Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #1

Exposure bracketing images in separate folders

Hi,

I use K-3 body with latest firmware (1.40).
I tend to shoot exposure bracketing images for HDR to be assembled later on PC (5 images).

I use U3 user mode with settings for that, while 99% of time I use Av mode for single shots.
Images are recorded in raw format (DNG).

I wonder if there is a way to configure images coming from U3 mode to be saved in separate folder or distinguished in any other way.

At the end of the day I end up with lot of files and it is very tiring manually to determinate which of those where actually part of the same pack in term of HDR and which are single shots.

I found an option "Create new folder" in menu, but I have to reach for menu every time before and after my U3 shots set in order to accomplish that.

Any advice is more than welcomed!

Thanks!

Best regards,

Mario.

07-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by strsljen Quote
I found an option "Create new folder" in menu, but I have to reach for menu every time before and after my U3 shots set in order to accomplish that.
That's a good idea. I guess it is possible to have the last place in menu remembered so that creating a new folder only require to press Menu and Ok.
07-24-2019, 11:08 AM   #3

In digiKam the advanced search can filter by "Exposure" set to "Auto bracket".

With ExifTool the TAG EXIF::ExposureMode is set to "Auto bracket". MakerNotes::ShakeReduction == "Off" is also useful. ExifTool should be able to rename a file based on these tags.

For the Linux power user:

These commands will list all DNG files shot using bracketing and shake reduction disabled.

Code:
sudo apt install exiftool jq
Code:
exiftool -json -g IMGP????.DNG > db.json
Code:
jq -r '.[] | select(.MakerNotes.ShakeReduction == "Off" and .EXIF.ExposureMode == "Auto bracket") | .SourceFile' db.json
07-24-2019, 11:16 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K1N8 Quote
In digiKam the advanced search can filter by "Exposure" set to "Auto bracket".

With ExifTool the TAG EXIF::ExposureMode is set to "Auto bracket". MakerNotes::ShakeReduction == "Off" is also useful. ExifTool should be able to rename a file based on these tags.

For the Linux power user:

These commands will list all DNG files shot using bracketing and shake reduction disabled.

Code:
sudo apt install exiftool jq
Code:
exiftool -json -g IMGP????.DNG > db.json
Code:
jq -r '.[] | select(.MakerNotes.ShakeReduction == "Off" and .EXIF.ExposureMode == "Auto bracket") | .SourceFile' db.json
This is actually great idea.
Having all my equipment at home running Debian, this might actually do the trick.

Although, after last night shooting, I got home with 67 photos, most of which are HDR targeting shots of the pretty much same sunset. But I'll manage.

Thanks!

Mario.

07-25-2019, 01:21 AM   #5

Hacking Exif with Exiftool - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

I posted some more instructions in the thread above
09-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #6

why not just shoot a marker frame at start and finish of each set using your hand, fingers, cards whatever