Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #1

K3/14mm lens malfunction

Greetings,
Would like some advice on a problem that cropped up for me yesterday while shooting a real-estate job. have a K-3 and was using a pentax 14mm SMC DA 2.8. Started having problems with the lens auto-focusing.

Motor starts to sound like it is focusing but then it just keeps whirring and may or not actually focus, but generally even if it does focus the shutter will not release. Pretty sure it is the lens issue as I switched out to a 50 mm and had no problems.

any suggestions as to possible solution or who to send to? I have had the lens for several years so I don't think warranty is still in place. I am near KEH and have heard that they have good repair dept.

Thanks in advance. BTW battery is fully charged right now, and was at the gig...so I don't think it is a battery problem.

tom

03-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KEH does have a good reputation; I have had several repairs done by Advance Camera in Portland, OR. and have been very pleased with their work...
03-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF with an ultrawide can be problematic in that the subject ambiguity to the PDAF sensor can be HUGE with resulting inability to attain and signal best focus. Much as it is difficult to manually focus your DA 14/2.8, the AF system will not likely have an easier time of it. Focus point placement is critical and must be on a portion of the frame with sufficient detail to work with. Dust or other soiling of the AF sensor might make locking focus even harder. It might not hurt to have KEH take a look at it.

Steve