Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are shooting wide astro shots then the K-1 would be a better choice hands down. Being full frame with bigger pixels has advantages in the noise department but you will lack the reach you have with the K-3. However if you are going after deep sky objects then it is a different story as the crop factor of the K-3 gets you closer. I'm mostly happy shooting deep sky objects with my 300mm but a 400mm would be better in most cases on the K-3 but if I had a K-1 I would really want some longer glass in the 500mm to 600mm range and the price difference between a good 300mm f/4 and lenses longer and at least the same speed is substantial.

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a K-1 just keep in mind what you are shooting and how much of the frame you want to fill

08-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have both the K-3ii and the K-1. Personally, since I have my K-3ii equipped with the battery base, I can shoot over 1000 photos without battery exchange--and it is still no heavier than the K-1. The APS-c lenses perfected by Pentax and 3rd parties means that when I take the K-3ii out for scenery/landscape/wildlife shots, I usually don't need more than the 50-300mm (75-450mm APS-c) lens.

The K-1 excels in darker interior areas, portrait work and even street photography. Equipped with the excellent 50mm f1.4 prime lens, the shots are incredible, but even with the full frame sensor pounding out 36mp, it is merely incrementally better on most shots and, the KP, which I thought I would not like as much, has turned out be a keeper.

Conclusion: the K-1, given its size is not ideal for "field" work when Pentax has several other excellent smaller bodies able to do the job. Look at it this way: 24mp on an APS-c, is very close in pixel size and acuity to a Full frame 36mp. The K-1 excels because it has newer IQ and improved firmware over the K-3ii, but I wouldn't dump my K-3ii and use a K-1 exclusively.
08-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Uncle Vanya, kudos. I’ll play his tipsy friend and recommend leveraging your K3 further. Have you tried panoramic stitching or pixel shifting for your landscapes and outdoor work? I use a K3ii, and got it specifically to chase night skies and scenics, and it passes muster for some other tasks. I cast no shade on the K1 series, but I realized, just prior to buying one, that I hadn’t really pushed the APS-C realm very hard. If there is a specific task needing bigger output, I can rent something or use my Extensive P67 systems. No commercial advice is intended here; been there and done with it; retired. Fwiw, mirrorless technology is singing to me and I need to scale kit sizes backward due to health issues. Time to dust off my MZs! Lol!
08-14-2019, 12:42 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffdrew Quote
Uncle Vanya, kudos. I’ll play his tipsy friend and recommend leveraging your K3 further. Have you tried panoramic stitching or pixel shifting for your landscapes and outdoor work? I use a K3ii, and got it specifically to chase night skies and scenics, and it passes muster for some other tasks. I cast no shade on the K1 series, but I realized, just prior to buying one, that I hadn’t really pushed the APS-C realm very hard. If there is a specific task needing bigger output, I can rent something or use my Extensive P67 systems. No commercial advice is intended here; been there and done with it; retired. Fwiw, mirrorless technology is singing to me and I need to scale kit sizes backward due to health issues. Time to dust off my MZs! Lol!
Thanks. I am not saying the K-1 can't be the right camera for a lot of folks. I really think there is a full frame bias - yes it does a lot of things very very well but many of us are far from being anywhere near the limitations of APSC. I think I looked hard in the mirror and decided I couldn't really justify pushing past APSC at this time for 99% of the photography I like. I have micro 4/3 16mp sensor gear as well. I have yet to have a customer tell me that the m43 13x19 prints I have for sale are inferior to my APSC ones or anything anyone else is selling nearby - not at that size.

But I don't do astro and I might benefit occasionally from better Low Light and perhaps even shallower DOF in some cases. Most of the time it just doesn't matter with my subjects.

08-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffdrew Quote
I need to scale kit sizes backward due to health issues. Time to dust off my MZs! Lol!
May I recommend the Leica CL digital; get the Pentax adapter and you can use the lens in manual mode. The CL is 24.2mp 2018 sensor with plenty of power in the mirrorless apc-c mode. If you want small and just want to keep your lenses, the KP with the firmware upgrade is excellent. Using a 18-135mm zoom lens keeps the weight light, the lenses you know and love in your hands, and at $800 +/- is the bargain of the year; in many ways, it surpasses the K-3ii and is largely on par with the K-1 as well.
11-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #21
Forum Member

How well does stop down metering work with K1 II and manual lenses?
11-30-2019, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I really think there is a full frame bias
Agree. Probably a range of reasons from we all want it to be better because it's suppose to as well as some technical items to back that up on paper. Changes in technology with something like the accelerator in the KP and K-1 II versus the K-3 II on it's own perhaps makes it harder to distinguish, and what I mean by that is my K-1/K-1 II has always been much better for me in low light than my K-3 II, and I'd attribute that to the sensor/accelerator, but I have a hunch from the sample photos I've seen with the KP, that the distinction becomes less clear. And the to throw out a real curve, I was going through some shots the other day with my Q-S1 and K-1 II, and I was surprised how good the Q-S1 shots were next to the K-1 II - just clicking through them, it wasn't jumping out at me which camera I had used. Bottom line is you can do really nice work with many formats.

12-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by phreon Quote
How well does stop down metering work with K1 II and manual lenses?
In live mode - is the same excellent meter as it accounts for the entire frame. In optical viewfinder mode, the multi segment reverts to center weighted meter, or you can specifically use spot meter: regardless, the exposure becomes again a function of the photographer and not of the camera.