Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #1

Pentax K3II Failure

Today I experience something really strange. I turned on my camera and my screw driver autofocus didn't work also the mirror didn't open and the aperture would not move from the on off toggle switch. The camera will just take black frames . It will not even tray to move. I restarted the camera nothing. Change the lens same thing. Reset and refresh the camera no result. Initially I was under the impression that all 3 functions are operated by one motor but after checking on Pentax web site they all have independent motors. Lucky for me the camera is less then one year old and I shipped it for repair under warranty. It looks like a control board has failed because all mechanical components are dead.

04-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, that does sound like a dead board. With any luck the repair guys will get it fixed and back to you quickly.

Steve
04-30-2019, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Amihov Quote
It looks like a control board has failed because all mechanical components are dead.
Oops!

In Electronic components Failures most commonly occur near the beginning and near the ending of the lifetime of the parts.

I'am lucky cos my K3II, after 3 years, never let me down

A really good camera, I'm waiting for the next sucessor or the K1iii... or an used 645D by december, whatever happens first
04-30-2019, 09:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
I did search around in the forum and I cannot find anyone having all this issues appearing together in the same time. I wish there was detail diagram where I can see what is causing this type of behaviour. Any way if any one has better idea then me please post.
Thank you.
Alex

04-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did search around in the forum and I cannot find anyone having all this issues appearing together in the same time. I wish there was detail diagram where I can see what is causing this type of behaviour. Any way if any one has better idea then me please post.
Thank you.
Alex
This sort of thing (likely electronic failure) is reported every once in awhile and if not faulty from the factory, it usually is the result of water incursion or physical damage. You have sent it in for service and they will let you know what it took to fix it.

Steve
05-01-2019, 05:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. Let see what the experts are going to say. I am glad I bought new with warranty.
05-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
So I got an update for the repair status. Apparently it is a big job to fix it. I was not told what really has failed in the unit I guess will find out once I get it back. Now I am thing next time I buy Pentax to buy a used unit that has passed over 10 000 shots so if there was anything faulty from the factory it would have failed with the first owner. Dealing with repairs is not fun especially when you have to wait weeks at the time to get it fixed. I never expected that a warranty can take so long.

05-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never expected that a warranty can take so long.
Before switch to software programmer I worked in an HP's Service Center.

Being in warranty period: repairing "electronics" devices means identify the damage board and replace it with a new one. 1 to 4 weeks to get the spare.

If the device was out of warranty, we do NOT fix the board at component basis... except for a board's fuse blown or the switch failure (that was the only components we checked)

IMHO, I guess that many dead digital Cameras could be "homed" fixed, by checking-cleaning the power switch and testing the boards fuses.

My own theory in why the main fuse are blown in Pentax DSLR: a voltage/current's peak by a temporal focus screw's stuck or powering the lens IF.

What was the latest lens You'd been using before Your K-3II fails?
05-11-2019, 05:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
Before switch to software programmer I worked in an HP's Service Center.

Being in warranty period: repairing "electronics" devices means identify the damage board and replace it with a new one. 1 to 4 weeks to get the spare.

If the device was out of warranty, we do NOT fix the board at component basis... except for a board's fuse blown or the switch failure (that was the only components we checked)

IMHO, I guess that many dead digital Cameras could be "homed" fixed, by checking-cleaning the power switch and testing the boards fuses.

My own theory in why the main fuse are blown in Pentax DSLR: a voltage/current's peak by a temporal focus screw's stuck or powering the lens IF.

What was the latest lens You'd been using before Your K-3II fails?
Thank you for the info. I guess you have a point. I worked before also for the service industry I use to sell phones back 15 years ago so at that time the turn around for repair was no longer then 2 weeks usually with in the 1st week the repaired phone will be back. Now to the point of home fixing. I wonder if you have the electrical schematic for the K3II because in my experience at least for me with no schematic the chance for successful repair is quit small. If you do have them please share. The last lens was brand new Tamron 70-200mm f 2.8 that I bought since it was so well recognized on pentaxforums.
05-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

with no schematic the chance for successful repair is quit small
Exactly!

Sorry, I don't have the schematics, but...

That's the reason why I said "IMHO, I guess that many dead digital Cameras could be "homed" fixed, by checking-cleaning the power switch and testing the boards fuses."
Multimeter is useless if you do not know the value to compare vs the "meter", at least the fuse must be near to 0 Ohms and being the couse of Dead failarues most the time and are easy to identify in the boards.

Well, being in the matter, Tamron 70-200mm f 2.8 is an IF focus type lens, that does NOT prove my theory but this is going to be first case to archive. Thank You.
05-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #11

Original Poster
It was really strange for me too, because it was a failure on a new Camera. I suspect it is a defective board that was simply not detected durning manufacturing. My Pentax KX was ovet 9 years old with over 40 000 pictures when I sold it in mint condition. And I never had an issue with even once.
05-22-2019, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
The camera came back from repair. The failure was Integrated Circuit protector. Why the fuse has blown nobody knows. No other fault was found.
Parts replaced are:
Cover Plate double stick part No - 0077240 B81
Cover Plate ASS'Y part No - 0077760 0-B80
Shutter Code FPC part No - 077760 T75
If some one can make sense out of all this please let me know. I wonder what are all these parts replaced and how are they connect to the circuit board fuse .
The camera is working fine and the moment. I am quit happy that I got it brand new.
Thank you for your input.
Alex