Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #1

PlastiDip Rubber Paint ... will it ruin a camera?

I have a Pentax K 3ii and was wanting to paint the rubber part of it... it is weatherproofed (by Pentax) and I basically don't want to ruin that. I have some plastidip paint that I could use on it but don't want to if it will ruin it. Does anyone know if this would be safe? Has anyone customised their camera? What did you use?

05-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
05-23-2020, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Interesting.... I'm no help.... but... as Pentax becomes even more left field as a camera choice it would be interesting if they built their cameras so that some customation was reasonable easily done.... like a wooden grip option or two for the KP.... nothing to impact functionality though (ie WP). I might dable if it was done in a premium and tasteful way.... a bit like Leica.... mm a Silver K1 with a African blackwood grip....

05-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There are too many nooks in crannies in the body to risk that. If you really want to do that I'd remove the rubber part and spray paint it separately and then reglue it on to the body.

Alternatively buy a cheap broken body of any camera and spray paint that so you can see exactly what will happen before potentially ruining your K3.

Last edited by Theov39; 05-23-2020 at 11:02 PM.
05-23-2020, 10:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was, in a former life, an industrial maintenance mechanic in a pasta factory. We used plasti-dip for a few specific applications, as well as for tool handles, insulation, etc. My experience is with the type you actually dip or brush on, as opposed to the spray type. My caution is that you would need to apply it manually, as opposed to dipping it. The finish will most likely be less than mirror-smooth, but that may be what you are looking for.
The only other thing I could see happening is separation at the edges, which happened occasionally on tool handles. Hopefully you don't treat your camera as roughly as I sometimes had to treat my tools 😉.
On the positive side, I don't think it would seep into places you don't want it to, it's too thick for that.
It's an interesting idea, and think it has a lot of potential. Good luck, can't see how it comes out!
05-23-2020, 11:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Looks like I was wrong! You CAN use Plastidip on cameras although I would not do it myself, despite liking it quite a bit on other things.

The Leica M 240 ? Plasti Dipped! | Steve Huff Photo
05-24-2020, 12:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Interesting.... I'm no help.... but... as Pentax becomes even more left field as a camera choice it would be interesting if they built their cameras so that some customation was reasonable easily done.... like a wooden grip option or two for the KP.... nothing to impact functionality though (ie WP). I might dable if it was done in a premium and tasteful way.... a bit like Leica.... mm a Silver K1 with a African blackwood grip....

One thing that I reckon would be great for the KP is if Pentax sold a carveable grip (a la the LX) that you could cut / file / customise to suit your own fingers. I had a look at the existing grips to see if it's possible to replace the plastic with a timber block that you could customise yourself but it looks too complicated for that

05-24-2020, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
One thing that I reckon would be great for the KP is if Pentax sold a carveable grip (a la the LX) that you could cut / file / customise to suit your own fingers. I had a look at the existing grips to see if it's possible to replace the plastic with a timber block that you could customise yourself but it looks too complicated for that
I have started to do a wooden grip for my KP.... must get back to it. I'm at the point of either stuffing it up or winning.... I decided to machine out most of the back of the wooden grip and fill and mould with epoxy.

05-24-2020, 01:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

By going out with a DSLR you are already different from the camera phone selfie stick mob. A Pentax makes you stand out from the Canikon riff-raff. A red, white or yellow K3 II makes you stand out even more?
05-24-2020, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
By going out with a DSLR you are already different from the camera phone selfie stick mob. A Pentax makes you stand out from the Canikon riff-raff. A red, white or yellow K3 II makes you stand out even more?
Or even better, a Pentax K-50 made in the national colors of the Philippines

Last edited by Theov39; 06-28-2020 at 05:42 PM.
05-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

There is one of these in the local classifieds. On the one hand I am holding out for a better price but on the other hand the looks of it is holding me back.

05-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #12

The only negatives I found from google search is that the paint fades and cannot be removed from rubber surfaces.

As suggested previously removing the rubber pieces is probably the way to go instead of having to do complex masking.
05-24-2020, 06:15 PM   #13

Original Poster
lol right? I was going to go with pink to match the UV filter I have that is also pink lolol... because #girl #dork lol

---------- Post added 05-24-20 at 06:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I have started to do a wooden grip for my KP.... must get back to it. I'm at the point of either stuffing it up or winning.... I decided to machine out most of the back of the wooden grip and fill and mould with epoxy.
That is an amazing looking camera... and lens... #cameralust
05-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Pentax makes you stand out from the Canikon riff-raff.
Funny you mention this. I was out the other night and ran into another photographer who saw my camera and said "Pentax, I didn't know they were still around".