Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2019, 07:01 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Grip battery not recognised

Yesterday, my K-3 stopped recognizing the installed grip battery. I played around with different batteries, disconnecting and reconnecting the grip, without any success.
Research on the forum showed several threads over the years mostly to do with firmware issues. I updated mine a couple of weeks ago so I ruled that out.
I bought the camera used about a month ago and noticed the rubber cap for the camera base was missing. I just purchased a new one on line.
with this in mind, I finally decided to try cleaning the contacts, even though they looked fine. I have a spray can of "Deoxit-d5" which I bought many years ago. I did not want to spray it all over the grip or camera base, so I squirted a little on a Q tip and rubbed it on the pins of the grip connector and the flat contacts of the camera. I also wiped the two contacts on the inside of the grip which contact the battery.
After allowing the cleaner to dry (30 seconds tops) I fitted the grip back on and inserted the battery, bingo back in action.
I discovered this stuff in my previous life (before retirement) as an instrument and controls engineer. It's not cheap, about $15 for a 5oz can but its better than other cleaners out there and a little goes a long way.
So if any othrs out there have this problem, it might be worth a try.

12-23-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Yesterday, my K-3 stopped recognizing the installed grip battery. I played around with different batteries, disconnecting and reconnecting the grip, without any success.
Research on the forum showed several threads over the years mostly to do with firmware issues. I updated mine a couple of weeks ago so I ruled that out.
I bought the camera used about a month ago and noticed the rubber cap for the camera base was missing. I just purchased a new one on line.
with this in mind, I finally decided to try cleaning the contacts, even though they looked fine. I have a spray can of "Deoxit-d5" which I bought many years ago. I did not want to spray it all over the grip or camera base, so I squirted a little on a Q tip and rubbed it on the pins of the grip connector and the flat contacts of the camera. I also wiped the two contacts on the inside of the grip which contact the battery.
After allowing the cleaner to dry (30 seconds tops) I fitted the grip back on and inserted the battery, bingo back in action.
I discovered this stuff in my previous life (before retirement) as an instrument and controls engineer. It's not cheap, about $15 for a 5oz can but its better than other cleaners out there and a little goes a long way.
So if any othrs out there have this problem, it might be worth a try.
Very good information, Oxidation seems to be the cause of a lot of electronics issues. I may have to pick up a can just to have around. Beats trying to clean contacts with emery cloth or erasers.
12-23-2019, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #3

DeoxIt is wonderful stuff. Get it in the pen applicator and it will last forever. The pen delivers 100% concentration so any excess should be wiped off with a clean cloth.
12-24-2019, 04:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Grip battery not recognised
Have you checked that none of the contact pins are bent (contact pins on battery grip) ?

12-24-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Have you checked that none of the contact pins are bent (contact pins on battery grip) ?
I saw the bent pins issue on an earlier post and checked that first. They were all straight and moved freely in their spring loaded sockets. Thanks for the input though.
Two days later, it is still working fine.