Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thinking about buying a K3 vs 1

I'm thinking about purchasing a Used K3 version 1. I know it's kind of late, because a new version of the K3 is coming out in September, but I can get a used one on eBay for less than $500. The reason why I want to purchase a K3 is because of the added resolution(if any) over the K5 IIs, the better focusing, dual card slots, and pixel-shift, plus it's a beautiful camera. Much better looking than the K1. The current version of the K3 II does not have a pop-up flash which to me is essential. That is why I rather have the first version.

05-12-2020, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
pixel-shift
I guess you mean a K-3 II
My K-3 unfortunately doesn't offer pixel-shift

edit: after finishing your text you will have to decide whats more important for you: pixel-shift (K-3 II) or pop-up flash (K-3)
05-12-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

To clarify, it is not a new version of the K3 that is due to be released this Fall/sometimeinthefuture, but an entirely new APS-C camera.

Also note what othar said above: the K3 has a pop-up flash but not pixel shift. The K3-II has pixel shift but no pop-up flash. Most
probably, the new APS-C will also have pixel-shift but no pop-up flash.

FWIW, the original K3 is still an excellent camera, (it is still my current DSLR body).
05-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pixel shift is great technical innovation. Do I use it on my K1.... no. There are many elements to a photograph which will make the difference between a good picture and a great one. Unless you print your images large I doubt PS will feature.

If you use fill flash and like to travel light then a pop up flash is an advantage. If you really want to get into using flash creatively the pop up will not be of use to you.

05-12-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the release date of the K new

is still just a rumor

as far as I know
05-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So the original K3 does not have pixel shift ?
05-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here is the side by side comparison between the two

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-3 II Review
Highlights
Before embarking on the review proper, we present some of the highlights that set the Pentax K-3 II apart from its predecessors, and in many cases also from the competition.
Pixel Shift Super Resolution
The K-3 II's sensor can use microscopic vibrations to greatly enhance image resolution, eliminate artifacts, and reduce noise. It is one of only a handful of digital cameras that natively include this technology. . . .

Read more at: Pentax K-3 II Review - Highlights | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteQuote:
How Pentax Pixel Shifting Works
Super resolution increases image detail while reducing artifacts
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Apr 22, 2015
The Pentax K-3 II debuts an innovative feature called the Pixel-Shifting Resolution System, a type of super-resolution technology that increases the effective level of detail in images without requiring a higher sensor resolution. . . .

the K-3 II may well be able to out-resolve it and thus become the sharpest APS-C camera in the world when used on a tripod.
Read more at: How Pentax Pixel Shifting Works - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-12-2020 at 11:42 AM.
05-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #8

Correct!!!
05-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

So the original K3 does not have pixel shift ?
That's right, it doesn't.

K-3: pop-up flash, no pixel shift, no GPS
K-3 II: pixel shift & GPS, no pop-up flash
05-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you can add this to get GPS on a K 3

Pentax O-GPS1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

QuoteQuote:
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit
Introduction
The Pentax O-GPS1 unit is a small accessory unit that attaches to any K-01, K-5, K-r or 645D (or newer) camera flash hotshoe and provides geotagging of images (latitude, longitude, elevation), an electronic compass, and a simple navigator function. The GPS function also has the option of keeping the camera clock up-to-date. It was announced in June, 2011 and made available shortly thereafter.
On the K-5 & K-r, the unit also provides an Astrotracer function that allows the camera sensor to act as a simple equatorial mount for astrophotography. This allows for exposures of up to five minutes without incurring star trails on the photo . . . .

Read more at: Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

of course you cannot use the flash when it is on the camera
05-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #11
Unregistered User

I'm thinking about purchasing a Used K3 version 1. I know it's kind of late, because a new version of the K3 is coming out in September, but I can get a used one on eBay for less than $500. The reason why I want to purchase a K3 is because of the added resolution(if any) over the K5 IIs, the better focusing, dual card slots, and pixel-shift, plus it's a beautiful camera. Much better looking than the K1. The current version of the K3 II does not have a pop-up flash which to me is essential. That is why I rather have the first version.
I have a K-3 II which I enjoy very much. One of the reasons for that enjoyment is that it lacks a pop-up flash. But I bought a "METZ MECABLITZ 26 AF-2 PENTAX" and that sits on top of my K-3 II. It has the advantage of being able to flash indirectly and there is no shadow with long zoom-barrels. So, if you want pixel-shift buy a K-3 II and if you want a small but handy flash to go with it, buy this lovely Metz Mecablitz. If you really want a pop-up flash, well buy a K-3. I think it is a smart move to use a small external flash instead of a pop-up. The Metz even has a Led-light for lightning when making a film.

---------- Post added 05-12-20 at 01:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
To clarify, it is not a new version of the K3 that is due to be released this Fall/sometimeinthefuture, but an entirely new APS-C camera.

Also note what othar said above: the K3 has a pop-up flash but not pixel shift. The K3-II has pixel shift but no pop-up flash. Most
probably, the new APS-C will also have pixel-shift but no pop-up flash.

FWIW, the original K3 is still an excellent camera, (it is still my current DSLR body).
The new APS-C is a "new flagship" APS-C and probably in line with the old flagships like the K-3 II. So, what's in a name to call it either a "new K-3" or the "new flagship". Everybody knows what you mean by a new K-3, the more so because Ricoh does not tease us with names or numbers of the new camera, but offers in their press release this description of the new one "Flagship model of our K-mount digital SLR camera equipped with an APS-C size image sensor" so calling it a new K-3 makes it very clear what kind of camera you mean.
05-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I have a K-3 II which I enjoy very much. One of the reasons for that enjoyment is that it lacks a pop-up flash. But I bought a "METZ MECABLITZ 26 AF-2 PENTAX" and that sits on top of my K-3 II. It has the advantage of being able to flash indirectly and there is no shadow with long zoom-barrels. So, if you want pixel-shift buy a K-3 II and if you want a small but handy flash to go with it, buy this lovely Metz Mecablitz. If you really want a pop-up flash, well buy a K-3. I think it is a smart move to use a small external flash instead of a pop-up. The Metz even has a Led-light for lightning when making a film.

---------- Post added 05-12-20 at 01:02 PM ----------

The new APS-C is a "new flagship" APS-C and probably in line with the old flagships like the K-3 II. So, what's in a name to call it either a "new K-3" or the "new flagship". Everybody knows what you mean by a new K-3, the more so because Ricoh does not tease us with names or numbers of the new camera, but offers in their press release this description of the new one "Flagship model of our K-mount digital SLR camera equipped with an APS-C size image sensor" so calling it a new K-3 makes it very clear what kind of camera you mean.
How does the Pixel shift work on the K3 ?. I heard its much better on the K1 II.
05-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

How does the Pixel shift work on the K3 ?. I heard its much better on the K1 II.
it doesn't on the K 3

as for how it works on the K 3 II

look at post # 7 and the article link in it

Thinking about buying a K3 vs 1 - PentaxForums.com
05-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
the K3 has a pop-up flash but not pixel shift. The K3-II has pixel shift but no pop-up flash
...and the K-3II has astro-tracer while the K-3 does not...

BTW...the on-board flash on the K-3 can be handy, but to be honest, I have only used mine a handful of times; at GN 13(m), it is not strong enough for other than limited use or as a P-TTL master/controller.

Steve
05-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

added resolution(if any) over the K5 IIs
It is a big enough jump from 16Mpx to 24Mpx that most find a need to adjust technique to adapt.

Steve