen. Use the arrows to move the view so it shows the object you want to be in focus.

This beats autofocus by a country mile every time.
There isn't other way.
11-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's easy to do when it is handheld, but not so when on a tripod.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Focus, recompose?

11-24-2018, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
That's easy to do when it is handheld, but not so when on a tripod.
why?
I do it all the time. I have a ballhead. Simply loosen it, focus, recompose and tighten it - one hand on the camera, eye in the viewfinder and the other hand on the ballhead.
Seems like a non issue. And like you yourself pointed out: " I suppose I could put it in Live View and use the greater flexibility it offers". Live View is awesome on the K3. You can even zoom in 100% and focus manually if you don't trust AF.

The points are clustered together on the K3, that's true. Next one should make a layout like the Nikon D500 has.

*Serge "magenta and rough editing" Ramelli