Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2019, 06:24 AM   #1

mirror stays up

hi Pentax k3 mirror stays up. the shutter is open and the sensor is floating and the only way to get it back is to take the battery out anyone help

10-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pykeyuk Quote
hi Pentax k3 mirror stays up. the shutter is open and the sensor is floating and the only way to get it back is to take the battery out anyone help
Is the mirror going up again as soon as you enter the battery and turn the camera on or just after pressing the shutter button?
-In that case try another battery if you have one (I have read there where some problems sometimes although I never ran into them)
-another possibility is the "mirror flap" problem some K-3s develop (more on that here:K-3 Mirror Flap - Was It Ever Cured? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com)

Next possibility user error: I think there are only 3 possible ways for that (not including number 4: something is faulty):
-LV is on (I guess we can exclude this possibility)
-Are you by any chance in Bulb mode? Although then the mirror would come down when pressing the shutter a second time. (M mode with a 30 sec exposure will result in an inability to do anything for that timelength)
-Mirror lockup for cleaning, can only be exited by turning the camera off I think (but the sensor wouldn't be floating in that instance, so we can exclude this posibility also)
10-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
thank you i will look in to it
10-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
-Are you by any chance in Bulb mode? Although then the mirror would come down when pressing the shutter a second time. (M mode with a 30 sec exposure will result in an inability to do anything for that timelength)
That would be "B" mode using option 2. Option 1 allows the shutter to close on button release. Long exposure time in any mode will also result in similar behavior, a good example might be having the lens cap on at the start of the exposure in green, P, or Av mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
-another possibility is the "mirror flap" problem some K-3s develop
Mirror flap (more descriptively "runaway mirror") is rapid machine gun cycling of the mirror on shutter release found in some early production K-3. The problem was isolated and fixed in production summer of 2014 and a warranty fix offered to existing owners at that time. A firmware patch to detect and abort the runaway condition was offered in firmware v1.11 fall of that year.*

That aside, camera lock-up such as this is often an indication of a power issue (low or old battery) or a problem with the camera's electronics due to defect or something like moisture intrusion or physical damage.

Steve

* My K-3 was made November of 2013 and is in the range of effected serial numbers, but has been free of the issue.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-13-2019 at 10:29 AM.
10-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I forgot to add the possibility of the drive mode being set to "mirror-up".

Steve
10-14-2019, 06:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks to all I have updated the Pentax k3 firmware and will try it out today thank again
10-14-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here is the link to the manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3.pdf

owners reviews

Pentax K-3 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

and in depth review
QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-3 Review
Introduction
Originally announced on October 7th, 2013, the Pentax K-3 is the exciting new flagship 24-megapixel APS-C DSLR from Pentax which will be replacing the outgoing K-5 II and K-5 IIs models. This camera delivers numerous enhancements over the aging Pentax K-5 family of DSLRs, which was originally introduced more than three years ago, in September 2010. Targeted mainly at advanced photographers and enthusiasts, the K-3's improved key specifications are now on par with (or better than) those of the Nikon D7100, its closest competitor within the DSLR realm

Read more at: Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

have you looked at getting the e book

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, KP, K-70, K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2) - PentaxForums.com

good luck