Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I'm thinking about purchasing a Used K3 version 1
You should also consider the KP, if it's within your budget. I have the K-3 and KP. Much as I love the ergonomics and robustness of the K-3, I reserve it now for use with longer lenses, where the faster burst rate matters (and the lenses balance better on the body). For everything else, I use the KP. For me, the features that the K-3 has which the KP doesn't - such as top LCD, two SD cards slots, larger battery - don't matter so much. The advantages of the KP - especially far better high ISO image quality, superior SR, tilting LCD, pixel shift and the third wheel - outweigh the better ergonomics of the K-3.

Here is a specs comparison between the K-3, K-3ii and KP: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-3&c...I&c3=Pentax+KP
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
The current version of the K3 II does not have a pop-up flash which to me is essential.
The popup flash on the K-3 has twice the output of that on the KP (GN13 v GN6). The KP flash is adequate for fill with subjects not far away, but that's about as far as it goes. But the KP popup (like that on the K-3) can still act as a controller for an off-camera flash (a feature not found in recent entry-level models like the K-S2 and K-70).

If you want a really lightweight travel option, the popup flash on the K-3 can be used with a Rogue Safari flash extender for more throw: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/25628...-extender.html

Overall though I would agree with @AfterPentax ; that a small shoe-mount flash would be a better option than relying on the popup. The Pentax AF-360 FGZ II would give you weather resistance, tilt and swivel and off-camera use out of the box with either the K-3 or KP as controller. The Godox TT350P is another good option: very affordable, compact, lightweight (200g + 2 AA batteries), PTTL, tilt and swivel, HSS and capable of wireless triggering of another Godox flash/strobe; it can also be triggered off-camera by a Godox X-ProP mounted on-camera.

Last edited by Des; 05-14-2020 at 10:42 PM.
05-13-2020, 01:21 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is a big enough jump from 16Mpx to 24Mpx that most find a need to adjust technique to adapt.

Steve
Why would you need to do that?
05-13-2020, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
With more megapixels (at the same sensor size) camerashake (and other movement) will be visible sooner when shown at 100% because of the increased resolution, therefore you might need a higher shutter speed to get sharp images (or you downsample your images, but in that case you wouldn't take advantage of the greater resolution)
05-13-2020, 06:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Ok...

05-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
With more megapixels (at the same sensor size) camerashake (and other movement) will be visible sooner when shown at 100% because of the increased resolution, therefore you might need a higher shutter speed to get sharp images (or you downsample your images, but in that case you wouldn't take advantage of the greater resolution)
Yep...that and attention to focus.

Steve
05-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
The new APS-C is a "new flagship" APS-C and probably in line with the old flagships like the K-3 II. So, what's in a name to call it either a "new K-3" or the "new flagship". Everybody knows what you mean by a new K-3, the more so because Ricoh does not tease us with names or numbers of the new camera, but offers in their press release this description of the new one "Flagship model of our K-mount digital SLR camera equipped with an APS-C size image sensor" so calling it a new K-3 makes it very clear what kind of camera you mean.
Can't say I agree with your logic. IMO, referring to the next APSC as the new K3 suggests a continuation of the K-3 line, in effect a K-3 III.
But that is most certainly not the case. The new APS is no more the new K-3 than it is the new K-5 or new K10D.