Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Suggestions for a camera case that'll fit the K3 + Sigma ART 18-35 + O-ME53 eyecup?

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a concerted effort to carry my K3 more often. I know it's monstrous in size, but the 18-35 just fits my sensibility. Is there an SLR case you could recommend that'll fit this combination?

My goal is to protect the camera in my daily carry backpack w/o taking up *too* much room; as such, a semi-hard or hard case seems like it would be in order. It doesn't need to stay with the camera when I'm using it, just protect from bumps while in my bag. I'd sacrifice the battery grip to cut the size down a bit.

Thanks

Last edited by phreon; 11-12-2019 at 08:06 AM.
11-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
take a look at the genious and extremly robust Think Tank Digital Holster with its expandable room.

Digital Holster 20 for standard DSLR camera with 70-200 hood reversed ? Think Tank Photo
I use it for my K1 with DA*60-250 (expanded) and the K1 with the DFA 24-70 (compact)

https://player.vimeo.com/video/125907035?byline=0&portrait=0
11-12-2019, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have you checked the reviews:

Bags and Cases - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

you looking for a combination case for the camera with the lens mounted correct ?

would a soft wrap do

or do you want more protection than that ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-12-2019 at 08:22 AM.
11-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used Case Logic holster bags for both my K-5 and my K-1. They have held up very well after extensive use, travel, and protect the camera despite occasioanl rough handling

11-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Since you want this in your current backpack, you could try a camera bag insert. I have a tenba BYOB 9, for reference it fits my k3ii and da 16-85 with lots of room to spare both in length and height (enough actually for 1-2 more lenses... So perhaps the BYOB 7 is better fitted for your kit plus batteries, filters, etc

I actually use the insert with my hiking backpack, for day to day I have a think tank perception backpack that has camera pouches plus room for other stuff and a laptop.
11-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Pelican Type cases. I have one that should qualify as a cary on (1510 size) that holds my entire gear which is 2 K3 bodies, a DA* 300mm and a 50-135. Plus batteries, charger, spares sd’s And some loose stuff. This tips the scale at 11.5 kg. I also have a smaller one with just a k3 and the 50-135 plus all the loose stuff you need. I can also pack my ipad inthere as well. That works great for me when travelling “light”
11-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
take a look at the genious and extremly robust Think Tank Digital Holster with its expandable room.

Digital Holster 20 for standard DSLR camera with 70-200 hood reversed ? Think Tank Photo
I use it for my K1 with DA*60-250 (expanded) and the K1 with the DFA 24-70 (compact)

Digital Holsters from Think Tank Photo on Vimeo

That's interesting, but maybe still on the bulky side. It has my attention though.

---------- Post added 11-12-19 at 01:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
have you checked the reviews:

Bags and Cases - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

you looking for a combination case for the camera with the lens mounted correct ?

would a soft wrap do

Domke Protective Wrap Bag Review - YouTube

or do you want more protection than that ?

I didn't look at the database, but now that I have, it still doesn't seems to feature what I'm looking for. Most are full bags of various types.

---------- Post added 11-12-19 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I have used Case Logic holster bags for both my K-5 and my K-1. They have held up very well after extensive use, travel, and protect the camera despite occasioanl rough handling
I'll have to give them a look. I suppose the holster style is what I'm really looking for.

Thanks

---------- Post added 11-12-19 at 01:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Since you want this in your current backpack, you could try a camera bag insert. I have a tenba BYOB 9, for reference it fits my k3ii and da 16-85 with lots of room to spare both in length and height (enough actually for 1-2 more lenses... So perhaps the BYOB 7 is better fitted for your kit plus batteries, filters, etc

I actually use the insert with my hiking backpack, for day to day I have a think tank perception backpack that has camera pouches plus room for other stuff and a laptop.
That's getting close, but still much bigger than what I'm looking for.

Thanks

---------- Post added 11-12-19 at 01:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaskebjorn Quote
I use Pelican Type cases. I have one that should qualify as a cary on (1510 size) that holds my entire gear which is 2 K3 bodies, a DA* 300mm and a 50-135. Plus batteries, charger, spares sd’s And some loose stuff. This tips the scale at 11.5 kg. I also have a smaller one with just a k3 and the 50-135 plus all the loose stuff you need. I can also pack my ipad inthere as well. That works great for me when travelling “light”

Pelican style cases would be the ultimate, but would destroy the ability to toss it in a backpack.

