Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Thanks for the replies, I was inside, but the door was open, so no interference. I was using liveview with the focus point on his head. It's possible there was some fogging as the lens was stored inside and it was cold outside. I'll look at the exit when I've finished watching F1 race.
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
That is precisely what I was talking about. The contrast in temperature makes things outside look blurry because of the heat.
I agree there must be heat differential from the house vs. cold air via the open door

that might be interference ?

a " turbulence " effect ?

What causes a mirage? - Scientific American

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Looks like the left side of the photo is not as affected as the right side, probably lens fogging as a result of the temp differential. You also said you were using live view but were you using manual focus with focus peaking on the beak area or letting the camera select the focus zone?

to my untrained eye, the left side of the images do seem sharper

03-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #17
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Hi, I'm not normally a birder, but today was too good to miss! A cardinal posing in a shrub with the snow falling, what's not to like! But the pics don't seem a detailed as some I see, taken with K3ii, Pentax 300mm lens with Pentax 1.4 convertor. 1/1000 sec f5.6 iso 400, mounted on a tripod, shake reduction off and using a cable release. Any help?

Thanks, Tuggie76
I wouldn't worry about shooting through a clean window. The bigger issue is all the high frequency details ( branches) and low contrast, soft diffuse light. Lighting is everything.

Made this years ago. From inside (too cold for an open door) through a sliding glass door. K5IIs, Kenko 1.5 TC and Sigma 100-300/4 on tripod. Probably had SR off, AF-S with Single Center point.
Camera bodies stay in Manual. Much simpler background, much higher ground to figure contrast. But still pretty flat with overcast, soft diffuse light. Change to a small point source aka bright sunny day and its a very different image
I was also able to fill the frame with the bird so lots more pixels of it vs branches.

03-31-2019, 02:09 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Canadian Goose Preening In Focus

K-3ii. Used a 55-300mm DA L lens. The screw drive was slow & and patiently waited to focus on the bird, everything else blurred away. The first photo is uncropped, the 2nd is cropped to 100%.....some DA lenses "hunt" make sure the spot focus in on your subject, and, keep on shooting. Your camera is fine. I doubt it's a fine focus issue because as LarryMC stated, the snow in the focal range is in focus.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As mentioned, you can get terrible distortion/blur from the heat pouring out of the warm window/door way when shooting like this. I have a favorite window I shoot from for birds on the feeder etc., and this is a problem I struggle with when the temperature differential is much. The heat just pours out and causes quite the interference.

04-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the input, it's much appreciated. I never cease to learn something from you guys!