Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

Double exposure

This morning, one of my K-3s decided that it would take double exposures, i.e. two exposures combined into one file. Not every time, but 6 out of 10 exposures were double, or maybe that should be 12 out of 16. I did finally notice and switched the camera off and on again and the next 16 exposures were all fine.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Just wondering whether I need to panic yet.

03-31-2020, 10:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's possible it was just a random glitch but it's more likely that a bit of errant button pressing -- the nose knows what to do -- changed the drive mode to multiple exposure.

It's nothing to worry about unless it happens again. And if it happens again then take a look at the drive mode setting before you switch the camera off and on again.
03-31-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never had that happen when I hadn't erroneously put the camera into a different drive mode.
03-31-2020, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Happy 32nd of March

03-31-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Possibly an SD card glitch - have you tried with a different card at all ?
03-31-2020, 01:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
... the nose knows what to do -- changed the drive mode to multiple exposure.
BINGO! I never knew my nose was that mischievous

Checking the photo info on the K-3 I note that the first shot today was a single exposure. 5 minutes passed before I took the next photo, which was in multi-exposure mode. In all 12 exposures on my camera show they were taken in m-u mode before the power off/on. What made it more confusing is that not all of them were actually double exposures. Had they been so, I hope I might have worked it out for myself. Playing with the camera just now also identified why they weren't all crap. Pressing the Playback button after taking the first of the 2 multiple exposures means the file gets saved with only the one exposure. It still shows as a multi-exposure shot but it isn't.

Many thanks, I was beginning to think that the K-3 was playing up. Now I am retired, I am not sure I could afford the repair, let alone a new camera.

Finally, I believe the reason my nose became "active" is that the first shot was a bird in flight. So the camera was following it around. Plenty of opportunity for my snout to play an April fool a day early.

Thanks again
03-31-2020, 08:40 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keithw Quote
BINGO! I never knew my nose was that mischievous

Checking the photo info on the K-3 I note that the first shot today was a single exposure. 5 minutes passed before I took the next photo, which was in multi-exposure mode. In all 12 exposures on my camera show they were taken in m-u mode before the power off/on. What made it more confusing is that not all of them were actually double exposures. Had they been so, I hope I might have worked it out for myself. Playing with the camera just now also identified why they weren't all crap. Pressing the Playback button after taking the first of the 2 multiple exposures means the file gets saved with only the one exposure. It still shows as a multi-exposure shot but it isn't.

Many thanks, I was beginning to think that the K-3 was playing up. Now I am retired, I am not sure I could afford the repair, let alone a new camera.

Finally, I believe the reason my nose became "active" is that the first shot was a bird in flight. So the camera was following it around. Plenty of opportunity for my snout to play an April fool a day early.

Thanks again

Good to hear. As you've found out you aren't the first to do that and won't be the last. The K-3 is a wonderful camera and I like mine a lot, and its younger brother the K-3ii.