Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Max SD memory card capacity?

Is there a limit for what capacity of SD cards to stuff into my K3 II?

And now that we're at it; what class and other specs are the best suited for the K3 II ?

05-04-2019, 04:23 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no limit beyond the 2Tb theoretical maximum for SDXC cards, which has not yet been reached in production cards (but undoubtedly will soon). As for the card to get, check out this comprehensive guide:

Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

TLDR you can't go wrong with any sandisk extreme card, and it will deliver optimal performance with all the current Pentax bodies. Lifetime warranty is another plus as they will replace faulty cards for you if you keep your receipts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is no limit beyond the 2Tb theoretical maximum for SDXC cards
But, don't put all of your eggs in one basket! Depending on how often you download what's on your card, you may not want to put a lot of pictures on a single card.

I find a 16 GB card about optimum - holds a lot of frames, but I download everyday's shots as well, in case something goes south with the card.
05-04-2019, 11:13 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
But, don't put all of your eggs in one basket! Depending on how often you download what's on your card, you may not want to put a lot of pictures on a single card.

I find a 16 GB card about optimum - holds a lot of frames, but I download everyday's shots as well, in case something goes south with the card.
I agree...

05-05-2019, 01:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm working with 128 GB cards, because I've a lot of events with 1000 to 1500 pictures at one session (Concerts). And I'm working with raw. These sessions are bigger than 64 GB. But the cards get copied immediately after the session to a computer and get a backup. I don't want to have a full card midst in a series, and I don't like to exchange cards on a free air event like "Rock am Ring", or "Wacken open Air". And I'm using cards von well known vendors baught by a reliable store. The write speed must not be above 45 MB/sec because the K3 write with roundabout 35 und the K1 with roundabout 25 MB/sec (Yes the K1 ist slower than the K3).
05-05-2019, 05:50 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sandisk cards aren't known for going south, and I work with 64GB and 128GB cards. And having many smaller cards they tend to get lost in the camera bag, I'd just as soon have two larger cards, besides I shoot RAW also so a 16GB card will fill up faster than a 128GB will.