Thanks

What I'm looking for would be what is usually called holster style. Something that literally protects the camera alone. In days gone by, this was often a stiff leather cover. I'm looking for something that can protect the camera + lens from the inevitable bumps and tumbles anything in a normal backpack will experience. From eye-cup to lens cap, this setup is exactly 8" long. I already have a large Lowepro backpack that has been a beast over the years; it holds my entire kit. In this case, I'm looking for the opposite. In order of priorty:

1) Protects the camera. The K3 is a robust camera and the Sigma is a well built lens, but a smack in the wrong spot will surely damage it. The stiffer the shell, the better. Backpacks move around in the car, have a habit of falling off chairs, etc.

2) As small as possible: I'm trying to put this in a backpack that also carries my laptop and various stuff. There's plenty of spare room, but something like a rectangular Pelican or other camera case would be a bulky challenge.

3) Reasonably affordable. Though a robust case is far cheaper than camera repairs.

Thanks

Last edited by phreon; 11-12-2019 at 11:56 AM.
11-12-2019, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

You don't hear much about Vanguard camera bags (at least not where I've looked) but they are superb. I found one at a photography show and I had to order it from them. That was many years ago and it has stood up through constant use and is flexible enough to accommodate my changing lenses and needs. I still have a closet full of the other guys bags that either don't close properly or just couldn't adapt to changing needs. In my case it's the Vanguard Alta Rise 43 sling however they offer all sorts of configurations. I use it now for my K3-II with a mounted 50-135 or a small DA-15. Absolutely nothing has warn out. Check them out at this link.. If it ever wears out I'm buying another one.
11-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I decided to give this a shot. It checks all the marks on paper. If it sucks, I'm out $26

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/accessory-genie/product/GRHLHSZ100BKEWDS/
11-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I mostly just use Domke bags now. My favourite is the Domke Original F2...great clips, wonderful strap, heavy duty material, etc...think it is canvas, but I'm guessing. The F2 might be too big for your purposes, but Domke has a range of sizes. I've been trying different bags, cases for 50 years + and for my needs, the Domke is the best I've used and I've used a lot of different makes.

I also need to mention my little camera bag/pouch. I run my pants belt through it, nice quality, fits my very small Ricoh GR ll, which is my daily carry around. It's a Vanguard bag.
11-12-2019, 10:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That amount of money makes it worth the bet, although I can not see what it is as this shop is “not available in your region”
QuoteOriginally posted by phreon Quote
I decided to give this a shot. It checks all the marks on paper. If it sucks, I'm out $26

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/accessory-genie/product/GRHLHSZ100BKEWDS/
11-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I went with Rakutan because I couldn't find the longer version anywhere else. Even the manufacturer's site didn't list it. However, if you use the right keywords, it *is* on Amazon; they call it the "black zoom" version.
amazon.com : USA GEAR Hard Shell DSLR Camera and Zoom Lens Case with Molded EVA Protection, Quick Access Opening and Padded Interior - Compatible with Nikon, Canon, Olympus Cameras with Popular 300mm Lenses : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
11-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I use laptop bag when I put my camera in a backpack together with other things. You know, those anti-shock but relatively soft type.
11-15-2019, 04:58 AM   #14
pid
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phreon Quote
I went with Rakutan because I couldn't find the longer version anywhere else. Even the manufacturer's site didn't list it. However, if you use the right keywords, it *is* on Amazon; they call it the "black zoom" version.
amazon.com : USA GEAR Hard Shell DSLR Camera and Zoom Lens Case with Molded EVA Protection, Quick Access Opening and Padded Interior - Compatible with Nikon, Canon, Olympus Cameras with Popular 300mm Lenses : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
This one is more bulkier and not so versatile than the ThinkTank Holster and not! expandable for longer lenses or a second small one underneath the body with a smaller Zoom.
11-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
This one is more bulkier and not so versatile than the ThinkTank Holster and not! expandable for longer lenses or a second small one underneath the body with a smaller Zoom.
perhaps that would explain why the Think Tank holster costs more ?