Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2019, 01:21 AM   #1

my K3 II freeze

Hi, yesterday I made some macro picture in Live view mode. At a certain point, my body freeze. Impossible to do anything ! I put the body in off position but the live view stay on. I put the body on and off, but still the live view screen on.
I remove the battery and all came back to normal.
A day later, macro picture Av mode, impossible to change any parameter aperture was freeze at a value.

I put the body off and on and all came back to normal.

I saw Pentax ask for the return of some K3 II but my serial number is normaly not concerned.

I am disapointed...

03-30-2019, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is your battery old, or was the level low at that time? Freezes are more likely to happen when the power drain exceeds what the battery can deliver.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-30-2019, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Especially if you are using Live View which has a large power drain to power the display.

Regards

Chris
03-30-2019, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And especially if you have GPS activated.

03-30-2019, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My k3 has done this once in a while... I think all of the times were when battery was low.
03-30-2019, 06:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

same with my K3-II. A quick fix is to just pull the battery and reinsert, after charging.
03-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
I don't know, I was with live view and gps. I can try to change by battery.
But I'm sure it was not full charged but not empty.
I'll check it if this occurs another time.
I hope it's not a failure...

03-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
same with my K3-II. A quick fix is to just pull the battery and reinsert, after charging.
Except when you have the grip on, pulling the battery in just the grip doesn't fix the freeze. I've had to frantically remove the grip, then remove and re-insert the body battery to fix the freeze. Royal pain when you're shooting sports or other action.
03-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
Except when you have the grip on, pulling the battery in just the grip doesn't fix the freeze. I've had to frantically remove the grip, then remove and re-insert the body battery to fix the freeze. Royal pain when you're shooting sports or other action.
makes sense that you have to remove both power sources

wonder if you could select grip battery only and remove that to fix problems ?
04-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
Forum Member

my K3 does this regardless of battery power and live view. It just freezes sometimes.
07-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #11

My K3 also does the same - I have noticed it is more likely to occur when turning the camera off before a photo has finished processing to memory when in live-view or if I have been using it for many photos taken in a short time (ie bracketing). Simply popping out the battery is the cure. I have had it happen with fully charged batteries as well as half-spent batteries. GPS is always on as well.

I have learned to live with it....maybe someday a firmware update may address this. All in all though - I will continue to shoot with Pentax - just comfortable with the camera and its feel.
07-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like many have said, be sure your camera battery is fully charged when using live view. I have the battery grip and 2 Pentax batteries and this has never happened with my camera, after 2 years. I do also use GPS so I always have 2 fully charged Pentax batteries in my K3-II and battery grip when useing live view or doing video...I use aftermarket batteries in my older Pentax bodies but never with my K3-II. The 2 batteries always last a full day of usage with no issues so far,
07-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I wonder any of you guys set to High Continuous shooting mode? This is what I find out and it will be good if anyone can test and confirm.

My K3 doesn't freeze if
- on normal shooing (single shooing mode) no matter how low the battery level is. (usually, I change the battery if it goes down 1 one dash.)
- on Medium continuous shooting mode no matter how low the battery level is.
- on High continuous shooing mode after a few hours of normal shooting no matter how low the battery level is.

It will likely freeze if
- on high continuous shooting model + battery not full without a few warmup shots. by warm-up, I mean maybe an hour of normal shooting / 40-50 shots?.
- I would say 50-50 for the first 1 or 2 hours "if it is using full battery comes with my K3" even on the normal shooting mode. I guess my K3 battery is a bad copy. If it doesn't happen after 2 hours of shooting, it will likely not happen at all no matter what shooting mode I am using.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 07-17-2019 at 07:56 PM.
07-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

While not a K-3II, my K-3 is close enough that I feel it appropriate to put my 2-cents worth in...

I have been shooting with my early production K-3 since March of 2014. During that time, I don't recall ever having a freeze. My general work involves:
  • Fairly heavy use of live view for manual focus using vintage lenses
  • Frequent, though not exclusive, use of both motor-in-lens and pawl-drive AF
  • Occasional use of continuous shooting -- high
  • Occasional interval and multiple exposure composites
  • Very rare video
  • Almost never interval movies
  • Occasional long exposures for night/astro work, with duration extending to several minutes with sessions lasting several hours
  • Product and table-top work using built-in, on-camera, and multiple flash setups
  • A mix of Pentax, Wasabi, and DSTE batteries (six total) used in rotation
  • Have never had a battery test at less than its nominal voltage unless discharged into the red
  • Never fast-charged. Always charged using the Pentax slow charger that came with the camera.
  • Very seldom allowed to discharge into the "red" before swapping out for a fresh battery
  • Only twice in five years has the camera shut down due to low battery
  • Only once had a shutdown due to high camera temperature
  • Do a fair amount of landscape work in all weather in a damp climate

I take part in a fair amount of help request the threads an my take on camera freeze with the K-3 goes like this:
  • Not common and definitely not a general characteristic of the K-3 model
  • Often involves power problems due to low voltage from batteries gone bad
  • There is a correlation between use of the battery grip and camera freeze
  • If not bad battery, water intrusion with internal corrosion is often to blame as might physical damage due to being dropped or similar
  • Bad board in the electronics

If power problems are suspected, the last image made before a freeze may contain clues in the makernotes section of the file's EXIF metadata. Items of interest would include any tags for internal camera voltage and/or temperatures.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-17-2019 at 09:10 PM.
09-27-2019, 11:01 PM   #15

Original Poster
This append once. I never reproduce this problem. Probably a battery issue. I notice a huge difference of autonomy between my K3II with GPS and my K7. With my K7 I made 650 shots with a single battery (and I can continue) the same day. With my K3 II I was really surprise to have the battery down after 6 hours / 220 shots on a tripod. Probably the GPS need more energy than the body. And off course, the day I was short in battery life, I forgot my spare battery...