Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3-II, AF not working properly

Hello All,

my K3-II is well over 10000 clicks, and AF is not working properly.

Is there anything I can do, like, cleaning a sensor?

Most of the times now I shoot in MF, and because I'm old, it doesn't look that bad.

However, I would like to have a working camera, if possible avoiding a repair center...

-Gian

10-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given that the shutter life is 200k, 10k is certainly far from high mileage.

Have you tried cleaning the mirror box?

Also, what exact problem are you experiencing?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-02-2019, 11:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
well... I press the button, it focuses, but it doesn't look really sharp enough, so I try to override the focus manually, but when I press again, it goes back to a slightly blurred image.
This means the camera and I have a different opinion about focusing...
In the end I just kill the AF and go MF.

---------- Post added 10-03-19 at 08:56 ----------

and no, I didn't try to clean the mirror box.
Are there detailed instructions about how to do that properly?
10-03-2019, 12:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Some additional information would be useful.

1. Which AF-Mode do you use? My K3-II was set to AUTO with all 27 focus points when I got it. This led frequently to shots where the camera would focus on a different target than what I intended. Fix: use SPOT mode.

2. Is the poor focus a general problem or does it only occur with a certain lens respectively certain focal length or situations? If it is lens-specific this points to either a unreliable AF motor (e.g. SDM failure) or communication issues (poor contact between lens and body). If it only happens at very wide angles than it might be aphysical limitation; my K3-II misfocusses mainly at very short focal length when focussing towards infinity. A generally low hit rate points rather to dust in the mirror box.

3. Is the focus only slightly off or all over the place? A picture could help for a better understanding what exactly you are unhappy with.

I also had the effect twice that I inadvertently changed the diopter setting (small wheel right of viewfinder). This led to the impression that AF was not working properly - because after AF action the picture seen in the diopter was fuzzy.

10-03-2019, 01:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You should test your lenses for front or back focus. It is advisable to set fine adjustment for every lens individually (custom menu C-26 on the K3 -> set to 3).

I use the dot-tune method - you get a few results on google that explain exactly what you have to do. It takes maybe 10 minutes per lens but it is absolutely necessary for a high megapixel sensor camera such as the K3 II.

On my cameras, almost every lens needs a different value, and as long as the focus is tack sharp on one of the available values (-10 to +10, with 0 as standard), the camera is considered within tolerance and is in fact working properly. If you need to go outside the range to obtain perfect focus, you might need to send the camera and lens to a service center for adjustment.

My advice is to clean all the contacts, clean the mirror box using a rocket blower (i use a giottos - and i am more than pleased) and then adjust the af fine tune - hopefully all your problens will be solved.
10-03-2019, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

When you say the image is blurry, is it an actual picture or what you see through the viewfinder? If through the viewfinder, it just means you need to set the dioptric adjustment to your eye by turning the small wheel beside the viewfinder.
10-03-2019, 05:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does it focus correctly in live view?

10-03-2019, 05:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank All of you for the advice.

I will do some homework, and be back here.

I do need dioptric correction, but information in the viewfinder is clear, so I guess it's setup correctly.
10-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here is a link to the manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3-2.pdf

look at page 16 for info on diapter adjustment dial
10-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
one of my K3s is doing the same thing, it thinks focus is different than what I want, its not the diopter. I blew out the mirror box and factory reset the camera and that seemed to help, but it still did it once over the weekend. is there anything I can read or watch about cleaning the focus sensor?
11-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did not know that you could enlarge the image in LV.

Indeed, the focus can be manually improved in LV, but it's not really practical to use a tripod each time you want to take a picture.

I wonder if the problem is in the camera, or it's related to a possible mechanical issue in the movement of the lens.
11-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I took a smal lens brush and cleaned the focusing sensor glass with the mirror up. my camera has given me no issues since then, you might want to try that